U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM

469 posts, read 601,818 times

Advertisements

Who now thinks "American Woman" is silly? I heard Burton Cummings say the song was not anti-American, but pro-Canadian. However, I don't think most people who liked the song knew or cared.
It became a Number One hit in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:05 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,156,299 times
From Wikipedia:

Jim Kale, the group's bassist and the song's co-author, explained his take on the lyrics:

The popular misconception was that it was a chauvinistic tune, which was anything but the case. The fact was, we came from a very strait-laced, conservative, laid-back country, and all of a sudden, there we were in Chicago, Detroit, New York all these horrendously large places with their big city problems. After that one particularly grinding tour, it was just a real treat to go home and see the girls we had grown up with. Also, the war was going on, and that was terribly unpopular. We didn't have a draft system in Canada, and we were grateful for that. A lot of people called it anti-American, but it wasn't really. We weren't anti-anything. John Lennon once said that the meanings of all songs come after they are recorded. Someone else has to interpret them."

Personally - I never liked the song - didn't like the tune!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM

179 posts, read 662,308 times
Just got an email from the embassy requesting additional (possibly the last) documents to finish my permanent resident visa

Hopefully I'm back by summer, today was a good day!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,790,765 times
I really want to move to Canada ASAP... just sooooo tired of it here.

I've already applied to jobs in Calgary and Mississauga. Here's hoping?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I really want to move to Canada ASAP... just sooooo tired of it here.

I've already applied to jobs in Calgary and Mississauga. Here's hoping?
Good luck!

Something will come up eventually.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Good luck!

Something will come up eventually.
Thanks! You too!

I've applied to two jobs within my subject range... I know I should expand into others... I just can't figure out what those might be?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:37 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,156,299 times
Quote:
Just got an email from the embassy requesting additional (possibly the last) documents to finish my permanent resident visa

Hopefully I'm back by summer, today was a good day!
Good for you Mexi - fingers crossed!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Thanks! You too!

I've applied to two jobs within my subject range... I know I should expand into others... I just can't figure out what those might be?
What's your profession? There's more than one way to immigrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Good for you Mexi - fingers crossed!
Thanks! It's just a matter of time, running around for papers is a pain though, I have to get police certificates from two different states and medical exams.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
What's your profession? There's more than one way to immigrate.

Thanks! It's just a matter of time, running around for papers is a pain though, I have to get police certificates from two different states and medical exams.
I have a meteorology degree with a strong background in computer programming applications to meteorology.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM

364 posts, read 1,009,163 times
This picture just appeared on my facebook and I thought I would share it here. Let's see if my link works...
http://i.imgur.com/JrYpx.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or