Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times

Advertisements

It was free skating day today at the "Rink at the brink". I took my 7 year old grand daughter and she had a blast. What a nice place for a skating rink. For the first hour we were there there was a big rainbow right over the falls. They don't have to resurface the ice too often because the mist is usually falling pretty good and gives the ice a natural recoat. There were lots of American plates in the parking lot. I'm happy our American neighbours are using the facility too. We are looking after daughter number 2's kids this week as she is off in Saskatchewan looking for a house to buy. They cost over twice what they do here in Niagara. Imagine that,paying double to live in that frozen wasteland, LOL. I'm only kidding, I really like SK., honest I do!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
That sounds like fun! I need to learn how to skate one of these days. I wonder if they give lessons to adults lol.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 PM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
It seems like this year the weather patterns across the country are reversed. Usually its more mild temps for the maritimes and very cold temps for the prairies. This year seems to be the opposite.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,132 times
Hey Canucks! I am a Canadian living in the US for a bit. I just got browsing the thread and was laughing at the comment about driving to the US to go to Olive Garden, because that was a priorty for me when we used to cross at Sarnia/Port Huron to go shopping. Now that we live near one, we never go! lol
I was suprised to read there were no Red Lobsters in BC - had to google it just to believe it. I know we went to one when we lived out there (either Prince George or Kamloops). I guess they just forgot to remove the gift cards from the grocery stores??

Old 02-14-2012, 11:28 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
she is off in Saskatchewan looking for a house to buy. They cost over twice what they do here in Niagara. Imagine that,paying double to live in that frozen wasteland, LOL. I'm only kidding, I really like SK., honest I do!!!!
Why is that? Is Sask. booming? Like Alberta?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It was free skating day today at the "Rink at the brink". I took my 7 year old grand daughter and she had a blast. What a nice place for a skating rink. For the first hour we were there there was a big rainbow right over the falls. They don't have to resurface the ice too often because the mist is usually falling pretty good and gives the ice a natural recoat. There were lots of American plates in the parking lot. I'm happy our American neighbours are using the facility too. We are looking after daughter number 2's kids this week as she is off in Saskatchewan looking for a house to buy. They cost over twice what they do here in Niagara. Imagine that,paying double to live in that frozen wasteland, LOL. I'm only kidding, I really like SK., honest I do!!!!
Too far for a day trip but if you ever get the chance to get up to Ottawa in the winter, skating on the Rideau Canal is a lot of fun

Old 02-14-2012, 03:10 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Yup, but it's more a recent boom, they took off a little later than Alberta did. They've got oil and gas of their own, and potash and lumber and all those good things.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
It's booming like crazy. My son in law is a steam fitter and they tell him work is assured for the next 40 years. Half the guys he works with are American tradesmen because there just is not enough Canadians to do the work. The sectors that are booming are the oil and gas sector. Most people don't know that Sk. has lots of oil sands plus major deposits in the Backen formation. The mining sector is going nuts and they will be building lots of new potash mines. This week Harper's trip to China will create a new boom in uranium mining. The farming sector is doing well these last few years and that sector has a lot of spinoff jobs. One of the biggest booms in the USA is next door in North Dakota and n Sk. it is even more so. What I love about Sk. and it should be an example to the entirre world is this. It is the most socially progressive place in the entire western world. There are crown corporations by the dozen. Even though this is the case most of the people are actually conservative in nature. Corporations from all over the world are stepping on each other to get a piece of the action in the province.

This state of reality should forever destroy the pernicious right wing ideas that social progress and the free market are at odds with each other. The true fact of the matter is that these different acpects of a true democracy complement each other very well.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,077 times
Anyone else out there still like Eastern Canada better than Western Canada?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada