U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,538,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think most would agree that Canadians in general are more reserved, except maybe some gregarious Quebeckers
I don't equate that with being unfriendly, although I can see how it is interpreted that way. Real friendships take longer. I for one, am really uncomfortable with that instant you're my friend approach I get from some store clerks in the U.S. It has nothing to do with me being unfriendly, it is just my boundaries are different. However I'm just as uncomfortable if I feel a clerk is grovelling at my feet.
It really is a personal thing, since two different people in the same town or city can have totally opposite feeling of how friendly the place is.
Vancouver often gets slammed by people saying it's hard to make friends etc. However usually these are people who have left behind a circle of friends that took years to create and expect somehow to have the same thing in a much shorter space of time.
It's funny really. I read trip reports from tourists from the U.S. and the vast majority comment on how nice, polite and friendly Canadians are. I guess the grass is always greener

I agree 'reserved' and 'unfriendly' are not the same things. I consider myself to be 'reserved.' However I have lived (not visited) as an outsider in both France and Germany, in small towns, and at times was acutely lonely and have an eye for outsiders, especially immigrants. I make it a point to be as helpful as possible, keeping my own experiences in mind, as to things that immigrants might not even know how to ask for. We have a high amount of Russian and German immigrants in my corner of the world.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM

266 posts, read 1,100,030 times
Netwit, yes, I do believe you are right. I have never lived in a small town before, so this attitude was a shock... so yes, it probably isn't just the "Canadian" thing. There are so many factors at play, really. I did live in a fairly small town in Pennsylvania, though, and I didn't find they were as standoffish... but again, not necessarily cultural.

I apologize as I didn't mean to equate "reserved" with unfriendly, too. Poor choice of words on my part. I suppose I have moved around and lived in many diverse communities, and within MY OWN experience I did find people to be a little more open in the USA - but I'm sure just as many people could probably say the opposite

Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,538,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
Netwit, yes, I do believe you are right. I have never lived in a small town before, so this attitude was a shock... so yes, it probably isn't just the "Canadian" thing. There are so many factors at play, really. I did live in a fairly small town in Pennsylvania, though, and I didn't find they were as standoffish... but again, not necessarily cultural.

I apologize as I didn't mean to equate "reserved" with unfriendly, too. Poor choice of words on my part. I suppose I have moved around and lived in many diverse communities, and within MY OWN experience I did find people to be a little more open in the USA - but I'm sure just as many people could probably say the opposite
Oh no, I didn't take it that you were necessarily equating 'reserved' with 'unfriendly' at all. It was just a general observation. And I actually understood from your post that you had lived in a very large city in the US.

I don't disagree that Americans are more out-goingly friendly than Canadians - less reserved. I think it partly depends on the area. I was speaking in generalities of small towns versus large cities.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 PM

558 posts, read 547,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I think the difference is the fact that with the exception of Jews and Italians, most of those European groups have Anglicized to the point they might as well be Anglo-Saxon, and in the case of African Americans, it's pretty meaningless what African tribes they descended from since they have little tangible connection to any of them anymore. The Latin American popularity is overwhelmingly Mexican and Puerto Rican and there really still aren't very many Asian Americans outside of California, Washington state, the Northeastern seaboard and a few other pockets here and there.
What?? You're not making any sense because I'm talking about ethnic background. America is a melting pot, you're supposed to integrate your culture with the main culture to form something new, not segregate cultures, which Canada wrongly promotes.

Fact is America has always had more European ethnic diversity than Canada, which has been more limited to only English and French until the mid 1900s. The Twentieth Century | Multicultural Canada
Quote:
By mid-century the population of Canada was about 14 million of whom those the census classified as British or French still constituted virtually 80 percent.
The US also has far more ethnic groups from Latin America than Canada. And genetically African Americans can be traced back to many different tribes and ethnic groups of Africa.

Also, there are 18.2 million Asian Americans in the US about 5% of pop. with sizable populations in NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, & Seattle. While Canada has 3.4 million about 11% of pop.

With all that said, I just don't see how any Canadian can go off saying that Canada is more ethnically or racially diverse than Canada without it sounding like a joke.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,130,031 times
Americans are the most polite people in the world. We greet everyone with an AK-47 and a go ahead, make my day.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think most would agree that Canadians in general are more reserved, except maybe some gregarious Quebeckers
Newfoundlanders can be pretty outgoing too!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM

27 posts, read 51,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
What?? You're not making any sense because I'm talking about ethnic background. America is a melting pot, you're supposed to integrate your culture with the main culture to form something new, not segregate cultures, which Canada wrongly promotes.

Sure Canada does not promote integration like your melting pot model, but our mosaic model does not equate to segregation either... segregation is forcible, we don't force cultures to integrate, nor do we force them to segregate, ppl are free to be themselves. ironically segregation is much more evident there than it is here (e.g. southside chi) and integration is strong here (mexicans here are perfectly fluent in english, can't say the same for mexicans there :P )

Fact is America has always had more European ethnic diversity than Canada, which has been more limited to only English and French until the mid 1900s. The Twentieth Century | Multicultural Canada

what u mean by "limited to only English and French until the mid 1900s"? based on ur source, "After the “colour-blind” immigration act of 1967, immigration from Europe declined to 36 percent by 1981 and to 20 percent by 1991"

The US also has far more ethnic groups from Latin America than Canada. And genetically African Americans can be traced back to many different tribes and ethnic groups of Africa.

take out mexicans there goes more than 60% of ur latinos lol. why latinos pick usa over canada. 1. ease of mexicans into ur country over ours (Right beside urs). one comedian joked how he was headed to canada but crossing over to US was already hard enough. anyway, with so much mexicans there and the fact that much of the US southwest was hispanic territory, the Spanish language has already been a stronghold there... this is a STRONG attraction for spanish speakers 2. climate 3. hollywood promoting USA to the world

See we lack those 3 factors yet we still have the 2nd most mexican immigrants (behind yall), and if u look at colombian diaspora, chilean diaspora, salvadorean diaspora, etc...Canada has the second most in the non-spanish speaking world.

Let's point out that 99% of ur blacks are african americans. slavery was tiny in comparison here. say america didnt wrongly promote slavery and that blacks solely came from recent immigration, then we'd probably have the same black population in numbers (meaning more per capita here). also genetically African Americans can be traced to many different groups in WEST Africa. that's why in terms of facial features african americans share many noticable similarities (well noticable to me anyway, as i've grown up around all kinds of africans(not only from West Africa) with distinct features). even then, would u consider african americans diverse culturally? here u ask Hassan where he from, Eritrea, how bout Andrew? Ghana. and Jaquelina? Angola. Meanwhile u ask Tyrone, Latisha and Shanique, the response is African American. What tribe? somewhere in Africa.

Also, there are 18.2 million Asian Americans in the US about 5% of pop. with sizable populations in NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, & Seattle. While Canada has 3.4 million about 11% of pop.

seeing this let me point out that Canada having higher Asian pop. proportionately makes us diverse. proportional diversity is significant and most diversity surveys/forums consider proportional diveristy heavily. The filipino pop. in NY CSA is almost 220,000, while the toronto CMA is 50,000 less (btw geographically the TO CMA is 5x smaller than the NY CSA). relatives that visit here from ny think TO has Waaaaaaaay more filipinos than NY, when in fact, they have more. this goes to show that per-capita diversity is significant. per-capita diversity is more noticable to citizens and tourists alike. what if someone who wants to meet hispanics goes to some city hearing tens of thousands of them live there? goes there disappointed cuz he barely notices them in the city of 10 mil...proportional diversity!

speaking of proportional diversity: we beat u in many ways...
.............Can....USA (%)
Indian: 3.08 vs 1
Lebanese: 0.08 vs 0.001
russian: 1.7 vs 1
Nigerian:0.07 vs 0.01
chilean: 0.1 vs 0.03
Chinese: 4.3 vs 1.2
Jamaican: 0.7 vs 0.3
Egyptian: 0.2 vs 0.06
portuguese: 1.3 vs 0.5

lol yeah these numbers are small but still...keep in mind this is for the countries as a whole. in big cities these numbers are obviously higher and the diversity is much more noticable.

and in numbers we also have more somalis, sri-lankans, and other ethnicities as well.

we are more ethnically diverse (per-capita), for east Asians, south asians, africans, arabs, some european countries, west-indians (excluding the spanish west-indies), and some latin american countries (hard to believe but we talking per-capita here, and if it's still hard to believe, the 'some' countries excluded include mexico, which make up a huuuuge chunk of ur latinos)

With all that said, I just don't see how any Canadian can go off saying that Canada is more ethnically or racially diverse than Canada without it sounding like a joke.

With all that said, I can see how anyone can go off saying that Canada is more ethnically, but definitely not racially, diverse.

IMO ny is the most diverse city in the world, and USA is the most diverse country in the world, but that's if they asking diverse without being specific. if they specify per-capita, then i'd probably pick my country. BUt for Cold Canada that's known worldwide for hockey/donuts/ and nothing really special compared to the US espcially since we don't have anyhing like Hollywood to back us up, we do pretty well attracting ppl worldwide. check expatforum you'd also notice more views on canada than there is... anywhere

check bolded points

Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 AM

558 posts, read 547,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemvp6 View Post
check bolded points
Sure Canada does not promote integration like your melting pot model, but our mosaic model does not equate to segregation either... segregation is forcible, we don't force cultures to integrate, nor do we force them to segregate, ppl are free to be themselves. ironically segregation is much more evident there than it is here (e.g. southside chi) and integration is strong here (mexicans here are perfectly fluent in english, can't say the same for mexicans there :P )
Canada encourages a mosaic, which means preserving and sustaining multiple cultures. Therefore, culture mixing is a negative because then the mosaic won't exist. This in the end promotes segregation and disunity.

What precent of Canada is Mexican or latino for that matter?
What are you talking about? There are millions of fluent english speaking mexicans.

Quote:
what u mean by "limited to only English and French until the mid 1900s"? based on ur source, "After the “colour-blind” immigration act of 1967, immigration from Europe declined to 36 percent by 1981 and to 20 percent by 1991"
Not talking about immigrants but total population, as Canada still had more Europeans from UK and France, meaning less European diversity than the US, which has always had more european ethnic groups.

Quote:
take out mexicans there goes more than 60% of ur latinos lol. why latinos pick usa over canada. 1. ease of mexicans into ur country over ours (Right beside urs). one comedian joked how he was headed to canada but crossing over to US was already hard enough. anyway, with so much mexicans there and the fact that much of the US southwest was hispanic territory, the Spanish language has already been a stronghold there... this is a STRONG attraction for spanish speakers 2. climate 3. hollywood promoting USA to the world

See we lack those 3 factors yet we still have the 2nd most mexican immigrants (behind yall), and if u look at colombian diaspora, chilean diaspora, salvadorean diaspora, etc...Canada has the second most in the non-spanish speaking world.
Throughout history immigrants have picked the US over Canada for various reasons. And, it doesn't really matter what reason Latin Americans have come to the US for, the fact is there are more here than Canada, meaning more ethnic diversity than Canada.

Quote:
Let's point out that 99% of ur blacks are african americans. slavery was tiny in comparison here. say america didnt wrongly promote slavery and that blacks solely came from recent immigration, then we'd probably have the same black population in numbers (meaning more per capita here). also genetically African Americans can be traced to many different groups in WEST Africa. that's why in terms of facial features african americans share many noticable similarities (well noticable to me anyway, as i've grown up around all kinds of africans(not only from West Africa) with distinct features). even then, would u consider african americans diverse culturally? here u ask Hassan where he from, Eritrea, how bout Andrew? Ghana. and Jaquelina? Angola. Meanwhile u ask Tyrone, Latisha and Shanique, the response is African American. What tribe? somewhere in Africa.
Again, you're giving reasons why Canada lacks this demographic to a larger degree, which is irrelevant. We're talking about the ethnic groups that are present. Genetically America's African diversity is greater than Canada's African diversity.

Like I said, we're talking about ethnic diversity not culture. Blending and sharing cultures are promoted in America not preserving and segregating cultures. Plus, Canada has a total black population of about 2.5%, while the US African and West indian population (outside of African Americans) is about 1.8%. So you can rest assured that the US has far more black ethnic diversity than Canada.

Quote:
seeing this let me point out that Canada having higher Asian pop. proportionately makes us diverse. proportional diversity is significant and most diversity surveys/forums consider proportional diveristy heavily. The filipino pop. in NY CSA is almost 220,000, while the toronto CMA is 50,000 less (btw geographically the TO CMA is 5x smaller than the NY CSA). relatives that visit here from ny think TO has Waaaaaaaay more filipinos than NY, when in fact, they have more. this goes to show that per-capita diversity is significant. per-capita diversity is more noticable to citizens and tourists alike. what if someone who wants to meet hispanics goes to some city hearing tens of thousands of them live there? goes there disappointed cuz he barely notices them in the city of 10 mil...proportional diversity!

speaking of proportional diversity: we beat u in many ways...
.............Can....USA (%)
Indian: 3.08 vs 1
Lebanese: 0.08 vs 0.001 US is actually 0.16%
russian: 1.7 vs 1
Nigerian:0.07 vs 0.01 US is actually 0.08%
chilean: 0.1 vs 0.03
Chinese: 4.3 vs 1.2
Jamaican: 0.7 vs 0.3
Egyptian: 0.2 vs 0.06 US is actually 0.2 to 0.6%
portuguese: 1.3 vs 0.5

lol yeah these numbers are small but still...keep in mind this is for the countries as a whole. in big cities these numbers are obviously higher and the diversity is much more noticable.

and in numbers we also have more somalis, sri-lankans, and other ethnicities as well.

we are more ethnically diverse (per-capita), for east Asians, south asians, africans, arabs, some european countries, west-indians (excluding the spanish west-indies), and some latin american countries (hard to believe but we talking per-capita here, and if it's still hard to believe, the 'some' countries excluded include mexico, which make up a huuuuge chunk of ur latinos)

With all that said, I can see how anyone can go off saying that Canada is more ethnically, but definitely not racially, diverse.

IMO ny is the most diverse city in the world, and USA is the most diverse country in the world, but that's if they asking diverse without being specific. if they specify per-capita, then i'd probably pick my country. BUt for Cold Canada that's known worldwide for hockey/donuts/ and nothing really special compared to the US espcially since we don't have anyhing like Hollywood to back us up, we do pretty well attracting ppl worldwide. check expatforum you'd also notice more views on canada than there is... anywhere
Some of your above numbers are incorrect:
US Lebanese is actually 0.16% larger than Canada
US Nigerian is actually 0.08% larger than Canada
US Egyptian is actually 0.2-0.6% equal to larger than Canada

I showed the US asian population numbers to get across that the US has a large ethnically diverse asian representation that sometimes gets lost due to our large overall population.

We're talking about ethnic diversity not proportional diversity. That said, Canada is lacking on that front in more ways than the US.

Overall, the US has more ethnic and racial diversity

Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 AM

6 posts, read 14,963 times
Oh! this is not true.
Canadian are friendly in nature. If you talked to someone which is a Canadian maybe he/she has a problem that's why he is not that approachable.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM

25,330 posts, read 41,438,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
Are Canadians less friendly than Americans
It really depends on the individual... Doesn't it? With 120+ answers I don't know what we concluded...

This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or