U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM

321 posts, read 694,949 times

Advertisements

I cannot speak for all jobs that require security officers, because I know there are some guards who are miserable and unapproachable.

My husband, however, is not one of these. It really surprises me how much training these men and women go through to be completely qualified as a guard - how many different facets there are in their training.

I know for certain that Security Guards deal with difficult situations and difficult people and take the brunt of the abuse from their employers and those people whom they are trying to protect and I am sick of it.

My hubby does security for a local College. The Security Firm he works for is a not for profit group run by ex-police and others. These idiots do not have enough employees and refuse to hire more so Security Guards have to come in even if they are sick because there are no extra people to cover their shifts.

This company does not provide benefits, does not give bonuses, does not care about these guards at all. The guards work twelve hour shifts and are constantly verbally abused not only by the teachers at the college but also by the students. Yet they are the ones who are supposed to protect the students when situations arise that put lives in danger.

So why is their no protection for them by agencies that fight for employees rights. It seems to me that this is one occupation that needs to be completely overhauled. Someone needs to start the process of doing more to protecting these men and women. Does anyone have any idea how to get something like this started?

Bansidhbabe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM

903 posts, read 2,239,885 times
Start by reviewing this Employment Standards | Ontario Ministry of Labour
If the employer is in violation of any of the standards then he should file a claim Employment Standards Claims | Ontario Ministry of Labour

Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks. I'll definitely follow up on that.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM

482 posts, read 2,158,380 times
Canadians can be very naive when it comes to security... There is this veneer of wishful thinking that Canadians are such nice people that we don't have to worry and obtrusive security violates that.

It is all cultural. Security guards represent that which violates the national myth that Canada is much safer than the US and we don't even need to lock our doors here.

Therefore security guards, doormen at bars, etc. are not as respected.

In countries with crime issues, like Brazil, security work is much more appreciated.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 PM

Good Point. I just hope some madman with a gun doesn't come into the school, because my husband would put himself in harm's way to protect the students and staff. I have no desire to become a widow and I've told him if there's a bomb threat or an idiotic suicidal student, pull the fire alarm and lead the charge out of the building. They don't pay you enough to be a hero.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 AM

12,887 posts, read 15,418,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansidhbabe View Post

So why is their no protection for them by agencies that fight for employees rights. It seems to me that this is one occupation that needs to be completely overhauled. Someone needs to start the process of doing more to protecting these men and women. Does anyone have any idea how to get something like this started?

Bansidhbabe
The "agencies" that fight for and maintain employees rights are called UNIONS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or