Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 09:15 AM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I would disagree, netwit, that there is no moral. I'd suggest that there is: be kind to animals, and they will reward you with kindness in their own way.

Racehorses, thoroughbreds anyway, do require rehabbing once they retire. Maybe champion studs and mares don't, since they're used for a specific purpose (i.e. breeding); but once a low-grade-to-average thoroughbred has raced for eight years or more, it's not going to get used to retirement and life in the pasture. Especially if it's a gelding, it's got up to 20 years or so of life left in it. These horses have been bred to race, and know how to do nothing else, and like most pro athletes, they're washed up at an early age. They need to be retrained to deal with retirement.

The farm where I boarded my dear old mixed-breed mare had a retired racehorse in the barn. It had not been rehabbed. It belonged to my friend, and all we had to do was to go out on a trail ride, and his horse would try to outrun mine every chance he got. My horse was game, but could not keep up, and while I enjoyed galloping her, I'd generally rein her in before she could hurt herself trying to keep up with that Thoroughbred. She was fine with that, and seemed at times, to be thankful.

On the other hand, I am cheered by what I see when I watch and wager on Santa Anita or Golden Gate Fields or Del Mar at my local race book. In between the promos for upcoming events, there are ads soliciting donations for some California organization that rehabs retired Thoroughbred racehorses. That is good to see, as the organization rehabs the horses, in order to let them live out their full life without being a problem to anybody, and providing riding horses to those who want to learn to ride. Rewarding the people who want to learn more about horses, in other words. Such an organization should exist everywhere racing does.
I am happy to hear about that, too.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:49 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I would disagree, netwit, that there is no moral. I'd suggest that there is: be kind to animals, and they will reward you with kindness in their own way.

Racehorses, thoroughbreds anyway, do require rehabbing once they retire. Maybe champion studs and mares don't, since they're used for a specific purpose (i.e. breeding); but once a low-grade-to-average thoroughbred has raced for eight years or more, it's not going to get used to retirement and life in the pasture. Especially if it's a gelding, it's got up to 20 years or so of life left in it. These horses have been bred to race, and know how to do nothing else, and like most pro athletes, they're washed up at an early age. They need to be retrained to deal with retirement.

The farm where I boarded my dear old mixed-breed mare had a retired racehorse in the barn. It had not been rehabbed. It belonged to my friend, and all we had to do was to go out on a trail ride, and his horse would try to outrun mine every chance he got. My horse was game, but could not keep up, and while I enjoyed galloping her, I'd generally rein her in before she could hurt herself trying to keep up with that Thoroughbred. She was fine with that, and seemed at times, to be thankful.

On the other hand, I am cheered by what I see when I watch and wager on Santa Anita or Golden Gate Fields or Del Mar at my local race book. In between the promos for upcoming events, there are ads soliciting donations for some California organization that rehabs retired Thoroughbred racehorses. That is good to see, as the organization rehabs the horses, in order to let them live out their full life without being a problem to anybody, and providing riding horses to those who want to learn to ride. Rewarding the people who want to learn more about horses, in other words. Such an organization should exist everywhere racing does.
I had to reread my post. Yes, race horses need rehabbing. There are tons of issues with the Thoroughbred industry, starting with the fact that horses are raced before their bones have finished growing. And that a very great deal of them, including Derby winners, end up NOT living out their lives in.peace but in a slaughterhouse.

There are people rehabbing racehorses. The woman I got him from just wasn't one of them. She told me she had "rescued" him, that he was a "rescue" horse. She didn't know how to ride - she liked to hang out at the cheapest boarding stable she could find, not riding him, but using "horse" language, as though she was an expert on horses.

He had no need to be "rescued" from the original stable - when that stable found out she had sold him, they went to the trouble of tracking me down, asking about my property, my plans for the horse, my experience, and asking if they could send their vet over to make sure he was all right, telling me his favourite treat was a warm bran muffin with butter, etc. He was a well-loved horse. They had wrongly believed the woman would give him a good home.

Rehab, that's another story. I rode him. He wasn't walked twice a day. I don't know why I would do that.

And when the woman who sold him to me came to visit him, the horse's eyes got very big. He was close to 17 hands. And he stretched his head way up until he looked like a giraffe and very deliberately ignored her as he walked over to me. If ever a horse spoke "body English," as Judge Judy likes to say, what this horse had to say was loud and clear.

She neither rescued nor rehabbed him. It was just a cool thing to say. That's why I was so amazed at the story she told, which had no part in the truth at all.

I am part of a pet vet group where people post issues with animals and there are posts that come up in which I'm not sure how some of these people were allowed to foster animals, they know so little about animal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 09:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
Happy Thanksgiving all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPWEMZwxKjo&t=10s

Old 10-08-2023, 06:20 AM

126,269 posts, read 19,039,201 times
Happy, peaceful Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians from our home to yours!

Old 10-08-2023, 10:08 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-17-2023, 02:25 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,525,023 times
https://mstdn.social/@MeanwhileinCan...26612776405723
HOW CANADIANS CONFUSE THE WORLD

We measure outside temp in Celsius & oven temp in Fahrenheit
Length in meters & our height in feet
Produce is weighed in kilograms, but people are in pounds
We speak like Americans, spell like Brits & randomly throw in French words
We measure driving distance in hours instead of kms.
Liquids are in litres, unless it's for a recipe - then it's in cups.
Property is measured in hectares, but house size is by square footage

Football fields are in yards, swimming pools are in metres

Old 04-17-2024, 07:35 PM

Can I proudly and self-consciously tell you regulars I have 2 job offers and so I feel I am reentering the human race?

Old 04-17-2024, 07:56 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Can I proudly and self-consciously tell you regulars I have 2 job offers and so I feel I am reentering the human race?
Bravo madame!

Old 04-17-2024, 10:49 PM

1,221 posts, read 494,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Congrats.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bravo madame!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Congrats.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada