Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 05:21 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella6876 View Post
My family & I are considering moving to Canada, this would be our first time ever moving out of the state...
I'm curious to know which would be the best cities where we would find Hispanics
We're from Texas.
Ontario - Toronto ( best choice) , Brampton

I am from Toronto... I must have Hispanic radar ... but like everywhere I go I meet Hispanic people. That does not mean that there is a huge percentage in the city compared to other major cities the USA, but the there are certainly here. Also what do you mean by Hispanic ... ex Mexican, Central American or South American. You can ever get country specific. Best starting point would be doing a google search for what ever country you are interesting in ex Mexican Association Toronto ... and then contact them. Also try and contact the Hispanic Association in Toronto ... they would also might be able to guide you. I can't speak of every part of Ontario, but in Toronto you are 100% going to find Hispanic Associations, Cultural/ Social Events, Restaurants and Grocery Stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM

5,890 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat25912 View Post
I'm not a historian, but, didn't the English and the French come to that part of North America about the same time? How would that make the French Latin Americans?
Not sure what you mean? French is a Latin derived language just like Spanish, English is considered a Germanic language. As for when the French arrived, settlement of Canada by the French largely took place in the 1600s, with some French immigration continuing up to 1760. Immigration by the English mostly took place after 1760 with significant numbers continuing up until the mid-late 1900s.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:45 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Ontario - Toronto ( best choice) , Brampton
Brampton?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Brampton?
It does have the highest percentage of Latin Americans out of any suburb (905) according to the 2011 NHS at 2.2% although Toronto still has more at 2.8%.

If you look at a smaller scale, like Federal Electoral Districts (which have about 100,000 people), Brampton Centre is the suburban FED which the highest percentage at 3.3% Latin American.

However, there are some in northwest Toronto with significantly more Latin Americans - though still less than in American cities.

York West: 9.1% (Jane-Finch, Humberlea, Black Creek, Emery)
York South-Weston: 9.0% (Weston, Mt Dennis, Syme, Rustic, Silverthorne, Amesbury)
Davenport: 6.6% (Fairbank, Corso Italia, Bloordale, Little Portugal)
York Centre: 4.5% (Downsview, Bathurst Manor, Wilson Heights, Westminster-Branson)
Etobicoke North: 4.3% (Rexdale, Mt Olive, Thistletown, Kingsview Village, Willowridge)

After that, Brampton Centre is #6 (out of about 50-60) in the GTA for having the most Latin Americans.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GTA's Latin American community has been shifting more into suburbs like Brampton since 2011 either. Anyways, it depends what you're looking for, what your priorities are, and what you can afford. Brampton, Amesbury and Little Portugal are all rather different from each other.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
It does have the highest percentage of Latin Americans out of any suburb (905) according to the 2011 NHS at 2.2% although Toronto still has more at 2.8%.

I have been to Brampton. I don't see how this makes it one of the best place for Hispanics. Is it more affordable than other areas? Aside from that, there is nothing there that would specifically attract Hispanics.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I have been to Brampton. I don't see how this makes it one of the best place for Hispanics. Is it more affordable than other areas? Aside from that, there is nothing there that would specifically attract Hispanics.
I suppose certain parts of Brampton you'd have a better chance of finding Hispanic friends, but yeah there isn't that much for Hispanics in Brampton in terms of stores and restaurants. It's mostly about the same factors that would cause other people to pick Brampton over inner or outer NW Toronto. IE Brampton is cheaper than inner NW and has less social issues than outer NW, but also has poorer access to jobs and the city in general.

FYI you can see where various ethnic groups live by census tracts on these maps
Toronto Social Atlas - Demographics - Your City | City of Toronto

It's not perfect since some of the rapid growing census tracts on the suburban fringe have larger populations (10,000-25,000) than the typical census tract (3,000-8,000) but it does give a rough idea. It's also from the 2006 census, according to 2011 NHS data, it seems like the Latin American population has increased in Brampton and Mississauga, as well as along the Dufferin-Jane corridor of Toronto.

Last edited by memph; 12-01-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 05:36 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
The Hispanic population is small compared to the US and no nationality group dominates.

Biggest concentrations would be in Toronto (particularly the NW section) and Montreal.

London, Ontario apparently has a decent sized Colombian population.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:41 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
Quote:
Yeah there isn't that much for Hispanics in Brampton, it's mostly about the same factors that would cause other people to pick Brampton over inner or outer NW Toronto. IE Brampton is cheaper than inner NW and has less social issues than outer NW, but also has poorer access to jobs and the city in general.

It's not perfect since some of the rapid growing census tracts on the suburban fringe have larger populations (10,000-25,000) than the typical census tract (3,000-8,000) but it does give a rough idea. It's also from the 2006 census, according to 2011 NHS data, it seems like the Latin American population has increased in Brampton and Mississauga, as well as along the Dufferin-Jane corridor of Toronto.
Yeah, there are basically four suburban migration zones in the GTA: west, northwest, north and east. The somewhat sizable Hispanic presence in Brampton isn't that surprising.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:34 PM

Default Brampton ...

Quote:
Brampton?
Yes.... it sounds crazy because when people think of Brampton they usually think of East Indian or Pakistani people making up most of the population, whcih is still true, but the amount of Hispanic people in the the Brampton/Miss. Area is growing the reason is likely due to housing prices. You do still tend to get more house/land volume for your price in Brampton and think about this way most of the Hispanic Population in this city lives in the West End of Toronto... maybe people when looking for a better deal or to buy a home are looking just outside the part of the city they live in. You can also tell for the increase in Latin Events in that Area. Also a lot of the Hispanic people I knew growing up have moved to Miss. or Brampton. When new immigrants come ... the flock to Toronto and at first many can't drive and needs to use public transit to get around. Once people get settled in and drive ... why say in Toronto unless you actually have a job in Toronto? Also this is likely why a lot of Hispanic artists play at the Power Aide Centre in Brampton. There are many many many venues big and small in Toronto... but they are playing in that area.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:54 PM

Default .....

Quote:
I suppose certain parts of Brampton you'd have a better chance of finding Hispanic friends, but yeah there isn't that much for Hispanics in Brampton in terms of stores and restaurants. It's mostly about the same factors that would cause other people to pick Brampton over inner or outer NW Toronto. IE Brampton is cheaper than inner NW and has less social issues than outer NW, but also has poorer access to jobs and the city in general.

Yup... that is about right.

It is pretty crazy that they have said concentrated to the same pockets.

I am not comparing to other cultural groups in the city... but by just looking at this map and knowing my city it actually suggests that the Hispanic Population Toronto is still significantly having economonic challenges in Toronto. A lost of the areas that seems to have higher Spanish speaking populations are also lower income. Also areas with higher crime/ gang activity ( I am 100% not saying there is a link) as a lot of this gangs have gone multicultural ( go Toronto .... even our criminals are embracing multiculturalism)! I know in one of these areas I was walking through to get to this store to buy something and I literally saw a MS 13 logo spray painted on the walls of an appartment building. If you walk through Toronto rather then drive you see different gang symbols in different areas spray painted. I have noticed this trends in several areas in the city and think it is note worthy. I am not trying to get off track... and I am not trying to link Hispanics with gangs or crime at all because this has nothing to do with cultural in this city ... gangs tend to have more to do with lower income areas in Toronto... may of then which are around Jane Street/ Weston Road ... there is a pocket in south scarborough east of where I live. Ironically minutes away from huge huge huge mansions on the lake front ... I almost bought a property near there that was basically something that needed to be knocked down... but it is too isolated if you don't drive as the buses go no where near there and there is bloody wild animals ex deers, cayotee .... and not to mention a cliff lol).

Also important to note is that is info is from 2011. I am pretty familar with the not so great areas along and off of Jane and you basically know an areas is totally getting out of hand when a major bank decides to close it's loction due to increase safety risk ex Scotiabank at Weston Road and Lawerence.

Again ... East side of the city is looking better and beter everyday !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada