U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
I'm sure you'd have to ask "depends where?"

Do you think colder weather makes people a little less friendly, on a very general basis.
No, not at all. I think of my experiences with Filipinos, Hawaiians, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Ethiopians, and Kenyans: all very warm climates, and the people I've met who are from these areas have been consistently friendly, warm, and good people.

Quote:
Are Canadians more likely to be like "What are you talking to me for?"
Not in my experience. In every part of Canada I've been, people have generally been polite and friendly. The worst experiences that I've had with Canadians were when I worked in hospitality and had to deal with cheap, penny-pinching folks from BC or around Toronto; moreso than cheap, penny-pinching Americans, they were the most gratingly aloof, goofily-rude and stupidly-awkward nerds you'd ever encounter in your life, who seemed to think that if they just annoyed you, you'd eventually give them what they wanted to leave you alone; however, I've no doubt that everyone else in Canada thinks the same way about them... and hey, none of them made you want to punch a wall as much as the aggressively-mean cheap, penny-pinching Americans I had to deal with, who seemed to think that if they just make it personal, threaten to take your job, and demand your full name, it'll get them what they want.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 AM

955 posts, read 1,544,595 times
I can tell you Canucks are friendlier than most Aussies in general at least

Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM

9,521 posts, read 9,399,709 times
I don't know about French Canadians, but maybe this attitude is common among Canadians:

Minnesota nice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,972,760 times
Having lived in both the U.S. and Canada, I think Americans are more polite and more open to talking to strangers. They are friendlier in that I have found it easier to make friends in the U.S. than Canada. I live near a walking/biking path and I find it odd to encounter someone walking on that path and they avert their eyes and don't extend a greeting. And I have yet to get used to grocery store cashiers who don't even say hello to you while they ring up your groceries.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,318,334 times
Most definitely. One of the biggest "culture shock" moments for me as a first-time visitor to the U.S. was how friendly everyone is south of the border. Even Manhattanites are friendly, despite the image of the "New York Attitude" portrayed in the media. Toronto, on the other hand, is filled with antisocial twits.

EDIT: I have traveled throughout the U.S. and Canada, so my opinion is not based on some silly "Toronto vs. the rest of the world" observation. Newfoundland is probably the only place in Canada I have been where people are as friendly as Americans.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM

254 posts, read 261,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Most definitely. One of the biggest "culture shock" moments for me as a first-time visitor to the U.S. was how friendly everyone is south of the border. Even Manhattanites are friendly, despite the image of the "New York Attitude" portrayed in the media. Toronto, on the other hand, is filled with antisocial twits.

EDIT: I have traveled throughout the U.S. and Canada, so my opinion is not based on some silly "Toronto vs. the rest of the world" observation. Newfoundland is probably the only place in Canada I have been where people are as friendly as Americans.
It's a very superficial friendliness though, the Americans' that is. They can act all happy and smile all the time when they're around you, but in fact then complain to their family about how much they abhor you when you're away.

It's actually quite...creepy if you think about it.

I prefer people who don't put on a façade, and are straightforward about not liking you.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM

9,521 posts, read 9,399,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
It's a very superficial friendliness though, the Americans' that is. They can act all happy and smile all the time when they're around you, but in fact then complain to their family about how much they abhor you when you're away.

It's actually quite...creepy if you think about it.

I prefer people who don't put on a façade, and are straightforward about not liking you.

Are Canadians more likely to express their true feelings than Americans?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM

254 posts, read 261,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are Canadians more likely to express their true feelings than Americans?
Cold indifference is probably more genuine than fake friendliness.
Other than that, I wouldn't know.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,113,742 times
How does being more outwardly polite and more sociable with someone you don't know translate into being fake? To each their own, but I personally prefer this to the more reserved and sometimes even 'introverted' Canadian mannerisms (well, at least in Toronto).

This has nothing to do with with who is better as a people mind you. In my experience, both Canadians and Americans (like anywhere else) are good hearted people when you get to know them. I do find people from around the Great Lakes like Minnesota, Michigan and Illinois to be more similar to Ontario people in terms of mannerisms than other parts of the US but they are still more outwardly friendly for some reason.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Not the easiest question to answer, there's like what a 10:1 American-Canadaian ratio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or