U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,291,769 times

Advertisements

I have read that the US teen pregnancy rate is like triple that of Canada's in a proportionate context, and the UK is also higher than Canada's rate...this is interesting, and I know there is a racial/ class correlation with teenage pregnancy (Canada is a more full middle-class type country than the US with its more extremes) but I know that even in many affluent white communities in the US sunbelt, the teen pregnancy rate is still significantly higher than counterparts in Canada

What are some other reasons in your opinion?

Also does anyone know how Canada's rate compares to Australia's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 PM

43,564 posts, read 52,699,775 times
I could tell you, but no one wants to hear the un-PC truth.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I could tell you, but no one wants to hear the un-PC truth.
i acknowledge the racial correlation, but even White to White, I think the teen pregnancy rates in the US are still significantly higher than Canada- i guess that is skewed by "Sunbelt" statistics though, as i agree within the US, the regions that are often most similar culturally to Canada (the Upper MW, Pacific NW, New England) also have the lowest teen pregnancy rates too

Last edited by f1000; 02-06-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times
Perhaps this has something to do with it? Socially, Canada is more liberal on average, like the blue states in America.

Family Values In Red States Vs. Blue States : NPR

It's a super complicated question. We've got different social norms, but how that came to be, it's tough to say. I think alot of it might come from the fact that we're a more urban country, and birth rates generally are lower in urban centres because of the lifestyle necessary to survive in an urban centre. We're the most educated nation on the planet with 50% of the population holding a post secondary degree, so perhaps because more kids have to work so hard in school and have plans for higher education, girls consider it more unacceptable to become mothers at that stage of life as it would keep them from attaining education that they've been socialized to prioritize over children. So because of that they may be more careful about avoiding pregnancy. This theory would seem to match the evidence because Canada`s highest birthrates are in small industrial towns in peninsular Ontario and in remote, rural areas of Alberta and Quebec (I won't mention reserve birthrates as that's a whole other can of worms). Australia's is similar to Canada's (a tiny bit higher). The actual teen pregnancy rate in Canada is about 1/2 that of the US, while the birth rate is 1/3 because of differing abortion rates.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:37 PM

377 posts, read 1,516,274 times
Many more Canadians are comfortable with the idea of abortion - and would likely see it as a viable option - whereas in America, which is generally more conservative and religious, most people would favour adoption or raising the child.

The recorded rate here is probably much lower than reality as I would imagine many expectant mothers would probably go the clinic - be done with it and never report it.

Also I would imagine the cost of an abortion in the US may seem onerous for an expecting teenage mother. In Canada this covered under our health coverage.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:17 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,515,215 times
Let's not forget that sexual ignorance and unplanned pregnancy are important components of the pursuit of cheaper labor, of which the small cliques which dominate small rural communities are well-aware. Deacon Jones wants Billy-Bob to impregnate Bobbie-Bob so he'll have more business and cheap labor for his corner grocery.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Let's not forget that sexual ignorance and unplanned pregnancy are important components of the pursuit of cheaper labor, of which the small cliques which dominate small rural communities are well-aware. Deacon Jones wants Billy-Bob to impregnate Bobbie-Bob so he'll have more business and cheap labor for his corner grocery.
I think you're attributing conscious motivations to issues where they aren't present. I see what you're saying, but that's not the rhetoric people use int heir own minds when justifying a position to themselves. People construct more palatable rhetorical constructs then that, even if in the end it's social function is to preserve the established power structure and order. But human nature is people don't think in such raw terms, no person or collective body is so honest with itself about it's motivations.

Now as to whether that's IS in fact the real motivation, I have my doubts that it's so simple, but there could be something to it. We'd probably need a scholar to write whole books on these subjects. How they're intertwined with immigration politics, for example, would be interesting to note.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 02-06-2012 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post

It's a super complicated question. We've got different social norms, but how that came to be, it's tough to say. I think alot of it might come from the fact that we're a more urban country, and birth rates generally are lower in urban centres because of the lifestyle necessary to survive in an urban centre. We're the most educated nation on the planet with 50% of the population holding a post secondary degree, so perhaps because more kids have to work so hard in school and have plans for higher education, girls consider it more unacceptable to become mothers at that stage of life as it would keep them from attaining education that they've been socialized to prioritize over children. So because of that they may be more careful about avoiding pregnancy. This theory would seem to match the evidence because Canada`s highest birthrates are in small industrial towns in peninsular Ontario and in remote, rural areas of Alberta and Quebec (I won't mention reserve birthrates as that's a whole other can of worms). Australia's is similar to Canada's (a tiny bit higher). The actual teen pregnancy rate in Canada is about 1/2 that of the US, while the birth rate is 1/3 because of differing abortion rates.
interesting angles..thanks for that

Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM

236 posts, read 750,374 times
Just out of curiosity, where are the highest teen pregnancy rates in the US?

Are there large regional differences? Where are the teen birth rates skewing highest in the US? The US is such a large country compared to Canada, I think it's got to be more of a regional phenomenon in the US.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Just out of curiosity, where are the highest teen pregnancy rates in the US?

Are there large regional differences? Where are the teen birth rates skewing highest in the US? The US is such a large country compared to Canada, I think it's got to be more of a regional phenomenon in the US.
there are clear regional patterns- the Sunbelt states i guess really skew the numbers- the lowest rates are in New England & Upper MW- which i think are more around (a little more still) than Canada's rate but whatever it is, the US is on one extreme for this

Teen birth rates highest in southern states | Reuters

the article highlights the race card, but of course there's more than just that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or