U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-19-2012, 12:30 AM
 
1 posts, read 4,545 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello

I just finally joined the site after lurking a while and hope somebody can help me with some questions I have.

Me and my husband are UK citizens but have lived in the US for 5 years now.
We have reached a point in our lives where we can now start to travel a bit, and the first place we want to visit is Niagara Falls Canada.

Our legal status here in the US is non-immigrant L1 and L2 and we are in the process of AOS to LPR green cards. We both have valid I-94's which are good until August 2013 but we do not have current visas in our passports as those have long since expired. However, our L status ensures our legal presence to live and work here.

I have researched extensively if we are allowed to enter Canada for a short visit then be re-admitted to the US, but I am still unsure if we would be leaving ourselves open to any re-entry problems at the border.

We plan to drive and will use Rainbow Bridge to cross each way.

My understanding is our entry into Canada should be uneventful, given we have UK passports and no visa is required. However, I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me on what happens at the US border coming back?
Is it enough that we have valid I-94's and US drivers licenses?
Would the border officer deem us eligible to return? Or is there anything else we should need? I am worried that we do not have valid visas, but we have never had occasion to apply for them as we have not left the US since we moved here.

I have read some horror stories about people being treated badly and with suspicion at the borders when they don't fit the typical criteria with their travel documents, although I'm sure there are many more who have no problems at all.

If anyone can offer some insight into what we might expect, I'd really appreciate it.
We want to enjoy our stay at Niagara Falls and not be fretting about something going wrong when we leave to return home.

Thanks in advance for any reassurance, and sorry I've waffled on a bit.

Maria
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
6,092 posts, read 9,076,197 times
Reputation: 7238
Take your expired passports with the old entry documents, a copy of your current visa, and your current passports.

Getting into Canada is a non-issue with your UK passport, however the US can be difficult depending on the officer.

If you make it as simple as possible for them, there's less problem. Officially you don't need to take the actual copy of your L1, but it's easier if you do.

If you take your old passport, and your new one, they'll transfer the data to the new passport.

Voice of experience, and now a green card holder. Try travelling once your immigration has been approved, but before you get the card. I nearly was stuck in Guam, but that's a whole other story.

You do know that L1 visas do expire, right? They're good for three years initially, and then renewable twice for two years each time. If the visa has expired, then you don't have any rights to work or be there. Additionaly L1 visas are all dual intent. You can apply to be a permanent resident on all types of L1. Your I-94 doesn't mean anything unless your visa is valid until that date.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 PM
 
30 posts, read 126,275 times
Reputation: 12
As far as I know, if your visa has expired, you cannot come back in without applying for the visa again at the US embassy in Canada even if your I-94 is still valid. I would therefore advise that you check it carefully with a qualified person if you still decide to go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 PM
 
236 posts, read 670,142 times
Reputation: 281
You should contact the federal government border agencies for both the US and Canada (you want to get the correct answer, not random speculation from us strangers on the Web. (o:

You need to find out first what is required to get admitted to Canada when you cross over the border into Canada; contact the Canada Border Services Agency for the details. There's a government Website for the agency that you can find via Google.

The second thing you need to find out is what the USA requires from you in order to allow you back into the USA after you have left the country. Even if you are gone for a very short period of time, you will need to be careful and make sure you have all your documents in order before you take your trip so that you don't get delayed coming back to the USA or run into problems.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:37 AM
 
30,528 posts, read 34,404,997 times
Reputation: 25040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_C View Post
Hello



Me and my husband are UK citizens but have lived in the US for 5 years now.

Our legal status here in the US is non-immigrant L1 and L2 and we are in the process of AOS to LPR green cards. We both have valid I-94's which are good until August 2013 but we do not have current visas in our passports as those have long since expired. However, our L status ensures our legal presence to live and work here.
I wouldnt take the chance of not being eligible to return to the USA just to see some water going over a cliff and a bunch of gawdy souvenir shops, i'd save that trip for a time in the future when you have permanent resident status,American passports and preferably American citizenship..
Plenty of Plan-B options available in the USA..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 03:47 PM
 
51 posts, read 17,616 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_C View Post
Hello

I just finally joined the site after lurking a while and hope somebody can help me with some questions I have.

Me and my husband are UK citizens but have lived in the US for 5 years now.
We have reached a point in our lives where we can now start to travel a bit, and the first place we want to visit is Niagara Falls Canada.

Our legal status here in the US is non-immigrant L1 and L2 and we are in the process of AOS to LPR green cards. We both have valid I-94's which are good until August 2013 but we do not have current visas in our passports as those have long since expired. However, our L status ensures our legal presence to live and work here.

I have researched extensively if we are allowed to enter Canada for a short visit then be re-admitted to the US, but I am still unsure if we would be leaving ourselves open to any re-entry problems at the border.

We plan to drive and will use Rainbow Bridge to cross each way.

My understanding is our entry into Canada should be uneventful, given we have UK passports and no visa is required. However, I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me on what happens at the US border coming back?
Is it enough that we have valid I-94's and US drivers licenses?
Would the border officer deem us eligible to return? Or is there anything else we should need? I am worried that we do not have valid visas, but we have never had occasion to apply for them as we have not left the US since we moved here.

I have read some horror stories about people being treated badly and with suspicion at the borders when they don't fit the typical criteria with their travel documents, although I'm sure there are many more who have no problems at all.

If anyone can offer some insight into what we might expect, I'd really appreciate it.
We want to enjoy our stay at Niagara Falls and not be fretting about something going wrong when we leave to return home.

Thanks in advance for any reassurance, and sorry I've waffled on a bit.

Maria
Sure you can, just watch out for border patrol and US police officers. I'd recommend swimming across. In all seriousness though, I wouldn't do it. Not until you're a green card holder or US citizen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Knob Hill
2,026 posts, read 2,811,587 times
Reputation: 2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wouldnt take the chance of not being eligible to return to the USA just to see some water going over a cliff and a bunch of gawdy souvenir shops, i'd save that trip for a time in the future when you have permanent resident status,American passports and preferably American citizenship..
Plenty of Plan-B options available in the USA..
My thoughts exactly
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 07:38 PM
 
13,882 posts, read 7,667,208 times
Reputation: 9922
Uuh....folks.......this thread was from 2012. Either they've already been and returned unscathed or they've gotten too old to travel now.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top