U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM

261 posts, read 305,020 times

Advertisements

If I told you where I live you might think less of me

Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM

21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think Anglo-Canadians are a little more polite than they are friendly. I've found French-Canadians friendlier. Maybe it's that "joie de vivre."

True, but we are not as faultlessly polite as English Canadians are.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 PM

443 posts, read 773,351 times
I have found Canadians to be at least as friendly, if not more friendly than Americans (and I find Americans to be very friendly).

Old 02-23-2012, 11:03 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
I don't think I've ever met a purposefully unfriendly American except on internet boards, although I've run across cultural differences that have surprised me. I think that ajl22586 had a good post. I also think there is a lot of truth in finding what you look for.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,278,026 times
There are 313 million Americans living in fifty states that came into being under far more cultural variation than experienced in the whole of Western Europe. Though tempting to do so, it is too difficult to generalize over that huge population or 34 million Canadians spread over such a diverse landscape.

If 95% of Americans were of one dominant personality, that would leave nearly 16 million that would buck the trend. That is nearly half the population of Canada!

Perhaps more instructive to match equivalent environments, economy and social dynamics. I find Nelson, BC very similar to Sandpoint Idaho and 1970s Santa Cruz, California and my interactions with people in each place make me feel as if we are of one people. This is a feeling many share in SE BC, SW AB, Western Montana, Idaho, Eastern WA & OR, i.e. Cascadia.

Sprawling burbs, dense provincial cities, truly international cities...each have their own vibe with Canadians and Americans from similar environments more likely to be indistinguishable than say an American goat farmer in Northern Idaho and a Wall Street Financier living in Greenwich, CT.

I see more Canadian plates than from any other state in the union other than Idaho save for plates from neighboring Washington. But I have yet to pick them out by personality. they fit right in...

Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,305,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I also think there is a lot of truth in finding what you look for.
This.

I've been to Ireland, the UK, Canada, Greece and Turkey. I liked most of the people I met, which is exactly what I expected. They were sometimes different in outlook, but that can be a refreshing and fun thing. I think if you expect to like most people when you go to their place, your odds are pretty good.

When I go to Canada, I think on balance they will be slightly different in mannerisms and speech than what I'm used to, but that if one respects differing customs, boundaries and such, without bringing a lot of judgments, most will be friendly and helpful (or appreciate that you are helpful...there are usually opportunities to do something considerate). And darned if that doesn't nearly always turn out to be the case, discounting the occasional churl, bigot or simply someone having a bad day.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM

261 posts, read 305,020 times
LOL, just read this after watching a How I Met Your Mother episode and thought of this thread. It was a response to Robin saying Canadians are afraid of the dark. It made me giggle, hope it does the same for some of you.

Yes. Throughout the ENTIRE country and surrounding areas of Canada, you will hear the howls and screamsof terror of trillions of Canadians once the sun sets. It is a scary thing to witness

Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 PM

312 posts, read 945,679 times
It's all stereotype. I doubt it makes any difference either way.....

Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,542 times
I was raised and resided for many years in Toronto, Canada. Now I live in Colombia, South America with frequent travel to the USA. I don´t like to generalise because you find friendly people everywhere and even if people are not ¨friendly¨it does not mean that they are not ¨good¨people. But in order to give you a sense of my impression, here we go:

1. I firmly believe that the reputation of Canadians being particularly friendly and polite to be highly exaggerated. Americans are as polite as Canadians and, in my personal view, more friendly and certainly more open.

2. I find that Canadians are reserved and conservative but there is often a real lack of protocol and refine behaviour in that culture, making them uptight and awkward in some social settings. On this issue, South Americans (based on my experience in Colombia) are exponentially more advanced and developed.

3. Canada is a multicultural society, liked by others around the world, tolerant, safe and with relatively good public services -- something that is sadly not common in the world today. This reality has caused Canadians to develop an inflated sense of themselves, thus contributing to the general myth of the superior, polite and friendly Canadian. Canada is full of great human beings but to think that they are more polite or more friendly than Americans is a myth and nothing more.

Last edited by pfanian; 01-07-2013 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,115,038 times
In terms of visiting each country, I don't think a visitor will normally experience 'unfriendly' behaviour in either country. But in my experience living in both countries (at least Toronto and the US East Coast), I find the following general differences:

Canadian/American: reserved--------------outgoing
Canadian/American: congenial-------------aggressive
Canadian/American: polite-----------------assertive
Canadian/American: geniune---------------confident
Canadian/American: steady/secure---------calculated risk taker
Canadian/American: passive agressive -----direct
Canadian/American: laid back--------------promotional
Canadian/American: minds own business----wants to network

In my experience, I find the US has a more Type A personality (stressed, status conscious, and competitive) compared to Canada which is more Type B (content, relaxed, and tolerant). And of course, it's hard to generalize about such a large country so different regions will have different degrees of these traits as well.

Last edited by johnathanc; 01-07-2013 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or