U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,567,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Spanish ethnicity is not the same as Latin American ethnicity, I'd say.
I'd have agree with you on that and I probably shouldn't have used the term "ethnicity" at all but I was going by the figures quoted in the link I posted.

I have a tendency to be too literal in some of my responses and I sometimes forget that not everyone else is so literal so I apologize for that and will try harder to keep my responses simpler for the benefit of those who are not literal.

Literally, Hispanic does not mean the same thing as Latin American. The OP asked where in Canada are the Hispanics (which literally means Hispanophones or Spanish speakers originally from the Iberian peninsula), he did not ask where are the Latin Americans.

British Columbia has more Hispanics than it does Latin Americans and many of those Hispanics are settled in towns in the Okanagan and in northern coastal BC and northern Vancouver Island. I'm guessing that most of the French speaking Latin Americans in Canada are in Quebec.

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:40 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,415,317 times
Quote:
British Columbia has more Hispanics than it does Latin Americans and many of those Hispanics are settled in towns in the Okanagan and in northern coastal BC and northern Vancouver Island. I'm guessing that most of the French speaking Latin Americans in Canada are in Quebec.
I know of 2 BCers from Mexico who speak French, and their spouses are French and Croatian respectively.
Families who moved here from Peru, Argentina and Panama to live in the lower mainland, speak only English and Spanish. The ones I know are of Japanese and Chinese ethnicity. It's kind of funny when people mistook their accent for those from Quebec. Most of us can't differentiate accents from Qc or Acadian French or Maritime dialects.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM

I didn't realize that we have that many in BC and Metro Vancouver.
The numbers below are based on Census 2006. [StatsCan will release the pertinent data for Census 2011 later this year.]

2006 Community Profiles

Vancouver (Census metropolitan area)
Latin American
Total: 22,695
Male: 10,670
Female: 12,025

British Columbia
Latin American
Total: 28,965
Male: 13,385
Female: 15,575

Metro Vancouver's Latin American community. The darker the colour, the more people there from this ethnic group. The top five neighbourhoods are shown in yellow. These maps were created using data adapted from Statistics Canada Census Tract Boundary Files (Cat. 92-168-X) and Census Tract Profiles (Cat. 92-597-X), 2006 Census.
Photograph by: Statistics Canada, ...

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/554...?size=620x400s

Calgary (Census metropolitan area)
Latin American
Total: 13,410
Male: 6,490
Female: 6,920

Alberta
Latin American
Total: 27,265
Male: 13,410
Female: 13,855

Montreal (Census metropolitan area)
Latin American
Total: 75,400
Male: 37,220
Female: 38,180

Quebec
Latin American
Total: 89,510
Male: 44,000
Female: 45,510

Old 02-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Interesting stats and map Dougie. I would love to find out what the stats are for Hispanics (as compared to Latin Americans) for all of BC. The area that I grew up in as a child (talking '40s and '50s here) was in towns along the northern coastal areas - i.e. north of Bella Coola - places like Ocean Falls, Kitimat, Terrace, Prince Rupert, Smithers. At that time the majority of settlers in those towns were people from Portugal, Italy, Ukraine and Germany. Most especially Portuguese in Kitimat and Terrace and throughout the Bulkley Valley (Smithers) which still have a very high Portuguese demographic and influence. A full half of the kids I went to school with in Kitimat and Terrace were kids whose parents or grandparents had immigrated from Portugal and those kids all spoke Portuguese and English fluently and interchangeably. There used to be a lot of Portuguese folks in the Okanagan and the Similkameen and Nicola Valleys back then too. I don't know if that is still the case today.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-15-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Interesting stats and map Dougie. I would love to find out what the stats are for Hispanics (as compared to Latin Americans) for all of BC.
Portugese and Spanish (or Spaniards as some prefer it) are Europeans.

Unfortunately 'Latin Americans' is loosely termed here to include also Hispanic Americans (people originate from Mexico and the US).
Community Profiles from the 2006 Census, Statistics Canada - Census Metropolitan Area/Census Agglomeration (http://tinyurl.com/7nuhsmt - broken link)

My guess is that in BC, the ratio of Hispanics / Latin Americans is roughly 3 :1
We have around 111 Mexican restaurants, but only 34 Peruvian / Argentian / Chilean / Brazilian restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Literally, Hispanic does not mean the same thing as Latin American. The OP asked where in Canada are the Hispanics (which literally means Hispanophones or Spanish speakers originally from the Iberian peninsula), he did not ask where are the Latin Americans.

You're right on this one.

Last edited by dougie86; 02-15-2012 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: added last sentence

Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,138,090 times
People from Spain are Hispanic.

People from Portugal are not.

Also:
People from Colombia, El Salvador, Argentina, Mexico, etc.... are Hispanic.

People from Brazil are not.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
People from Spain are Hispanic.

People from Portugal are not.

Also:
People from Colombia, El Salvador, Argentina, Mexico, etc.... are Hispanic.

People from Brazil are not.
The above may or may not be all true now as times have changed. I don't know.

Originally Hispanics were all the people who had their origins in the Iberian Peninsula. The Iberian Pensinsula consists of Portugal, Spain, Andorra and Gibraltar. That means Portuguese Brazilians are Hispanics as well as being Lusophones. If the people of Brazil (lusophones), Colombia, El Salvador, Argentina, Mexico, etc., etc. have their ancestral origins in the Iberian Pensinsula then they are all Hispanics and obviously those born in the Americas have also become referred to as Latin Americans.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 892 times
My family & I are considering moving to Canada, this would be our first time ever moving out of the state...
I'm curious to know which would be the best cities where we would find Hispanics
We're from Texas.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:22 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,484,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella6876 View Post
My family & I are considering moving to Canada, this would be our first time ever moving out of the state...
I'm curious to know which would be the best cities where we would find Hispanics
We're from Texas.
As you've likely read here, Canada isn't Hispanic in the way the United States is. Cities considered not very Hispanic in the US like Boston and Portland would be very Hispanic compared to even the most Hispanic Canadian cities, which are Toronto and Montreal. Since you say you've only lived in your state, I am guessing you prefer to use English, so Toronto it is, most Hispanics in Montreal speak Spanish best, then French, then English if they speak English at all.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:37 PM

279 posts, read 279,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
And shouldn't French Canadians be considered "Latin American"

I'm not a historian, but, didn't the English and the French come to that part of North America about the same time? How would that make the French Latin Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or