U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,263 times

Advertisements

Dear All,
I am Indonesian married to Canadian (Quebec Provence)and we have a Canadian child. We are now living in Indonesia. As my son is entering his school this year, i am wondering to get the child benefit. But the fact is my husband is working as a musician in a cruise ship and never pay any single tax in his life. Do we eligible get our child tax benefit. If we are, how?! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 PM

179 posts, read 662,761 times
I hate for my first post to be a rant..... But why in the world would you think you can benefit from a tax return when you haven't paid taxes at all? As an immigrant myself, I find it VERY VERY rude and offensive that you would try to milk off the government.

If you want to be eligible for tax returns or benefits, then move back, pay taxes and then maybe you can have your benefits.

Cheers!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:45 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,163,348 times
It is a Child TAX Benefit. You don't pay Canadian taxes, you are not resident in Canada and therefore you are not eligible. More information here:

Canada Child Tax Benefit

Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,418,435 times
OP is not residing in Canada. Case closed.

fwiw, information is available online:
Quote:
Even if you have no income to report or tax to pay, you may be eligible for certain payments or credits. In order to receive the following payments or credits, you must file an income tax return.
  • the GST/HST credit (goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax);
  • Canada Child Tax Benefit payments; and
  • provincial or territorial tax credits.
For more information, please see "Do you have to file a return?" in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,575,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
I hate for my first post to be a rant..... But why in the world would you think you can benefit from a tax return when you haven't paid taxes at all? As an immigrant myself, I find it VERY VERY rude and offensive that you would try to milk off the government.

If you want to be eligible for tax returns or benefits, then move back, pay taxes and then maybe you can have your benefits.

Cheers!
Ah ha Mexi, you will find that in Canada the people who pay no taxes are the ones that get the most cheques from the government. GST and HST rebates. Child tax benefits. If you are a low wage earner and pay no tax at all but have lets say 4 kids you will get over $1000 a month as a child tax credit.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,936,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Ah ha Mexi, you will find that in Canada the people who pay no taxes are the ones that get the most cheques from the government. GST and HST rebates. Child tax benefits. If you are a low wage earner and pay no tax at all but have lets say 4 kids you will get over $1000 a month as a child tax credit.
As a Canadian who pays quite a lot of taxes, I sure hope that as a society we don't tell those 4 kids to rot in hell.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
As a Canadian who pays quite a lot of taxes, I sure hope that as a society we don't tell those 4 kids to rot in hell.
I agree with you completely. I'm a big supporter of the child tax credit. It makes the difference in some families betwee paying the rent or not!!
It's a much better system than the old, "Baby bonus" that was a universal benefit that you got per child even if you made a million per year.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:05 AM

179 posts, read 662,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm all for helping those in need to get back on their feet, but I consider it an insult when you don't live in Canada, you don't pay ANY taxes whatsoever, and you still expect to receive free money that is actually paid by the taxpayers.

I met a guy that was on welfare and he still had an income that paid him cash, so he just kept leeching from the government for 16 years, SIXTEEN YEARS, now that's just messed up in my opinion.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 AM

6 posts, read 13,837 times
Quote:

Cheers!
+1

It might be the cynic in me but I find it to be very shameless and disgraceful.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I'm all for helping those in need to get back on their feet, but I consider it an insult when you don't live in Canada, you don't pay ANY taxes whatsoever, and you still expect to receive free money that is actually paid by the taxpayers.

I met a guy that was on welfare and he still had an income that paid him cash, so he just kept leeching from the government for 16 years, SIXTEEN YEARS, now that's just messed up in my opinion.
It's also kinda messed up that no one ever reported him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or