U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM

7,257 posts, read 6,594,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't relish thinking about it either, and I see why it upsets you, but I can also see why entertaining the real world consequences might be of interest to someone. I think I'll leave this one alone for awhile.
Agreed, probably a good idea for me to leave this one alone for awhile too. But perhaps not such a bad idea at some point to discuss exactly what the real world consequences of such an annexation would mean to Canada. It wouldn't be good and perhaps those consequences are something that Canadians do need to think about.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM

353 posts, read 804,484 times
Well, I mean the United States was going invade and conquer Canada as late as 1940 as detailed by the US War Plan Red. Only WWII got in the way of that and put those plans on hold.

If, God forbid, the US does take over Canada, I think it's only prudent that Canada be able to preserve itself as a nation, rather than become a simple state of America.

I don't think a voluntary union with the US would benefit Canada either, but if political pressure came to bear making a voluntary union involuntary, I think autonomy is a better option for Canadians than simple statehood.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:34 PM

12,335 posts, read 10,320,946 times
I just have to say how preposterous a thread. The US is failing as a republic and you think Canada would want to join?

Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,163,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I just have to say how preposterous a thread. The US is failing as a republic and you think Canada would want to join?
Very true - to the OP's credit, he did say "If Canada lost its senses and decided to join the United States,"....

Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 PM

18,287 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Monty Python could have made a a whole flying circus around this one!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,575,204 times
I'll tell you truely, I can't think of a worse nightmare than being part of the USA. Our government, customs, laws, history and just so many other things are in direct contradiction of EVERYTHING American.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:14 PM

6,704 posts, read 8,045,569 times
Don't worry--Canada doesn't have to join the U.S. in any way. Canada seems to be becoming more like the U.S. every year. Just look at your politics. Conservatives have pretty much destroyed much of what was good in the U.S.--infringing on individual liberties, starting wars without the backbone to pay for them, and working hand-in-hand with the corporate greed ethic to destroy our environment. Heck, I used to admire Canada for its seemingly greater interest in protecting its environment and looking out for its citizens...but it seems both countries are in race to the bottom lately. Granted, I don't think it's as bad in Canada as it is in the U.S., but you have to watch out--it could happen quicker than you think! Just a thought from someone south of the border (actually, I'm north and west of Windsor, Ontario).

Last edited by jackmichigan; 02-08-2012 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: corrected typo

Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,011,574 times
I have no idea what the intentions of the OP were when starting this topic, but I never took in an underhanded way like many of the respondents.

This will never happen in our lifetime and I really do not think it would be to the benefit of either Nation. I do find it interesting though how many people responding still view the US as declining in comparison to Canada. Have any of you followed the economic trends over the last 2 quarters of 2011?

In Canada the unemployment rate has increased from 7.1% to 7.6% over the last quarter, with lethargic job growth. The Canadian GDP growth in November of receded by 0.1% and grew by only 0.9% in December. Personal wealth declined by 0.4% in the 4th quarter 2011.

Conversely the US unemployment rate has dropped from 9.4% to 8.3% in the past 2 quarters of 2011. Unemployment applications in January hit a 4 year low. GDP Growth was 1.8% in the 3rd quarter and 2.8% in the 4th quarter. Personal wealth also grew by 0.5% in the 4th quarter of 2011.

(Canada Unemployment Rate)
(United States Unemployment Rate)

If you even remotely care about economic trends, then the doom and gloom projections should be aimed at Canada, not the US.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 AM

21,949 posts, read 27,371,773 times
I've been waiting for a while to react to this one and my reaction has not changed: I don't really see the advantage for either country. They have a pretty good (sometimes symbiotic) relationship with each other which tends to be mutually beneficial, yet each country is also free to do its own thing.

I also have never seen the logic of poorer country X joining richer country Y just because Y happens to be richer at the moment.

Then, if someday X becomes richer than Y, what do you do?

Bottom line: countries aren't formed and shouldn't be formed for financial reasons.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 AM

3,097 posts, read 4,156,286 times
the only good thing would be Canadians could now move south for warmer weather without visa's, thats about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or