U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:51 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,786,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Wow, that is pretty depressing. MS 13 in Toronto? Why???? I would be perfectly ok with all the Hispanics in that area being rounded up and deported. This is why people hate Hispanics (one small country in particular and I dont want to say it) and supported Trump in the US. I know there is no real MS 13 in Toronto but still that **** is embarrassing.
This was actually not to far from where I live a few years ago. You would never really think that this would be an issue in this area. It is mostly house with a few building. I would think this area remains a high risk area. I always see people hanging out a few places in front of there.. which is really not typical for this area of the city.

This happend not to long ago about 15-20 minute walk from where they have the salsa and st. clair street festival (a few mintues drive). Interesting area of the city were the haves and have nots intersect.

Former gang leader turned fitness instructor shot in Christie Pits was targeted: lawyer - Toronto - CBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thrvidqsb5Q

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/200...ollapsing.html

Central American gang was plotting murder in Toronto, police say - Toronto - CBC News

Anyone reading this who does not know Toronto ( the real Toronto not the GTA/ 905s) well please note this is by no means to suggest Hispanic people in Toronto are casuing problems. This people involved with gangs in Toronto tend to be from lower income areas/ usually government housing areas. This is not the norm at all. Most gangs in Toronto are more geographic ex related to an area of the city and less frequently related to race/culture or nationality specific any more ( though there are still some that are like this). If you walk through varius parts of the city if you pay careful attention you will see gang symbols. Most people don't notice them. Just like every part of the city are a fortune teller (but that is a whole different thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 01:00 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,445,290 times
I saw a lot of Hispanic gang graffiti in Montreal. There are Hispanic gangs in Montreal but anyone familiar with the streets of Montreal knows Hispanic gangs are not major players in anything.....at all. Just a bunch of losers that beat each other up and very occasionally fight with other ethnic groups, mainly Haitians and Arabs. It is pretty embarrassing.

I can't say I noticed any Hispanic gang activity when I lived in Toronto, but then again I rarely went to the areas mentioned above. My world was rather small in Toronto staying in and around the downtown area. The plotting to kill a police officer is very serious. I hope all those involved were promptly deported along with their families.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:59 PM

Default ....

Quote:
I saw a lot of Hispanic gang graffiti in Montreal. There are Hispanic gangs in Montreal but anyone familiar with the streets of Montreal knows Hispanic gangs are not major players in anything.....at all. Just a bunch of losers that beat each other up and very occasionally fight with other ethnic groups, mainly Haitians and Arabs. It is pretty embarrassing.

I can't say I noticed any Hispanic gang activity when I lived in Toronto, but then again I rarely went to the areas mentioned above. My world was rather small in Toronto staying in and around the downtown area. The plotting to kill a police officer is very serious. I hope all those involved were promptly deported along with their families.
Around where I grew up basically there were streets that were grew where rougher and to avoid. Ex Gossford east to Jane. Basically anywhere east of Jane from Steetles to Finch, but I had no business there so I have no idea what is east of Jane from Steeles to Finch other then York U and Pioneer Village.. but if I went there I would walk along Steeles and not Shoreham. In elementary school you could easily tell the kids that lived on the east side of Jane Street. The problems with mainly in that pocket. The only areas were most kids that grew up in the west side of jane mixed with the kids that grew up in the east side Jane was in school or the nicer parks that were in the West side ex Hullmar Park and the other big park in that area. I know as a teenage female I almost ran in to problems several times with large groups of guys hanging around there late a night and then we live never went back to the park or walked down gossfort. We always walked down hullmar. Even walking down Jane was uncomfortable. I went to high school in another area, but in elementary school there were some mention of some people in the east side of jane involved with gangs. I totally wonder what happened to some of those people. The high schools in that area really really suck. I dont really know anyone who graduated from Regina Pacis or West View that really went on to do anything amazing. I am 100% glad I got accepted in high school out of the area.

I personally think that people involved in gangs in Toronto usually sick to own areas ex so if you dont living in or around Ontario Housing you are not likely going to notice anything obvious ex groups of people wearing matching bandanas.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

I personally think that people involved in gangs in Toronto usually sick to own areas ex so if you dont living in or around Ontario Housing you are not likely going to notice anything obvious ex groups of people wearing matching bandanas.
Lol Do kids do that in Toronto?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:20 AM

Default ......

Quote:
Lol Do kids do that in Toronto?
In my area of Toronto when I was in my early teens some started too. Please note I grew up in an area that shared the same schools as the kids/teens that were in 3 gangs in the city as this specific area has 3 gangs associated with it which is kind of crazy considering how close they are to each other. I likely went to elementary school with some kids that ended up involved with the Driftwood Crips and the other 2 gangs apparently associated with either side of Jane and Finch. I did not go to high school in the area and all I have to say is thank god. I went to West View Col. once to get permission to apply to another high school out side the area as it was a formality expected and with in 30 seconds of entering the school witness this guys and his friends getting to a physical fight and then a whole swarm of people getting in to a fight about it. I got my paper signs and go the hell out of there. Regina Pacis was also another rotten high school in the area. I think if the city wants to really help this community they need to invest more in helping to support some of these really at high risk kids/teens get in to special programs. They likely do have a clue as to all the options available for them out there. I was just luck I got exposed to people from other areas so I could see all the other options. Ex I never heard of the profession I do for a living growing up in my area. Until I actually was 1/2 through university I serious though an engineer was someone drove a train lol. I have no idea of the full extent of what that profession was. When you know all the options ... you really loose out. These kids needs more mentoring and need to be dragged out of the area to see what else the city has to off ex museums, art galleries, the financial district ... theatre etc. It might be different now ... but when I grew up there the Toronto I know now was nothing that I was really exposed to.

Re-attire ... I don't see bandanas any more. Now it is likely more tattoo recognition and other fashions accessories. I also don't live or go around these areas often anymore. This is likely why I can comfortably roam around the city at all hours alone with out any issues.

I really would love to hear from someone who actually lives around Jane and Steeles/ Jane and Finch now to share how they find things are now. Especially a female. I would visit.... but it is totally out of my way.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:59 AM

749 posts, read 597,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The above may or may not be all true now as times have changed. I don't know.

Originally Hispanics were all the people who had their origins in the Iberian Peninsula. The Iberian Pensinsula consists of Portugal, Spain, Andorra and Gibraltar. That means Portuguese Brazilians are Hispanics as well as being Lusophones. If the people of Brazil (lusophones), Colombia, El Salvador, Argentina, Mexico, etc., etc. have their ancestral origins in the Iberian Pensinsula then they are all Hispanics and obviously those born in the Americas have also become referred to as Latin Americans.

You're wrong. There is a lot of confusion because Ancient Hispania, Hispanic, Iberian peninsula are different terms with different meanings used interchangeably.
Roman Hispania was a Roman administrative section, it ceased existing some 1500 years ago and shouldn't be regarded as we would consider a modern-day country. It would be like saying that Canadians are first nation people, that would be just laughable.

Iberian Peninsula is a geographical entity, not a nationality nor a ethnicity.

Hispanic used as ethnicity is mostly a US american census concept to designate people from Latin-American Spanish speaking countries, notably Mexico, El Salvador, Cuba and that type of countries. Spaniards HATE being called Hispanics in the US.

Lastly, there are very little Portuguese in Brazil. Many Brazilian have some, and often not more than little Portuguese ancestry, among other heritages. Brazilians are not Portuguese people living in Brazil, the same way Americans are not English in the US.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:52 AM

7,257 posts, read 6,594,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post

Iberian Peninsula is a geographical entity, not a nationality nor a ethnicity.
That's what I said. Maybe you should read my post again a little more carefully to comprehend what I said.

In any case, I'm not wishing to debate the issue but I prefer my own explanation over yours so I'll just leave it at that and say no more on the matter.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
In my area of Toronto when I was in my early teens some started too. Please note I grew up in an area that shared the same schools as the kids/teens that were in 3 gangs in the city as this specific area has 3 gangs associated with it which is kind of crazy considering how close they are to each other. I likely went to elementary school with some kids that ended up involved with the Driftwood Crips and the other 2 gangs apparently associated with either side of Jane and Finch. I did not go to high school in the area and all I have to say is thank god. I went to West View Col. once to get permission to apply to another high school out side the area as it was a formality expected and with in 30 seconds of entering the school witness this guys and his friends getting to a physical fight and then a whole swarm of people getting in to a fight about it. I got my paper signs and go the hell out of there. Regina Pacis was also another rotten high school in the area. I think if the city wants to really help this community they need to invest more in helping to support some of these really at high risk kids/teens get in to special programs. They likely do have a clue as to all the options available for them out there. I was just luck I got exposed to people from other areas so I could see all the other options
It saddens me to hear this. Toronto is such a great city, why do kids feel the need to be like this? Why do you think this is happening, what is going on over there? I have to say when I hear about "crips" or "bloods" in Canada it makes me cringe. Being in a gang is stupid to begin with but can't these kids have little more originality? I mean seriously...lol I really hope it's not Hispanic kids claiming bloods and crips over there because there couldn't be anything more anti-hispanic than the bloods and crips. Maybe the kkk, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
. When you know all the options ... you really loose out. These kids needs more mentoring and need to be dragged out of the area to see what else the city has to off ex museums, art galleries, the financial district ... theatre etc. It might be different now ... but when I grew up there the Toronto I know now was nothing that I was really exposed to.
I agree. Sometimes people need to get out of their areas and get exposed to other way of life and other points of views. I have seen this help people.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
It saddens me to hear this. Toronto is such a great city, why do kids feel the need to be like this? Why do you think this is happening, what is going on over there? I have to say when I hear about "crips" or "bloods" in Canada it makes me cringe. Being in a gang is stupid to begin with but can't these kids have little more originality? I mean seriously...lol I really hope it's not Hispanic kids claiming bloods and crips over there because there couldn't be anything more anti-hispanic than the bloods and crips. Maybe the kkk, that's it.

I agree. Sometimes people need to get out of their areas and get exposed to other way of life and other points of views. I have seen this help people.

I think at least in the area that I lived in growing up the kids that got involved in this stuff where mainly from problem homes or other family members where also involved. As I mentioned before I never walked east of Jane on Driftwood. No one every specifically told me not to... but it was just sort of understood.

Wow thinking about this really makes me wonder what happened to some of these people. There are few that totally fell off the radar and I question if the same followed the same pattern as their parents and remained in the Ontario Housing situation. After leaving this area like a decade ago ... I wonder how it has changed.

Toronto totally has lots of social layers and it becomes really easy to forgot that some times ( at least for me). I think I am actually starting to forgot how things were/ are living in certain areas of the city. It might be time to bring my own kid back there for a visit to get a taste of why I choose to work so much. I left that area maybe 1 year afer I had my kid. This is often the tricky choice parents needs to make in areas like that... spending time with my family or being able to fiancially support my family. I had to leave my 2 months old baby with my mother while I worked 50-60 hours a week to try to make sure we had money. Hard choice... but it paid off.

I got to wonder if when in lower income areas people are so focused on trying to survive ... paying the next bill making sure dinner is on the table, that they fail to be able to see past the day to day because they are just overwhelemed in the issues of today? Or maybe that was just me.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:33 PM

749 posts, read 597,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's what I said. Maybe you should read my post again a little more carefully to comprehend what I said.

In any case, I'm not wishing to debate the issue but I prefer my own explanation over yours so I'll just leave it at that and say no more on the matter.

Maybe that's what you said in your head, but you forgot to write it clearly. You're right about not wanting to debate, because facts are not something to debate on. Plus choosing to only talk about topics one is knowledgeable in is always a sign of intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or