U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 02:31 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,167,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So much for "Winterpeg," huh? I think Manitobans have earned the right to be a little gleeful (okay, we're as giddy as drunks about the weather) but I thought all the prairies were having an abnormally mild winter. We had very few cold spells, Christmas was basically snow-free, most of the snow we got we got in the beginning of March and it was a shock only because we really had no snow on the ground up to then. It's funny how quickly one can get used to the luxury of nice weather.

The only worry is that we had so little rain last year, and with the lack of snowfall, we're worried about a drought. But then again, that would mean no mosquitoes...
Holy guacamole!! 25 in Winnipeg today? Did that set a record?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 11:22 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,548,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Holy guacamole!! 25 in Winnipeg today? Did that set a record?
I think the high for Winnipeg was a lower forecast than my area - but still a record-breaker - we've been having a lot of record-breakers. I think it might have been around 22 or something in Winnipeg - I missed the evening news.

Where I am, south of Winnipeg, it is still 19 above just after midnight. The downside is it is very, very windy. We didn't get as high as we were forecast. Our low is supposed to be 15. And it is supposed to be 25 tomorrow with a chance of thunderstorms. But still very windy. I get migraines and when there is high wind and humidity, it isn't good for my head. But it is such a relief to tend to my horses in the evening wearing my pjs instead of a big parka.

I think the weather is so out of the ordinary, that when the forecasters predict a temperature, what they ought to say is that the highs will be "somewhere between 20 and 30." I don't think they have a clue except very, very warm for this time of the year.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I worked in the garden for a few hours today. I moved some humongous clumps of 8 ft high grasses. Man do those things have roots!!!!!
Happy St. Patrick's day to everyone. It was one of the nicest St. Paddy's day, weather wise I can remember.
My old bones are complaining about all that digging. I'll have to take it easy for the next week or so. LOL
When do you start gardening in your area? When we moved here 20 years ago, I would have my garden in by the middle of May but the last few years were abnormally wet and I wasn't able to get into the garden until June.

Every year I tell myself that I won't bother with a garden - I have so many other things to do here, but then spring comes and my hands start itching to feel the dirt and before I know it, I've planted a garden that would feed a small town. The problem is I love the planting, I hate the weeding, and then everything is ready at the same time and I don't have time to get to it all.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 AM

34,448 posts, read 41,558,091 times
I think the last day for frost potential is May 24. i usually start seeds in early May and small seedlings around mid may here in the Montreal area..

Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 PM

111 posts, read 518,772 times
Yeah, the rule of thumb is the May 24 weekend. At the rate that things have been going in Ontario though a lot of the plants and trees are already blooming. Planting stuff now would be risky if the temperatures do drop a few times.

Hopefully we don't get much frost.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM

Depends where you live - in NB I always went with the "don't plant before the first full moon (or new moon" - can't remember) in JUNE! One year I didn't obey and lost my seedlings
Having daid that, the Farmer's Almanac http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-canada does say May 24th for where I lived!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,403,107 times
In southern Quebec and southern Ontario, Mother's Day weekend in early May is seen by most people as the unofficial kickoff to the gardening season. Of course, people do start earlier, but as of this date it is considered totally safe to plant basically anything you want.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 AM

Well, more officially, the rule of thumb for many people is to plant their gardens on the May long weekend, with many putting out started plants on June 1.

My grandfather always used to say you had to wait until after the last full moon in May.

But I plant according to my gut, most commonly around May 10th, with my started plants out later, and never had a problem.

It's strange to me, that even in warmer parts of the country, the end of May seems to be the time to plant. Maybe our nights here don't get as cold as in these warmer parts of the country?

We are out of our warm patch but just to show how quickly we can be spoiled, our high today was around 5 and rainy and tomorrow it is supposed to be around 7 and rainy. I think our normal high for the time of year is 7, but after temperatures in the 20s, we're all complaining.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 AM

469 posts, read 603,633 times
Default Who are Jimmy, Sally, and Suzy?

In the Molson commercial, Joe Canadian said he didn't know them, but he was sure they were nice. Do any of you know them?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
In the Molson commercial, Joe Canadian said he didn't know them, but he was sure they were nice. Do any of you know them?
Here Chris. Just for you. A song about the Mississippi Delta
june tabor - mississippi summer - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Cb5fUVIqrV0 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or