U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
Well, I'm not saying that there are necessarily more visible minorities on the Canadian side, but you do find more diversity in terms of where people are from (which IMO is real diversity, not the shallow conception of diversity Americans have based on color). On the US side you find whites, Blacks, and some Indians, but on the Canadian side I worked with people from Egypt, Jamaica, Iran, and China.
Lol what...?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,320,707 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not saying that there are necessarily more visible minorities on the Canadian side, but you do find more diversity in terms of where people are from (which IMO is real diversity, not the shallow conception of diversity Americans have based on color). On the US side you find whites, Blacks, and some Indians, but on the Canadian side I worked with people from Egypt, Jamaica, Iran, and China.
LOL. I think maybe you should actually visit America sometime before making silly claims such as this.

New York City has a more diverse population and more languages are spoken there daily than Toronto, despite the latter claiming to be the most multicultural city in the world.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 AM

230 posts, read 434,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
LOL. I think maybe you should actually visit America sometime before making silly claims such as this.

New York City has a more diverse population and more languages are spoken there daily than Toronto, despite the latter claiming to be the most multicultural city in the world.
Um.. I've lived in four different parts of the US, including two major metro areas, before moving to Toronto. I've traveled to NYC many times, but NYC is fairly atypical as far as American cities go (considering you obviously think of yourself as an expert of the US you should know that).

In *most* American workplaces, diversity basically means Black and Hispanic. All I was pointing out is that diversity shouldn't just be about color, it should also be about making sure people from all over the world - whether they be white or whatever else - are represented.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM

558 posts, read 547,408 times
Quote:
Um.. I've lived in four different parts of the US, including two major metro areas, before moving to Toronto. I've traveled to NYC many times, but NYC is fairly atypical as far as American cities go (considering you obviously think of yourself as an expert of the US you should know that).

In *most* American workplaces, diversity basically means Black and Hispanic. All I was pointing out is that diversity shouldn't just be about color, it should also be about making sure people from all over the world - whether they be white or whatever else - are represented.
The reason why your earlier comments were so laughable is because the US is more ethnically diverse and racially diverse than Canada.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,977,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
The reason why your earlier comments were so laughable is because the US is more ethnically diverse and racially diverse than Canada.
How do you know this?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM

186 posts, read 347,669 times
I wouldn't go so far as to make a general statement like, "Yes Canadians are friendlier than Americans." However, my interactions with Canadians have always been quite pleasant. The Canadians I've met/worked with just seem a lot more laid back... I found they there are less judgmental, and very open to a variety of point of views on politics, class, race and other issues. They could easily agree to disagree and then invite you out for a drink that night. While visiting Canada, I could instantly sense that the energy of Canadians was noticeably different than that of Americans.

But then again, Im a New Yorker, so we're in a class of our own!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,536,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Are you kidding? I've been to Vancouver several times and Toronto once and everyone there was super friendly. Keep in mind these are big cities. Once I had a lady come and sit down at our table in a Tim Horton's in Vancouver and we had an interesting conversation. It seems easy to talk to anyone, if I were talk to random people in NYC or LA, they would look at me like I'm crazy.
However keep in mind I don't live in these places and I've only been there as a tourist not as someone who actually lives there. I've met people who live in Canada who claim everyone at their school or work is mean.
I co sign with this. The people in Vanouver seemed alot friendlier than what I usually deal with in LA. Just asking for directions, the locals in Vancouver would help you the best they can, while locals in LA will usually blow you off. And saying hello in LA, the locals think you are crazy, while in Vancouver they seemed more warmer when I said hi.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM

558 posts, read 547,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
How do you know this?
The US has a larger percentage of minorities than Canada. Diversity in the US is spread out across the country while Canadian diversity is confined to a few cities.

Racially the US is about 64% white, 16% hispanic, 13% black, 5% asian, 2% other.

Racially Canada is about 80% white, 10% asian, 3% black, 3% native, 4% other

A recent Thread covered this topic:

Most Diverse Countries in the World(in terms of people)

Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 AM

27 posts, read 51,670 times
Quote:
racially is obviously the states...how so ethnically though?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,850,107 times
Quote:
The US has a larger percentage of minorities than Canada. Diversity in the US is spread out across the country while Canadian diversity is confined to a few cities.

Racially the US is about 64% white, 16% hispanic, 13% black, 5% asian, 2% other.

Racially Canada is about 80% white, 10% asian, 3% black, 3% native, 4% other

A recent Thread covered this topic:

Most Diverse Countries in the World(in terms of people)
I suppose it depends what your parameters for 'diverse' is. Does the United States have a state that predominately speaks a different language? Okay we might soon if Puerto Rico joins, but Puerto Rico will never be as huge a part of America as Quebec is of Canada. Canada started in Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or