U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times

Advertisements

That melt pond is gone now. It was only there for a week and then it melted a hole in the ice and drained away. There are lots of melt ponds up there every summer of course, it looks like a Swiss cheese with more holes than cheese.

Jambo, I understand about your brother. There are many people who still deny there is any kind of change in the climate - I think they're mostly those who aren't personally experiencing it yet or aren't paying attention to any news outside of their own communities.

I no longer pay any attention to the climate change deniers who are all hung up on material gain and obsessed with their political conspiracies and excuses and data about what happened with climates thousands and millions of years ago. People like that are a waste of time to discuss it with because they won't recognize extreme change even when it jumps up and slaps them in the face and the issues they're focused on no longer has any bearing on what's really happening.

But there's even more people now all around the world who are experiencing extreme climate change effects first hand and are having to adapt to it or do their best to mitigate the worst effects of it. Scientists have coined a new term for the extreme effects that have started happening as a consequence of climate change - they're calling it "global weirding phenomenon". I'm more interested in what many other people, countries, governments are doing now to adapt to changes and making preparations to mitigate the worst effects of global weirding phenomenon.

Global weirding is the catastrophic climate changes that accompany global warming, including drought, heat waves, thunderstorms, hurricanes, blizzards, dust storms, plant and animal extinctions and population explosions, spreading pests and diseases, human starvation and social upheaval.

Google

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
^^speaking of global weirding, we are going on our third week of September-like weather, with daytime highs barely scratching the low 20sC, and night time lows have been as low as 6C. We normally get an occasional day like that in the summer, but I can't remember when we have ever had such a long spell of it, or such low night time temperatures. A day of cooler weather now and then is a welcome break from the heat but not three weeks of it.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM

Yup. It's definitely weird all over. Last month there was a few days in Nova Scotia where they had temps over 40C. And here Vancouver/lower mainland hit it's all time record this year, first time in this area's recorded history for the sunniest month of July. No rain in more than a month and very warm temperatures.

Check out the picture below, these are this evening's night time temperatures (my time now at time of posting this) north above the 60th parallel. The north has been getting temps like this for 2 months now, far above normal for this time of year. Look at the temps of the islands in the Arctic Ocean.

Picture taken from this link: North America Weather Map - Current Temperatures of North America F or C - Find Local Weather If you click on the link you can see what the temperatures are all over the world.
Attached Thumbnails
*Official Canada Chat Thread*-na-8-07-13.png  

Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 AM

252 posts, read 501,482 times
I need to buy a new plot. Which is the best City in Canada to invest money?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,007,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My super rightwing nj brother insists there is no global warming,any pictures or videos to the contrary are photoshopped or faked its all a liberal plot perpetrated on the world by Obama,Pelosi,and Al Gore.
Mais oui! Don't you know that anything related to global warming and climate change is a liberal plot designed exclusively to put the big bucks in Al Gore's pocket?
It's like they're all reading from the same play book.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:57 AM

34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Mais oui! Don't you know that anything related to global warming and climate change is a liberal plot designed exclusively to put the big bucks in Al Gore's pocket?
It's like they're all reading from the same play book.
Some one is certainly shaping the way they think and i suspect Rightwing nut job media the likes of Limbaugh/Beck/Fox entertainment are major contributors to this warped way of thinking....
I have a good friend who has been living in Iqaluit for the last 13 years and he tells me how the permafrost is no longer perma in many areas and the result is unrelenting hoardes of mosquitos, hard traveling over mud instead of a frozen surface,, lakes and various water features that are unfrozen much earlier in the spring Etc. Do i believe him or my rightwing nut job brother who lives in a trailer full of guns down in Florida and listens or watches nothing but rightwing media.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-07-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,007,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Some one is certainly shaping the way they think and i suspect Rightwing nut job media the likes of Limbaugh/Beck/Fox entertainment are major contributors to this warped way of thinking....
I have a good friend who has been living in Iqaluit for the last 13 years and he tells me how the permafrost is no longer perma in many areas and the result is unrelenting hoardes of mosquitos, hard traveling over mud instead of a frozen surface,, lakes and various water features that are unfrozen much earlier in the spring Etc. Do i believe him or my rightwing nut job brother who lives in a trailer full of guns down in Florida and listens or watches nothing but rightwing media.
That's exactly it. My niece recently returned from a stint for Doctors Without Borders up in the far north. People are actually dying up there, because for the first time ever, the ice is too unstable to land a Medevac plane. Villages are slipping into the sea and people are scared. Try telling this to any rabid righties over on Politics and Other Controversies. They mock and deride and call me a liar and Gore-worshipper, from their easy chairs in Texas. Completely blind.
It's a very curious phenomenon.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,328,985 times
Just got back from Grand Beach, Manitoba:

Grand Beach, Manitoba by tvdxer, on Flickr

Grand Beach, MB Seagulls by tvdxer, on Flickr

Grand Beach, MB Seagulls by tvdxer, on Flickr

Grand Beach, MB by tvdxer, on Flickr

Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
^^Excellent pictures, tvdxr. We just got out of week number four of September-like weather. I'm thinking the water must have been pretty cold. Did you have coolish weather in your area as well the last month?

It was hot on Sunday here, but we got slammed by rain and hail. It is supposed to feel close to 40C today with the humidity and in the 33ishC range without. Actually, it already feels like 40C. I am about to spend the afternoon in my pool rather than try to do anything in this humidity. It's not so much the heat that bothers me.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 AM

Great pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or