U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 AM

10,902 posts, read 23,181,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And now the North Pole has melted and turned into a lake - see pictures: North pole turned into lake from global warming - Your Community

The link to CBC has added this correction to it:

Correction: Our content partner The Associated Press has issued the following statement, "Editors, photo editors, and photo librarians – please eliminate AP photo NY109 that was sent on Saturday, July 27, 2013. The caption inaccurately stated that “the shallow metlwater lake is occuring due to an unusually warm period.” In fact, the water accumulates in this way every summer.

In addition, the images do not necessarily show conditions at the North Pole, because the weather buoy carrying the camera used by the North Pole Environmental Observatory has drifted hundreds of miles from its original position, which was a few dozen miles from the North Pole."
Source: North pole turned into lake from global warming - Your Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:47 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,337,656 times
Some more pictures of Manitoba, mainly Winnipeg:

Entering Manitoba, through the Pembina, ND border crossing:

Entering Manitoba by tvdxer, on Flickr

Some houses in the Wolesley neighborhood, where I stayed:

The Wolesley neighborhood by tvdxer, on Flickr

While on a walk through Omand Park, I thought it would be cool to get a down-low photo:

Assiniboine River by tvdxer, on Flickr

Little did I know, what I thought was relatively stable clay had the consistency of quicksand. It was up to my thighs:

By the banks of the Assiniboine... by tvdxer, on Flickr

By the banks of the Assiniboine... by tvdxer, on Flickr

The graffiti on the bridge was artistic:

Graffiti by tvdxer, on Flickr

Graffiti by tvdxer, on Flickr

A rather elegant home on the south side of Assiniboine, which my host said was the "rich side":

Elegant Home by tvdxer, on Flickr

Big boys want their toys:

Toys by tvdxer, on Flickr

Wolesley appears to be a "hipster" neighborhood much like Uptown in Minneapolis about 8 hours away:

The Wolesley Scene by tvdxer, on Flickr

Winnipeg had a ridiculous amount of traffic on the arterials:

Typical Winnipeg Traffic by tvdxer, on Flickr

The buildings outside East India Pub & Eatery reminded me of what I've seen in pictures of new upscale developments in Delhi:

Buildings outside East India Pub & Eatery by tvdxer, on Flickr

If you ever get to Winnipeg, I would strongly recommend fasting the entire day and eating at the East India Pub and Eatery, as it is the largest Indian buffet I have ever laid eyes on. Chicken, beef, fish, lamb, even mussels are here. Not to mention the sweets bar, which isn't in this picture.

Indian Buffet by tvdxer, on Flickr

Did I just take a picture of Paul Schaeffer?

Paul Schaeffer? by tvdxer, on Flickr

Winnipeg is truly a city of strip malls:

Strip Mall City by tvdxer, on Flickr

Some important building:

Some important building by tvdxer, on Flickr

The Forks Piers:

The Forks Piers by tvdxer, on Flickr

What I would guess that Winnipeg looks like on a mildly hallucinogenic drug by tvdxer, on Flickr

Old 09-13-2013, 12:56 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,995,127 times
Very interesting podcast: Interview with John Moore, host of Newstalk 1010/CFRB in Toronto. He talks about Canada, USA and a lot more ....

http://radiogirl.us/audio/RG109.mp3

Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 AM

5,691 posts, read 6,537,402 times
There are/were great curtains of northern lights running west- east over Manitoba tonight. They were not striking in terms of colour but more in the length and thickness of them. They were directly over our farm.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
Really nice pics of Winnipeg!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 PM

Here's my horror story of the month. We had SNOW yesterday. For a short while, even at 2C, it was pretty thick with a strong north wind. It might have been pretty if you didn't know you had months and months and months of more snow coming and months and months and months when 2C will seem like a heat wave. Nothing accumulated - so far.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 PM

7,235 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:

Here's my horror story of the month. We had SNOW yesterday. For a short while, even at 2C, it was pretty thick with a strong north wind. It might have been pretty if you didn't know you had months and months and months of more snow coming and months and months and months when 2C will seem like a heat wave. Nothing accumulated - so far.
Well here it is 5 months later and the majority of you having all endured a winter from hell unlike any in decades - how's your accumulation now? Is the snow melting? Are the temperatures more bearable? Is there a hint of flowers peeking up anywhere? Are you facing floods in the immediate future?

Here in the Fraser Valley the temps are in the 10's+ and the snowdrops and crocuses have already come up and are pretty much done with, now the daffodil and tulip leaves are pushing up from the ground. All the bare trees and bushes have swelling buds on them. Yesterday I counted 31 Canada geese flying in V formation headed north over the Pacific Coast Range mountains.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well here it is 5 months later and the majority of you having all endured a winter from hell unlike any in decades - how's your accumulation now? Is the snow melting? Are the temperatures more bearable? Is there a hint of flowers peeking up anywhere? Are you facing floods in the immediate future?

Here in the Fraser Valley the temps are in the 10's+ and the snowdrops and crocuses have already come up and are pretty much done with, now the daffodil and tulip leaves are pushing up from the ground. All the bare trees and bushes have swelling buds on them. Yesterday I counted 31 Canada geese flying in V formation headed north over the Pacific Coast Range mountains.

Sorry, I didn't see this before now. I think we have twice or almost twice the normal snowfall, which is unusual not just because it is so much but because usually a colder than normal winter brings less snowfall, not more. So far the forecasters are saying that there is just a normal risk of a flood because they say the snow isn't holding much moisture (due to the cold sucking it all out, I presume). But, since at the beginning of the winter season, Environment Canada said that it would be a normal winter, and then at the end of December said, sorry, we just didn't see this (the super cold winter) coming but take heart, people! February and March will be above normal (they aren't), and since then have not yet come forward with more apologies and simply chosen to hide in their igloos, I for one don't have faith that there won't be a major flood.

I am staring at the mountains of snow on the yard and wondering when we will run out of room. There's a lot of room on a farm yard but the snow is as high as several older barns. It is also as hard as a rock. The dogs and I have been amusing myself by walking across the top of my fences and round pen. Every now and then in this month we have got a milder (-5C to 2C) day. I noticed that that melted the snow on top of the snow mountains just enough to form an ice layer the next day when the temperature would fall (drastically) and I decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, and bought myself a sled and my heeler dog and I have been seeing how far out onto the field we can slide (pretty far). But that is wearing thin already.

And then of course there was the massive gas pipeline explosion about 25 klicks from our place back in January, the day a blizzard was bearing down and temperatures with windchill were into the -40s if I remember right, which knocked out the gas heating to everyone for miles around. The photo is what I saw when I went out that night at 1:30am to check the barn. I thought a neighbour's house had blown up.

I think our high is supposed to be above freezing today, and then down to -15C for Friday. -15 is only a good temperature in January.

Anyway, in my opinion Environment Canada should go back to divination and foretelling weather by examining the entrails of dead animals.
Attached Thumbnails
*Official Canada Chat Thread*-dsc01227-2-copy.jpg  

Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 AM

1,656 posts, read 1,638,792 times
Gonna be a chilly one this weekend down by the lake for the Toronto FC home opener. The wind is always fun.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:48 PM

It looks like Christmas here tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or