Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times

Advertisements

It's hard to fathom what path of miscommunication forced heritage airplanes, including an Avro Arrow replica, a DHC-2 Beaver and the world's oldest DHC-1 Chipmunk, outside of the Canadian Air and Space Museum on Sept. 20, 2011.

According to the board of directors who run the museum, they were told by personnel they had to get the artifacts out of the Downsview Park facility, north of Toronto, by the end of the day or risk losing everything inside.
Source: Saving History, The Canadian Air and Space Museum Teeters - SpaceRef Canada

The CF-105 Avro Arrow - A Tribute - YouTube
Man always wanted to see the full size CF-105 Avro Aero Replica and it was huge part Canadian history and a great sense of national pride and it is still sad the destryed them...

I hope they find a new spot for the museum to move to our even more of our Aviation History will be lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
That was a darn nice museum,a shame a greedy landlord doubles the rent and not enough people visit the place to keep it going.Personally i thought the government owned and financed the whole operation .
This is the way its going these days as people get more and more tired of paying taxes to support such historical and cultural programs.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,223 times
Hamilton has a war plane heritage museum, they should
display them there, atleast the Avro Arrow.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Definitely the Arrow. Would be tragic to lose that piece of Canadian history!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
This is typical of a country that relies upon immigration to sustain it's expansion rate, as most, if not all, of the immigrees arrive today not caring one wit for our past history or culture! Most are merely changing countries as you or I would change our choice of neighbourhood.

They are primarily concerned with their priorities of escaping repressive or lacklustre lifestyles elsewhere, providing a better lifestyle for their family and retaining their culture first and foremost with the culture and history of their adoptive country taking a poor fourth place in that list.

Expecting these people to contribute to the memorializing of anything historicly Canadian is like asking them to donate to a charity for millionaires.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This is typical of a country that relies upon immigration to sustain it's expansion rate, as most, if not all, of the immigrees arrive today not caring one wit for our past history or culture! Most are merely changing countries as you or I would change our choice of neighbourhood.

They are primarily concerned with their priorities of escaping repressive or lacklustre lifestyles elsewhere, providing a better lifestyle for their family and retaining their culture first and foremost with the culture and history of their adoptive country taking a poor fourth place in that list.

Expecting these people to contribute to the memorializing of anything historicly Canadian is like asking them to donate to a charity for millionaires.
I wish I could give you rep for that post! Great post!

Sounds like your describing much of our (US) current batch of immigrants as well. All about themselves, not one iota for the US as a nation, it's history, culture, traditions, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
I think there's still plenty of Canadians around to cherish their own history, and I disagree that most immigrants don't care about Canadian history. The last time I went to a Canada Day celebration in Toronto, I saw lots of people from different ethnic backgrounds.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
You are of course free to disagree but, where is Downsview Airbase located?
Why is it, you suppose, that area does not get even an honourable mention in any Ontario tourism literature?
Why is it, you suppose, the museum being located right in the heart of a thriving metropolis of dense population could not support itself through the local population visiting it?

Could any of those answers possibly be related to cultures other than the traditional Canadians interested in our history being clustered in and around that area not giving a rat's patoot for anything culturally or historicly Canadian . . . .???

My surmisal is: there are not enough "traditional" Canadians, who cherish their own history, in that area to support the museum and further; not enough of any culture outside of those inhabiting the area that would even venture there by choice to visit or support the museum.

Sorry but that's the way I see it. Moving it anywhere would be of benefit.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Are we talking about this place?=
Canada Aviation and Space Museum – Musée de l’aviation et de l’espace du Canada

or some smaller more obscure air museum or a storage warehouse for some of the unused exhibits....
I dont think the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum is in Downsview, i've been to the museum several times and there was no mention of the location being in Downsview.

Just noticed i'm talking about the museum in Ottawa and not the Museum in Toronto..

Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 AM

63 posts, read 120,871 times
I think it is useless to drag immigrants into this matter - the bottom line of this topics is, that this is a very unfortunate news for every tech savy Torontonian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada