U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,157,489 times

Advertisements

Storm dumped 102mm/4inch of rain here the other night, lots of flooding and power outages.

News - Ontario Slammed with Severe Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
A weather vent. Two days in a row here of tornado warnings and watches. Grrr. The weather changes every five minutes - one minute funnel clouds and the next the sun shining. One minute I'm running out to get my horses in the barn and the next I'm letting them out, only to rinse and repeat, as funnel clouds appear and disappear all day long. Impossible to get my outside work done.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
A weather vent. Two days in a row here of tornado warnings and watches. Grrr. The weather changes every five minutes - one minute funnel clouds and the next the sun shining. One minute I'm running out to get my horses in the barn and the next I'm letting them out, only to rinse and repeat, as funnel clouds appear and disappear all day long. Impossible to get my outside work done.
Out here, it's been probably the strangest year, weather-wise, that I've ever seen.

We had an incredibly dry spring, followed by a wet (to put it mildly) early summer. We've had those quick thunderstorms, too - some fairly intense, others not.

I'm wondering if the huge amounts of rain we've gotten haven't made a sort of cycle of storms - thunderstorms begin with humid air rising up through drier, cooler air. We've had so much rain, so often, that the soil is saturated. Every new rainfall leaves moisture at the surface as it can't infiltrate the soil. More moisture on the ground has led to higher humidity. Higher humidity leads to greater chances of thunderstorms. More thunderstorms lead to more moisture on the ground...

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Out here, it's been probably the strangest year, weather-wise, that I've ever seen.

We had an incredibly dry spring, followed by a wet (to put it mildly) early summer. We've had those quick thunderstorms, too - some fairly intense, others not.

I'm wondering if the huge amounts of rain we've gotten haven't made a sort of cycle of storms - thunderstorms begin with humid air rising up through drier, cooler air. We've had so much rain, so often, that the soil is saturated. Every new rainfall leaves moisture at the surface as it can't infiltrate the soil. More moisture on the ground has led to higher humidity. Higher humidity leads to greater chances of thunderstorms. More thunderstorms lead to more moisture on the ground...
Last year was probably the strangest I've ever seen in terms of a nearly snowless winter, rain in January, and then almost no rain all year long. Everyone was worrying about the moisture levels this year - people here were desperate for hay. It started off dry, then we had heat in the 30s until this week and this week we have weather that is truly odd. It is far too cold for July - our daytime temps are barely reaching 20 and our nighttime lows are as low as 8. And at the same time, we have a lot of funnel clouds, nothing so far that has caused any damage.

We don't have a good view to the north of our place due to trees. And I was mowing the lawn on Wednesday when I saw the scariest clouds start to slide over the house from the north. Didn't look right. I went inside to check the weather to discover we were under a tornado warning with lots of funnel clouds spotted all around us. I called my parents to warn them, got the horses in, we got some thunder and a bit of a drizzle but my parents who are a half section away from us got half an inch of rain with hail in ten minutes.

Thursday was much of the same, only it was more tornado watches. But really cool temperatures as I said. Nothing we normally associate with tornado weather around here.

It's so very spotty it is hard to do anything outside, particularly when the clouds keep circling back. The first cut of hay was great but the second was cut just before this week's crazy weather. We have enough rain. We aren't saturated but it's not going to be any good for the crops if this keeps up. We have standing water on the yard since yesterday.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 PM

7,223 posts, read 6,575,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post

There's a cycle happening but it's not because of the rain. The rain and storms (and heat waves in other places) are happening because of the unusual cycle caused by the jet stream. I'm not a meteorlogist so I can't explain it the way they can but I've been keeping track of their news. The meteorology world is all abuzz these days with the anomolous patterns that have been happening with the jet stream in the past 3 years and which are becoming more pronounced and weirder with each passing week. Anyway, a partial explanation for what you're presently noticing in your location is that the jet stream has been "idling" over Canada and causing weather systems to spiral backwards across the continent, from east to west instead of from west to east. It's very rare for the jet stream to do this. I tried to find a current news release about it for this week but couldn't find one, so I'm posting the links to these two recent articles - it may give you a better understanding of what I'm making such a terrible hash of trying to explain.

June: Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

July: July Heat Wave 2013 Somehow Stuck In Reverse

Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 PM

7,223 posts, read 6,575,780 times
And now the North Pole has melted and turned into a lake - see pictures: North pole turned into lake from global warming - Your Community

Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,267 times
Just got back from visit to the fine city of Quebec. The last time was in '75. I have to say the two experiences were just a little dissimilar. Previously I have to say 'Anglais' wasn't such a popular language to speak. I felt bad that others at times made us feel bad but what could we do. I lived in the US and that's the language I grew up with. Today well it was a lot different. It was like almost EVERYBODY spoke it. From the looks of it, I can see that some accommodation has been made along the language line now in Quebec through the years? Is everybody then comfortable with it or has there been some resistance? Merci.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 AM

252 posts, read 501,567 times
Anyone from Saskatoon?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 AM

252 posts, read 501,567 times
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSJaGE6rSVs[/VIDEO]

Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And now the North Pole has melted and turned into a lake - see pictures: North pole turned into lake from global warming - Your Community

My super rightwing nj brother insists there is no global warming,any pictures or videos to the contrary are photoshopped or faked its all a liberal plot perpetrated on the world by Obama,Pelosi,and Al Gore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or