U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 PM

7,244 posts, read 6,581,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Hmm ... if it is racist to ask for a white doctor, is it also racist to ask for a hispanic neighbourhood? Is there a difference?

LOL. Your question made me think of your post about the time you got annoyed with some German tourists who were privately speaking in German to each other instead of speaking English in a public elevator that was shared by you and a bunch of other strangers. Do you remember? ..... you said you spoke up and told the Germans you thought they were being rude for not having their private conversation in English so that all the other strangers in the elevator would understand what the Germans were discussing. You were assuming of course that everyone in the elevator understood English in the first place. Was it racist for you to expect the Germans to speak English and for you to expect all the other strangers there to understand English?

I don't think it's racist nor discriminatory for people to want to meet and socialize with other people who share the same common interests, values, languages and backgrounds. So in that sense, it's not racist for a Latino to ask where to find Latino neighbourhoods ....... or any other kinds of neighbourhoods for that matter.

If a dog lover asked where to meet up with fellow dog lovers would it be discrimination against people who are cat lovers? Would it be racism towards cats?

Is it discrimination / racism for there to be websites like this to help people meet up with other people who have the same hobbies and interests and ethnic backgrounds? https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeet...rt=recommended

I think Frankie's question just means that Frankie is new to this country and didn't know about local meet up sites online and he didn't read this whole thread and see posts # 64, 65 and 66 about the Vancouver area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 03:07 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,486,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. Your question made me think of your post about the time you got annoyed with some German tourists who were privately speaking in German to each other instead of speaking English in a public elevator that was shared by you and a bunch of other strangers. Do you remember? ..... you said you spoke up and told the Germans you thought they were being rude for not having their private conversation in English so that all the other strangers in the elevator would understand what the Germans were discussing. You were assuming of course that everyone in the elevator understood English in the first place. Was it racist for you to expect the Germans to speak English and for you to expect all the other strangers there to understand English?

I don't think it's racist nor discriminatory for people to want to meet and socialize with other people who share the same common interests, values, languages and backgrounds. So in that sense, it's not racist for a Latino to ask where to find Latino neighbourhoods ....... or any other kinds of neighbourhoods for that matter.

If a dog lover asked where to meet up with fellow dog lovers would it be discrimination against people who are cat lovers? Would it be racism towards cats?

Is it discrimination / racism for there to be websites like this to help people meet up with other people who have the same hobbies and interests and ethnic backgrounds? https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeet...rt=recommended

I think Frankie's question just means that Frankie is new to this country and didn't know about local meet up sites online and he didn't read this whole thread and see posts # 64, 65 and 66 about the Vancouver area.
Correction ... I didn't tell the Germans they were rude, I translated what they were saying for the benefit of the people I was with. BIG difference. I suspect that you perceived that translating was rude, but that's on you. I believe I knew everyone else in the elevator, so I was well aware of what languages they spoke.

However, you have completely missed the point of my comment. At what point is a request or expectation to seek services or a place to live within cultural familiarity or similarity racism, and when it is simply an acceptable preference? Seeking a place to live that provides a similar or familiar culture is apparently acceptable and not in any way perceived as racism. Seeking medical treatment within a perceived familiar and similar culture is perceived as racism. I am amused at where the divisions are drawn in this fluid world of correctness. I am also amused at how often the word "racism" is used to shut down discussions.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:10 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Hmm ... if it is racist to ask for a white doctor, is it also racist to ask for a hispanic neighbourhood? Is there a difference?
Huge difference.

A white doctor and a black (or whatever color) doctor has essentially no difference in terms of the medical expertise they provide. In a latino neighbourhood one can find family latino culture, food, music etc, which makes new life easy to adapt in the new country.

Do you not see the difference? Choosing a latino neighbourhood is not based on skin colour. It is based on lifestyle/culture. I am not he was not looking for a hispanic neighbourhood where people are completely anglocized/Canadianized.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:12 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Correction ... I didn't tell the Germans they were rude, I translated what they were saying for the benefit of the people I was with. BIG difference. I suspect that you perceived that translating was rude, but that's on you. I believe I knew everyone else in the elevator, so I was well aware of what languages they spoke.

Well, that depends on whether the Germans know everyone in the elevator. If they do, yes, it is a bit inappropriate but not very much so, because they might be talking about something rather insignificant. It would be rude if they were talking about something that is related to other people in the elevator.

If they don't know all of them, then it is their right to have this private conversation in German.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Huge difference.

A white doctor and a black (or whatever color) doctor has essentially no difference in terms of the medical expertise they provide. In a latino neighbourhood one can find family latino culture, food, music etc, which makes new life easy to adapt in the new country.

Do you not see the difference? Choosing a latino neighbourhood is not based on skin colour. It is based on lifestyle/culture. I am not he was not looking for a hispanic neighbourhood where people are completely anglocized/Canadianized.
Of course I see the difference. However, perhaps a woman who wants a "white" doctor is really saying she wants a female doctor who is Christian and originates from Western European or Canadian culture, but she is unable to articulate that properly. Is it okay for a woman to request a medical doctor with whom she can physically and culturally identify? Is it okay for a woman to prefer a neighbourhood / community where she can physically and culturally identify?

Old 06-22-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Well, that depends on whether the Germans know everyone in the elevator. If they do, yes, it is a bit inappropriate but not very much so, because they might be talking about something rather insignificant. It would be rude if they were talking about something that is related to other people in the elevator.

If they don't know all of them, then it is their right to have this private conversation in German.
I actually don't have much patience for people who switch to another language to prevent others from knowing what they are talking about, but each to their own. If what they have to say is not appropriate in public, then it shouldn't be said in any language.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:22 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
I actually don't have much patience for people who switch to another language to prevent others from knowing what they are talking about, but each to their own. If what they have to say is not appropriate in public, then it shouldn't be said in any language.
Unless it's in German (which you've said you speak and I assume is the only language you know other than English), how could you have any idea if people are doing this, and how often?

Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,781,814 times
Quote:

I hate when people do that is it super rude.
I can understand if they dont know how to say a certain thing in the common language everyone there know, but they should try to explain what they are saying in the common language even if they need to flop back to another language for a breif time.

I know people that are really good about that ex they will explain what was said.
My husband is one of those people that does that ex starts speaking in his native language at any given opportunity. I always call him out on that. It annoys the heck out of me. His excuse it that he can express himself better in many circumstances when speaking his native language. Also funny to note sometimes I think he forgets which language he is suppose to be speaking as sometimes he flips back and forth in the same conversation between both languages especially when tired.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Unless it's in German (which you've said you speak and I assume is the only language you know other than English), how could you have any idea if people are doing this, and how often?
There's no reason to assume that I am limited to two languages, is there?
Are you limited to one or two languages?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I hate when people do that is it super rude.
I can understand if they dont know how to say a certain thing in the common language everyone there know, but they should try to explain what they are saying in the common language even if they need to flop back to another language for a breif time.

I know people that are really good about that ex they will explain what was said.
My husband is one of those people that does that ex starts speaking in his native language at any given opportunity. I always call him out on that. It annoys the heck out of me. His excuse it that he can express himself better in many circumstances when speaking his native language. Also funny to note sometimes I think he forgets which language he is suppose to be speaking as sometimes he flips back and forth in the same conversation between both languages especially when tired.
My mom does that ... speaking English and all of a sudden she switches to Friesen. I don't say anything ... just roll with it and hope I can catch everything she's saying. It's completely unintentional ... she's really old, so it's forgivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or