U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:00 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,789,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have been to Brampton. I don't see how this makes it one of the best place for Hispanics. Is it more affordable than other areas? Aside from that, there is nothing there that would specifically attract Hispanics.
I dont think it is the best place for anyone lol.... but it has cheaper rent and housing prices apparently. You get more bang for your buck. It is actually not as bad as I am making it out to be. There is urban Brampton and bushes brampton. I went with my husband to The Brampton Fair Grounds ( which migh acutally be in Caladon?) and he was in love. He loves country type areas ex lots of land and farming... not a lot of house ( I don't .... SO we are never going to move there). I can't say people from the English speaking Caribbean are anywhere specific in the city/ GTA.. we totally invaded everywhere !

If one person moves there .. they tell their freinds ... then other people start moving there and stores start moving there. How to you think we have Filipino stores all around St. Clair and Bathurst now in what was a pretty Jewish area or Anglo area of the city. The city is always changing. Actually funny to note there is a synagogue right across the street from this store that sells roasted pork as advertised in the window... totally not a Kosher situation. Totally reminds of another reality ... where the heck have all the kosher restaurants in that area gone, but that's another story.

Last edited by klmrocks; 12-01-2016 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 07:44 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,755,184 times
It's interesting that Filipinos have moved into the traditionally Jewish Bathurst Corridor in large numbers. These days that area is about 35% Jewish, 10% Filipino I believe.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:47 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,755,184 times
Caribbean immigrants are mostly in the northwestern (running from the old borough of York to Brampton) and eastern sectors (Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax). Less so in the northern and western lakeshore sectors.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:38 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,764,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Yup... that is about right.

It is pretty crazy that they have said concentrated to the same pockets.

I am not comparing to other cultural groups in the city... but by just looking at this map and knowing my city it actually suggests that the Hispanic Population Toronto is still significantly having economonic challenges in Toronto. A lost of the areas that seems to have higher Spanish speaking populations are also lower income. Also areas with higher crime/ gang activity ( I am 100% not saying there is a link) as a lot of this gangs have gone multicultural ( go Toronto .... even our criminals are embracing multiculturalism)! I know in one of these areas I was walking through to get to this store to buy something and I literally saw a MS 13 logo spray painted on the walls of an appartment building. If you walk through Toronto rather then drive you see different gang symbols in different areas spray painted. I have noticed this trends in several areas in the city and think it is note worthy. I am not trying to get off track... and I am not trying to link Hispanics with gangs or crime at all because this has nothing to do with cultural in this city ... gangs tend to have more to do with lower income areas in Toronto... may of then which are around Jane Street/ Weston Road ... there is a pocket in south scarborough east of where I live. Ironically minutes away from huge huge huge mansions on the lake front ... I almost bought a property near there that was basically something that needed to be knocked down... but it is too isolated if you don't drive as the buses go no where near there and there is bloody wild animals ex deers, cayotee .... and not to mention a cliff lol).

Also important to note is that is info is from 2011. I am pretty familar with the not so great areas along and off of Jane and you basically know an areas is totally getting out of hand when a major bank decides to close it's loction due to increase safety risk ex Scotiabank at Weston Road and Lawerence.

Again ... East side of the city is looking better and beter everyday !
Those maps are 2006 actually, so yeah, somewhat out of date. If it was 2011 it would still be not too bad, but at least the 2016 census data on ethnic groups is going to be released in less than a year (how geeky does it make me to be excited about census release dates? lol).

I did look through the 2011 data (not available as maps) though, and the areas with the largest Latin American (not quite the same as Hispanic) populations are Jane & Sheppard, Emery, and Weston Rd & Humber Blvd areas. The census tract with the most Latin Americans is 294.02, which is between Jane, Sheppard and the Downsview (Black Creek) ravine. That area is 26% Latin American, and also has 26% of the population that can speak Spanish.

edit: just saw that even though the ethnicity maps are just for 2006, there are still language maps for 2011.

Last edited by memph; 12-01-2016 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 09:17 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,764,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Caribbean immigrants are mostly in the northwestern (running from the old borough of York to Brampton) and eastern sectors (Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax). Less so in the northern and western lakeshore sectors.
True but I think they mostly just live anywhere they can afford to, I think Caribbean immigrants are mostly lower income to middle class and there aren't that many wealthy ones yet, so it would make sense if they lived mostly in lower income to middle class areas. Western lakeshore and northern areas of the GTA are the most expensive parts.

On the other hand, groups like Jews, Bangladeshis and Tibetans mostly live in certain areas but do not live in other areas with similar housing prices.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Default .....

Quote:
It's interesting that Filipinos have moved into the traditionally Jewish Bathurst Corridor in large numbers. These days that area is about 35% Jewish, 10% Filipino I believe.
They are moving there because many of them work as nannies, personal care aides or nurses that are frequently employed by Jewish families in the area. At least that is how it started out then other just moved because other community members lived there.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 PM

Default ....

Quote:
There are a lot of people from the Caribbean in most areas of Toronto. By 2nd generation like me we don't stand out as much ex no accent . Sometimes I wonder if there is still anyone left on the islands.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:46 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Those maps are 2006 actually, so yeah, somewhat out of date. If it was 2011 it would still be not too bad, but at least the 2016 census data on ethnic groups is going to be released in less than a year (how geeky does it make me to be excited about census release dates? lol).

I did look through the 2011 data (not available as maps) though, and the areas with the largest Latin American (not quite the same as Hispanic) populations are Jane & Sheppard, Emery, and Weston Rd & Humber Blvd areas. The census tract with the most Latin Americans is 294.02, which is between Jane, Sheppard and the Downsview (Black Creek) ravine. That area is 26% Latin American, and also has 26% of the population that can speak Spanish.

edit: just saw that even though the ethnicity maps are just for 2006, there are still language maps for 2011.
I was referring to the language maps.
Regardless I already new that as I grew up at Jane and steeles and went to high school in the Jane and sheppard areas. The Catholic high school at Jane and Finch/ Shoreham had a higher Hispanic population though.... but that was a long time ago ( wow I just realized how old I am).

The only good mall use your be York dale... but now the bus goes to Vaughn mills which is a great idea. I lived at wonderland as a teen so being about to take the bus straight up Jane would have been great.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,446,854 times
Quote:
and think about this way most of the Hispanic Population in this city lives in the West End of Toronto..

Quote:

Again ... East side of the city is looking better and beter everyday !

lol

Old 12-01-2016, 10:16 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,446,854 times
Quote:
Yup... that is about right.

It is pretty crazy that they have said concentrated to the same pockets.

I am not comparing to other cultural groups in the city... but by just looking at this map and knowing my city it actually suggests that the Hispanic Population Toronto is still significantly having economonic challenges in Toronto. A lost of the areas that seems to have higher Spanish speaking populations are also lower income. Also areas with higher crime/ gang activity ( I am 100% not saying there is a link) as a lot of this gangs have gone multicultural ( go Toronto .... even our criminals are embracing multiculturalism)! I know in one of these areas I was walking through to get to this store to buy something and I literally saw a MS 13 logo spray painted on the walls of an appartment building. If you walk through Toronto rather then drive you see different gang symbols in different areas spray painted. I have noticed this trends in several areas in the city and think it is note worthy. I am not trying to get off track... and I am not trying to link Hispanics with gangs or crime at all because this has nothing to do with cultural in this city ... gangs tend to have more to do with lower income areas in Toronto...
Wow, that is pretty depressing. MS 13 in Toronto? Why???? I would be perfectly ok with all the Hispanics in that area being rounded up and deported. This is why people hate Hispanics (one small country in particular and I dont want to say it) and supported Trump in the US. I know there is no real MS 13 in Toronto but still that **** is embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or