Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,244,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have actually heard more than a few Aussies refer to Canadians derisively as "Frozen Yanks".
Never heard that one before. I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,517,382 times
In the past I almost always called Americans Yankees. That was before I started travelling a lot in the south. I rarely call an American a Yank any more because I realize it's an ignorant term that refers only to a small number of Americans in the north east. Can you imagine what some person born and bred in Dixieland would think if you called him YANK? He may think, I'll just beat this boy about the head with this here two by four!!! LOL

Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 AM

4,869 posts, read 10,465,461 times
I never call them Yanks because I've never heard anyone refer to Americans as Yanks in the real world. I'm familiar with the term because the British do it in movies sometimes and the term has been used on forums like these. But people in Montreal always just referred to people from the US as Americans, even if it was in a context where they were annoyed at them.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM

482 posts, read 2,410,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I never hear people in this part of Canada referring to Americans as Yanks. Maybe they do in other parts of Canada but I don't know. Here we call them Americans. Actually, now that I think of it I never hear people here referring to people from any other countries by any other slang or nick-names. We refer to them by their nationality. So, I don't think it's a common trait for most Canadians to call other people by slang names. Maybe it's just a form of politeness and respect or of not wishing to take liberties with other people. I don't know.

We often refer to ourselves as Canucks but even that word is not originally a Canadian term. The term Canuck is first recorded about 1835 as an Americanism, originally referring specifically to a French Canadian but all Canadians have accepted Canuck as their own. I've heard people from America and some other countries refer to Canada and Canadians by other names that are less polite and are usually perceived by most Canadians to be derogatory and intentional insults.

Canadians tend not to use slang terms as much as the British and Australians do... It isn't just with nationalities but in general... Not sure why that is.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:58 PM

148 posts, read 301,314 times
And I have heard Americans refer to Canadians as Mexicans in sweaters. Evidently, there is some discussion as to the merit of Winter Visitors, and some Americans look down on Canadian Winter Visitors as no better than illegal aliens.
I don't understand the reasoning as Winter Visitors pump so much into the economy. But.... whatever....

Old 01-22-2012, 06:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,351,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havikats View Post
And I have heard Americans refer to Canadians as Mexicans in sweaters. Evidently, there is some discussion as to the merit of Winter Visitors, and some Americans look down on Canadian Winter Visitors as no better than illegal aliens.
I don't understand the reasoning as Winter Visitors pump so much into the economy. But.... whatever....
Yep! I've actually heard that as well in the south western states but strangely, not in Florida. Perhaps that's because there are so many latin americans in Florida that they're cautious of using Mexican as a derogatory descriptor.

Back on topic; have never used the term Yank or Yankee as in my life experience the terms were considered insulting.

We had many slang terms for members of the armed forces and as I was in the RCN (yacht club) we would call sailors from the U.K. Limey's or Kippers but can't remember our acronym for U.S. sailors so it couldn't have been too bad.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:46 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,393,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We had many slang terms for members of the armed forces and as I was in the RCN (yacht club) we would call sailors from the U.K. Limey's or Kippers but can't remember our acronym for U.S. sailors so it couldn't have been too bad.
Most common US Army terms I remember for them were Squids or Swabbies. Air Force were Zoomies. Marines were Jarheads. Although one was careful just how one said that, and to whom.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 AM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:
And I have heard Americans refer to Canadians as Mexicans in sweaters. .....
And as Soviet Kanuckistanis, Canooks, Canookies, Candyannes and Canadiasses. LOL. I guess they really love and appreciate us. Not. Mexicans in sweaters, that's a new one for me.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,244,374 times
Quote:
Not a lot of "reasoning" involved there. Annual financial input into Florida alone is estimated at one BILLION dollars. Snowbirds boost Florida economy by one billion dollars annually

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,840,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I never hear people in this part of Canada referring to Americans as Yanks. Maybe they do in other parts of Canada but I don't know. Here we call them Americans. Actually, now that I think of it I never hear people here referring to people from any other countries by any other slang or nick-names. We refer to them by their nationality. So, I don't think it's a common trait for most Canadians to call other people by slang names. Maybe it's just a form of politeness and respect or of not wishing to take liberties with other people. I don't know.

We often refer to ourselves as Canucks but even that word is not originally a Canadian term. The term Canuck is first recorded about 1835 as an Americanism, originally referring specifically to a French Canadian but all Canadians have accepted Canuck as their own. I've heard people from America and some other countries refer to Canada and Canadians by other names that are less polite and are usually perceived by most Canadians to be derogatory and intentional insults.

Seriously? I've never heard an American utter a nasty word about Canadians. I'm serious. Canadians have a reputation of being quite polite around where I am from.

On the other hand, I don't like and in fact think it is very rude when a Brit uses the term "septic", or an Aussie uses "seppo". I think that is pretty sarcastic and nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada