U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Sorry but I've got to laugh. Vancouverites? You do realize that if you were to stop " Vancouverites " on the street and ask them if they are born and bred Vancouverites the answer is most likely no. I have one friend out of many that was actually born and bred here. The rest are from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia, Mexico and parts of the U.S.
I'd say there are also at least a few Vancouverites who are from Asia.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 AM

9,530 posts, read 9,414,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Francophones are more talkative and outgoing than anglophones in Canada, but are also less formally polite.

They are much more likely to start a friendly conversation with a stranger, but less likely to hold the door for you when entering a building...

I thought holding the door for someone else was a Southern "thang". I didn't know Northerners did it, too!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I thought holding the door for someone else was a Southern "thang". I didn't know Northerners did it, too!

People in Ontario do it, and I've never noticed a real difference between Ontario and neighbouring states when it comes to this type of social behaviour.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,649,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
I'm sure you'd have to ask "depends where?"

Do you think colder weather makes people a little less friendly, on a very general basis.

Are Canadians more likely to be like "What are you talking to me for?"
The people in US are friendly but politics people get very riled up about in the US than Canada.

If you liberal and talking to some people in the US do not bring up politics .

There seems to be more hippies and hipsters in Canada than the US.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,851,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd say there are also at least a few Vancouverites who are from Asia.
I read somewhere that 40% of Lower Mainlanders were born in BC, 40% were born in other countries and 20% are from other parts of Canada. So the idea that Vancouver is mostly populated by people from Ontario is a myth.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,851,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Nicest Canadians:
- ethnic ones
- rural ones
- Quebecois, they are like up front Northeasterners who happen to speak French

Less friendly Canadians:
- Vancouverites

Many Canadians report the same "vibe" upon moving to Vancouver that some Americans experience upon moving to Seattle. Is it any wonder? They are 150 miles apart.
I find Vancouver and Seattle so, so different. Vancouver feels more similar to Toronto than it does to Seattle, despite being 3 hours from Seattle vs 3 days from Toronto.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Does Niagara Falls, Ontario have more in common with Toronto than it does with Niagara Falls, New York?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 AM

230 posts, read 434,952 times
I can answer that, having worked in one in and lived in the other: Niagara Falls, ON for sure has more in common with its US counterpart city in terms of shared environmental, economic (more true in the past when they were both heavily industrial), and possibly energy issues and concerns, but the Canadian city still has a distinctively Canadian feel to it. For one thing, it has no real slums, no significant criminal element, a much more substantial tourist sector, and more diversity.

In terms of the people, I would by no means say that the average resident of The Falls (ON) thinks, acts, or feels more like someone from across the river than someone from the GTA, or at least if you remove the pretentious, standoffish, and indifferent character *some* folks have in the latter. They are for sure more down to Earth but still are more polite, proper, and distant than their American counterparts. Joking around is not something they rush into with a stranger, for example, unlike WNYers.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
For one thing, it has no real slums, no significant criminal element, a much more substantial tourist sector, and more diversity.
Define "more diversity".

Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM

230 posts, read 434,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Define "more diversity".
Well, I'm not saying that there are necessarily more visible minorities on the Canadian side, but you do find more diversity in terms of where people are from (which IMO is real diversity, not the shallow conception of diversity Americans have based on color). On the US side you find whites, Blacks, and some Indians, but on the Canadian side I worked with people from Egypt, Jamaica, Iran, and China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or