Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 PM

83 posts, read 163,919 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you'd have to ask "depends where?"

Do you think colder weather makes people a little less friendly, on a very general basis.

Are Canadians more likely to be like "What are you talking to me for?"

Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 AM

253 posts, read 557,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
I'm sure you'd have to ask "depends where?"

Do you think colder weather makes people a little less friendly, on a very general basis.

I've found people in bigger cities are generally, but not always, less friendly than people in smaller cities or towns, one exception would be Hope, BC. Hope is a beautiful (small) town but the people there were so rude and seemed to generally despise all tourists equally, maybe it's different for the people wo live there, I'll never know.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 AM

179 posts, read 830,184 times
Depends where.... :P

Canadians are quite friendly and polite. One difference with Americans is that Canadians are a bit more reserved on certain things, whereas Americans tend to be more outspoken and louder.

This question is very hard to answer, because there's no "Yes" or "No" answer. Both countries have their share of friendly people and *******s.
Americans get a bad reputation because US Customs will treat you like crap, and Canadian Customs will be polite and nice on most cases.

Personal perspective my friend, travel to both countries and see for yourself. If you want to know my opinion, I've been treated better in Canada than in the USA, and going further, people were nicer to me in Montreal than in Toronto or Hamilton, in the latter I lived for quite a bit and found it to be full of jerks(again, personal opinion) but then again I'm originally from Mexico, does that ring a bell?

Cheers!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 AM

253 posts, read 557,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Depends where.... :P

Canadians are quite friendly and polite. One difference with Americans is that Canadians are a bit more reserved on certain things, whereas Americans tend to be more outspoken and louder.
Couldn't agree more

Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post

in my opinion, they are generally more reserved and mild..a country with a very high proportion of soft-spoken types...plus they dont fuss over race/ politics/ religion/ what-school-you-went-to etc etc as much as Americans so they'll always come off as more low-key.

demographics influence these perceptions of "friendliness" too..there is a British air in Canada and that influences the reservedness of many people (esp their older people) and that can be passed down from generation to generation- just my take...in the same light as how Americans often pin the supposed "Upper Midwest reservedness" to Scandinavian historical links

weather also plays a huge role- all Northern countries/ regions tend to have more reserved tendencies in their ppl.

Last edited by f1000; 02-20-2012 at 01:17 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Are you kidding? I've been to Vancouver several times and Toronto once and everyone there was super friendly. Keep in mind these are big cities. Once I had a lady come and sit down at our table in a Tim Horton's in Vancouver and we had an interesting conversation. It seems easy to talk to anyone, if I were talk to random people in NYC or LA, they would look at me like I'm crazy.
However keep in mind I don't live in these places and I've only been there as a tourist not as someone who actually lives there. I've met people who live in Canada who claim everyone at their school or work is mean.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
I've found people in bigger cities are generally, but not always, less friendly than people in smaller cities or towns, one exception would be Hope, BC. Hope is a beautiful (small) town but the people there were so rude and seemed to generally despise all tourists equally, maybe it's different for the people wo live there, I'll never know.
Odd you should mention it in that context. Both times I spent time in Hope, I found people just great, except for the motel owners. Can't judge a town by that, of course. Wife and I had very nice times there and would/will go back.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 AM

120 posts, read 167,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Once I had a lady come and sit down at our table in a Tim Horton's in Vancouver and we had an interesting conversation. It seems easy to talk to anyone, if I were talk to random people in NYC or LA, they would look at me like I'm crazy.
I had good experiences with Americans while visiting the East coast (twice) I've been invited each time by people met in the Street to share a drink at their home (once in Cape Cod and the other time in Alexandria VA).
I encountered helpful people in the street and even the cashiers at the supermarket were eager to talk with us.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:05 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
We're warm on the outside, cold on the inside. Like an undercooked roast. my experince with Americans is that they're cool on the surface, but will give you the shirt off their backs once you get to know them, which is really unnecessary because I have enough shirts as it is.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:31 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
We're warm on the outside, cold on the inside. Like an undercooked roast. my experince with Americans is that they're cool on the surface, but will give you the shirt off their backs once you get to know them, which is really unnecessary because I have enough shirts as it is.
Yeah but wouldn't it be nice to have some that aren't plaid flannel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada