U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM

10,235 posts, read 11,246,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I thought thats what i said,Bens description of Canada while being rather terse is probably more than most would know about the place.
Some one very familiar with Canada could add so much more to each provinces descriptions..
OK, sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM

9,109 posts, read 12,665,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
The one province that I find people have commonly heard of is Nova Scotia!
In Australia people pretty much know BC, Ont and Quebec.
Not so the maritimes.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 AM

9,109 posts, read 12,665,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Still waiting for my beloved 'only offical bilingual province in Canada, home of McCains and some of the world's best maple syrup' New Brunswick to appear .. .
When I saw "official bilingual province" I knew you meant NB even before finished reading your sentence. So someone outside Canada knows NB, a lovely province I might add.

Funny there was a maritime provinces job fair in Boston a few months ago, they were looking for people to move up there. Im on an expat Canadian group and I got an email on the event, alas I was out of town else I would have checked it out.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM

1,799 posts, read 1,863,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
I find that when I'm travelling and I'm pretending to be Canadian, the locals don't know where British Columbia is or what Manitoba is.

But they definitely know most, if not all, the American states. Seattle, Washington. Los Angeles, California. Wichita, Kansas. Dallas, Texas. Miami, Florida. They get it without me having to saying Dallas, United States or Miami, United States, etc.

But when I say Vancouver, British Columbia, or Winnipeg, Manitoba; they don't understand, unless I say Vancouver, Canada or Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Are Canadian provinces not that well-known outside North America?
Canadian provinces are probably not very well-known (like the majority of Canadians couldn't tell you the name of any Australian state?). But your comparison with US states is mostly apples-to-oranges. California, Texas, Florida -- people know about them around the world but the least-populated state of the 3 still has over 50% of Canada's total population.

I think people know that Seattle is an American city but I'd be surprised if they knew about Washington state. Maybe in Asia. Kansas? I'd be surprised too. Utah? South Dakota? No way. Kentucky? Sure, because of KFC. New York? Sure, but they would be confusing the city and the state. Those interested in American politics will know about Ohio and Pennsylvania. But Georgia, Minnesota, Michigan, Maryland? Probably not.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM

4,603 posts, read 3,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Ben thats a very non descript and generic view of the Canadian provinces and territories and probably more informed than most non N.American people would know of the country.
Ben in keeping with the op's premise would your descriptions of 10 American states be more informative?
Virtually everything I know about Canada I know from the fact I like looking at maps and from the few Canadians I've met travelling - I've no personal connection with the country, though my parents have been a few times and have liked it. I've no personal connections with the US either but yes, I'd know more about ten randomly picked states - just purely through more media exposure and the fact that though they might not necessarily be bigger in size than a Canadian province they'd generally have more people and maybe more noteworthy stuff happening there. The English-language link and colonial history means even though Canada's nowhere near as well known as the US it's still easier for me to pick up knowledge about it than somewhere like France, even though I studied French for ten years and speak (well, 'used to speak' would be more accurate these days...) fluent French. Even though it's so close to me and I've been there about six times I'd struggle to even recognise the names of all the French regions never mind point to them on the map or say anything meaningful about them.

I forgot New Brunswick! I had heard of it and knew it was the only bilingual province, but still, other than that it's in the east somewhere I wouldn't know exactly where and know nothing about anything else that makes it distinct.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:54 PM

3,098 posts, read 2,250,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. They're not even well known inside North America. I think most people outside of Canada have to see the provinces on a map to figure out what you're talking about.

Why do you pretend to be from Canada when you're travelling?

he does this to avoid being mistaken for American im betting. The last time I was in the UK, I was treated like garbage, couldnt figure out why, until I told someone I was from Canada, then there rude attitude changed to a more welcoming one.

I was in Portugal and by some weird chance, met some members of the band Hooba Stank. They asked us where we were from, we told them Toronto, they said they pretend to be Canadian so they arent hated on as much...true story

Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM

3,682 posts, read 4,928,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Nova Scotia = on the east coast, is it an island? 'New Scotland', so maybe looks like Scotland or has strong Scottish-descended community?
Prince Edward Island = no idea what it's like other than it's in the east somewhere
Nova Scotia is a peninsula, not an island - you can drive to New Brunswick overland. Sure, lots of last names starts with Mac and O' - 1/2 of the phone book probably. NS has everything Maine is famous for - lobsters, blueberries, and maples, but is less known. Fishing industry is floundering, but still a lot of traditional small boat fishing. People are slowly relocating to the province's capital Halifax that has some hi-tech and financial institutions, but artist/telecommuting/retirees or anyone who's living is not dependent on location can enjoy the sparsely populated land, the pristine forests/lakes/ocean.

PEI is an island, famous for potato farming (PEI potatoes), red soil, and Anne of Green Gables book series that are so popular in Japan, every summer flocks of Japanese girls descend onto the Anne of Green Gables museum.

Both provinces have wonderful provincial parks. Every summer we see RVs with plates from all over Canada and USA parked in these parks by the ocean.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM

2,656 posts, read 2,622,311 times
Until I made a few canadian friends i had no idea of any of them except for British Columbia and Quebec.

Id certainly heard of ontario and Newfoundland, but though they were US states

Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM

312 posts, read 485,045 times
It's just not as internationally well known as the U.S. For many things actually. Internationally, most people only know large Canadian cities such as Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Just like Australia, I can't name one state there but I know what Sydney and Melbourne is. But in the United States, I can name many states and so can many other people around the world. It's just a larger and more known country than Canada.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM

353 posts, read 395,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
he does this to avoid being mistaken for American im betting. The last time I was in the UK, I was treated like garbage, couldnt figure out why, until I told someone I was from Canada, then there rude attitude changed to a more welcoming one.

I was in Portugal and by some weird chance, met some members of the band Hooba Stank. They asked us where we were from, we told them Toronto, they said they pretend to be Canadian so they arent hated on as much...true story
Lol so true. As an American, I am hated at worst, ignored at best.
But as a Canadian, I get treated very well. It also helps that I do know something about Canada too. I'm happy to tell the int'l folks about Canada That the Hudson's Bay is owned by Americans, Telus sucks, Rogers sucks, and the RCMP look like this: http://bite-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wp...2/02/rcmp2.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada