U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 AM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Quite good. Just starting to come off. Yields out here are generally a little thinner, I'd guess most people are in the 50-60 bu/A, maybe a few above and a few below. We're a little bit dry, though not too bad. I've heard that further east, towards Moose Jaw has had virtually no rain, so things might be a little grim that way.
We're very dry here. I can't remember the last time we had measurable rain. I think the winter wheat did well because what rain came came at the right time. But our oat crop, which was seeded in April is also doing well. It was combined yesterday.

(Photos from new camera I am still getting used to. Just seeing if it works )
Attached Thumbnails
*Official Canada Chat Thread*-dsc00163.jpg   *Official Canada Chat Thread*-dsc00115.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 PM

10,900 posts, read 23,170,895 times
Well TGIF to all us Hardworking Canucks I am out but before I Go here is something to Rock out too for the Weekend enjoy!

Rush - Working Man - YouTube

Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 AM

1,269 posts, read 3,415,619 times

Please Move The Deer Crossing - YouTube

Old 12-16-2012, 03:51 AM

Default Walkin' in a winter wonderland

We had a heavy fog the other day which resulted in an equally heavy hoar frost that coated the trees all day. That's Nina, my 6 month old heeler, as the only spot of colour in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
*Official Canada Chat Thread*-dsc00783.jpg  

Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 AM

For Mouldy, especially - what -40something looks like. I think we had two weeks of it. It was nothing like last winter when we had rain in January.

What -40plus feels like is indescribable. Your face burns. It takes seconds for everything in you to feel frozen. You start to feel like a mad trapper. You dress like a mugger with a balaclava and a toque. Every single outside chore takes at least twice as long to complete as usual. It seems impossible that the world will ever be green again.

Yesterday was the first 'mild' day at around -5C but within a day or two we are back to the deep freeze.
Attached Thumbnails
*Official Canada Chat Thread*-dsc00929-2-.jpg  

Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
For Mouldy, especially - what -40something looks like. I think we had two weeks of it. It was nothing like last winter when we had rain in January.

What -40plus feels like is indescribable. Your face burns. It takes seconds for everything in you to feel frozen. You start to feel like a mad trapper. You dress like a mugger with a balaclava and a toque. Every single outside chore takes at least twice as long to complete as usual. It seems impossible that the world will ever be green again.

Yesterday was the first 'mild' day at around -5C but within a day or two we are back to the deep freeze.
Everything breaks when it's cold too

Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Everything breaks when it's cold too
Is it cold out west now? Our 'mild' spell is getting colder as of tomorrow and I'm wondering how long this will last. Most of our hot air comes from Alberta . I anxiously await the next blast of it.

ETA: And I saw small timothy hay bales going for $10 a bale back in early December. What is hay selling for out there, if you know?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Is it cold out west now? Our 'mild' spell is getting colder as of tomorrow and I'm wondering how long this will last. Most of our hot air comes from Alberta . I anxiously await the next blast of it.

ETA: And I saw small timothy hay bales going for $10 a bale back in early December. What is hay selling for out there, if you know?
I'm not sure right now - I've been away for a little bit, working up in Northern Alberta for a little bit (which seems to keep extending to a little bit longer). It's been unfathomably cold the last few days up here.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM

7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
6 months later, is anyone still reading this chat thread?

How are you enjoying and/or coping with your weather now wherever you are?

We've had unseasonably warm weather here in the valley for the past week or so and set some temperature records that were quite oppressive and almost impossible to acclimate to, plus it started spot fires in odd places. This after a particularly chilly spring that started later than usual and then lasted longer than usual. Then summer hit with a bang at the beginning of July. Yesterday was really uncomfortable with temps in the 30's and high humidity but today there was finally a break in the oppressive heat with a small system of thunder, lighting and refreshing showers. The sun is supposed to be back again later this afternoon but it sure was nice this morning to get some showers and cooler temperatures just to freshen things up a bit.

The bears here have been acting very strange this spring. There have been several incidents of them being bolder and more aggressive than usual, stalking and attacking people, livestock, cars and properties. I think maybe because the spring came late and stayed wet and chilly for so long that there wasn't as much food for them as there usually is in this neck of the woods.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM

We had an awful winter, and spring took its time coming here - I think it was one of the latest times for seeding ever. June was cooler than average (we had our last frost on June 1) and July so far has been hot, And unlike last year when we had almost no measurable rain, we've had just enough rain to make the crops look really, really good. I don't have to supplement feed my horses hay so far since the grass came in. Hopefully that is reflected in the price of hay which went through the roof last year.

My eggplant and honeydews look like they are doing best of all in the garden. The dogs have been enjoying the puppy pool and I have been enjoying the people pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or