U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 PM

230 posts, read 434,624 times

Advertisements

This topic has been discussed on so many other threads it's getting a bit repetitive, but nonetheless I'd like to give my two cents:

After doing quite a bit of traveling and living in both countries, I think ultimately which people you find "nicer" is more reflective of your own definition of what "nice" is. If you feel that nice entails being respectful and polite, yet place a high value on personal space/privacy and others', then you may find Canada more "friendly." If you prefer people that are easily approachable, willing to joke around and open up and expect you to do the same right off the bat, then you may find the US more friendly.

It's all in your preferences.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,798,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
This topic has been discussed on so many other threads it's getting a bit repetitive, but nonetheless I'd like to give my two cents:

After doing quite a bit of traveling and living in both countries, I think ultimately which people you find "nicer" is more reflective of your own definition of what "nice" is. If you feel that nice entails being respectful and polite, yet place a high value on personal space/privacy and others', then you may find Canada more "friendly." If you prefer people that are easily approachable, willing to joke around and open up and expect you to do the same right off the bat, then you may find the US more friendly.

It's all in your preferences.
And I'm guessing that one could find regional differences in Canada as you do in the U.S.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,457,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Yeah but wouldn't it be nice to have some that aren't plaid flannel?
Not really. I have one for every day of the week, and for church, I wear my denim jacket.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,538,796 times
Shoot me down in flames, but I've known a few Canadians in my time and they seemed generally less arrogant and aggressive than Americans can sometimes come off, though of course not all are.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 PM

63 posts, read 119,939 times
I thought people were nicer in Calgary than here in Houston, I guess.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM

230 posts, read 434,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERJ-145 View Post
I thought people were nicer in Calgary than here in Houston, I guess.
I've done my share of comparing the Canadian metro area I reside in to the metro area in the US I lived in before, but the problem with that is that there's an entirely different social dynamic that exists in both that makes it nearly impossible to really compare.

I think any American settling in virtually any medium to large Canadian city would find Canadians outwardly cold, disconnected to one another, and ambivalent -- at least by American standards. Despite all the bitching that goes on about Toronto and Vancouver on this forum, the truth is it's really kind of the norm for most cities here. Calgary is no exception, or so I've been told by those that have lived there.

Despite this, you will witness fewer truly obnoxious people than in the US (and certainly Houston), and people will generally be pleasant, respectful, and polite toward you. There's a kind of civility here that isn't really as strongly engrained in American - or Texan - culture, so in a way it's a bit of trade off: gregarious if not in-your-face friendliness for polite, respectful reservedness.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 PM

7,219 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
..... there's an entirely different social dynamic that exists in both that makes it nearly impossible to really compare.......... Despite this, you will witness fewer truly obnoxious people than in the US (and certainly Houston), and people will generally be pleasant, respectful, and polite toward you. There's a kind of civility here that isn't really as strongly engrained in American - or Texan - culture, so in a way it's a bit of trade off: gregarious if not in-your-face friendliness for polite, respectful reservedness.
I think that pretty much says it all in a nutshell.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM

261 posts, read 304,998 times
As someone who has lived 20 minutes from the Canadian border all my life I have a little perspective on this. Canadians shop in our stores every day, its cheaper for them to buy here than in Canada. They also go to the local college to get a teaching degree. When I got my first masters degree I was in a program comprised of mostly Canadian students. I've mostly found them to be bold and demanding. Especially when driving! Last summer I was in line behind two Canadians, one was an elderly lady and one was in her forties. Well the elderly lady cut off the other lady (people just DO NOT do that here, ever. I have NEVER been cut in front of in a line.). Well the lady said something a little snarky to her and the older woman turned to her shopping partner and said something in French. This is how I found out they were both Canadian. The other woman snapped something back then said, rather loudly, yeah I speak French too. (we are not a multicultural area, if they speak french then they are Canadian. plus there is an accent that makes it pretty obvious). Then they started arguing back and forth LOUDLY in both languages to the point I put my arm around my daughter and slowly started to back up. All I could think is "I am going to see my first ever throw down in FASHION BUG by two CANADIANS! It was pretty hysterical.

They are also a lot of fun to sit next to at Bingo. We go to the res twice a year and I always look for the middle aged Canadian women to sit next to. They are professionals. They are so friendly, yet bold. I am a bold person myself, so I love it. They'll reach over and dab my spots if I miss them. They explain the patterns to us and are generally very friendly.

I always am confused by the portrayal of Canadians as cold, boring, and stuffy. Yes, some in my class were like that, but most were warm, bold, and colorful. They DO NOT get pushed around, they are well aware of their self-worth and value. The main difference I see, that I envy, is inherent class. I've rarely met a Canadian, even two ladies throwing down in Fashion Bug, who do not come across as classy. I can't figure out what the difference is, its just a manner of carrying themselves that we Americans don't seem to have as a whole.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:10 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,139,215 times
Well, considering you chose not to tell us WHERE you live, we have to take a wild guess. But since you brought French into the picture, let me guess... you live in Plattsburgh? In which case, you know, people from Quebec, both anglophones and francophones, have quite a different attitude and culture than people elsewhere in Canada.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,604,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Depends where.... :P

Canadians are quite friendly and polite. One difference with Americans is that Canadians are a bit more reserved on certain things, whereas Americans tend to be more outspoken and louder.
If I had to live in Canada, it would be Montreal, hands down. I've been in 4 provinces (BC, AB, ON, QC).

I think Anglo-Canadians are a little more polite than they are friendly. I've found French-Canadians friendlier. Maybe it's that "joie de vivre."

I also think that the further south you go in the US (the southern tier, from FL to CA) people are louder, less inhibited and more apt to speak their minds. I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or