U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 PM

353 posts, read 803,999 times

Advertisements

I find that when I'm travelling and I'm pretending to be Canadian, the locals don't know where British Columbia is or what Manitoba is.

But they definitely know most, if not all, the American states. Seattle, Washington. Los Angeles, California. Wichita, Kansas. Dallas, Texas. Miami, Florida. They get it without me having to saying Dallas, United States or Miami, United States, etc.

But when I say Vancouver, British Columbia, or Winnipeg, Manitoba; they don't understand, unless I say Vancouver, Canada or Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Are Canadian provinces not that well-known outside North America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 AM

7,244 posts, read 6,585,166 times
LOL. They're not even well known inside North America. I think most people outside of Canada have to see the provinces on a map to figure out what you're talking about.

Why do you pretend to be from Canada when you're travelling?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Canada just isnt that well known globally as the USA, may have something to do with World wide news coverage of events in the USA and the plethora of TV shows originating in the USA and depicting various parts of America and its life style.
Who can immediately name all the cantons of Switzerland?
Also why do you pretend to be from Canada when you're traveling?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,160,836 times
The one province that I find people have commonly heard of is Nova Scotia!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 AM

5,599 posts, read 8,283,981 times
If I was referring to a Canadian province here in Britain (as I might have done once or twice in my whole life!) I'd have to add 'in Canada' just in case the person had never heard of it. Personally I've heard of them all (and the territories) and apart from getting confused with the Maritimes could point to them on the map, but don't have a concrete picture of what most of them are like that makes them distinct. In my mind:

Quebec = French-speaking, strong separatist tendencies
Ontario = Where Toronto and Ottawa are, more urbanised than the rest of the country
BC= on the west coast, lots of mountains and forest, major city Vancouver
Alberta = oil-rich Prairie province, biggest city is Calgary though the capital is Edmonton (?), also has Banff national park
Saskatchewan = east of Alberta, presumably flat and not many people living there
Manitoba = east again, major city Winnipeg, otherwise similar to Sask.
Nova Scotia = on the east coast, is it an island? 'New Scotland', so maybe looks like Scotland or has strong Scottish-descended community?
Prince Edward Island = no idea what it's like other than it's in the east somewhere
Newfoundland = distinct dialect that sounds like 17th-18th century English, locals supposedly known for being friendly, strong fishing heritage, cold ocean fog
NWT/Yukon = both indistinguishable from each other as far as I'm concerned. Sub-arctic climates, few people, maybe mineral wealth?
Nunavut = territory rather than a province (I don't know the practical difference) created not that long ago. Enormous land area, very few people except a few First Nations communities. Horrendously cold half the year.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 AM

Ben thats a very non descript and generic view of the Canadian provinces and territories and probably more informed than most non N.American people would know of the country.
Ben in keeping with the op's premise would your descriptions of 10 American states be more informative?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Ben thats a very non descript and generic view of the Canadian provinces and territories and probably more informed than most non N.American people would know of the country.
Ben in keeping with the op's premise would your descriptions of 10 American states be more informative?
I dunno. I'd say Ben's descriptions are pretty good for someone who lives an ocean away and probably has little or no personal ties to Canada at all, especially when one considers how low-profile a country Canada is on a global scale.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I dunno. I'd say Ben's descriptions are pretty good for someone who lives an ocean away and probably has little or no personal ties to Canada at all, especially when one considers how low-profile a country Canada is on a global scale.
I thought thats what i said,Bens description of Canada while being rather terse is probably more than most would know about the place.
Some one very familiar with Canada could add so much more to each provinces descriptions..

Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
I think it really depends where you are in the world.

I find that wherever I have been in the world Quebec is fairly well-known (and I found this even before I moved to Quebec BTW), likely because it is the proverbial outlier/black sheep. (And it is not just well-known in French-speaking countries.)

Also, you will find that Prince Edward Island is well-known in Japan because for some reason Japanese schoolgirls are wild about Anne of Green Gables.

British Columbia is well-known in Australia because many young Australian ski bums go there.

And so on...

But by and large Canadian provinces don't have a huge international profile. People abroad tend to know Canadian cities more than the provinces, for various reasons:

Toronto: my third cousin Bhupinder/Giovanni/Chang lives there

Montreal: I watch a Formula 1 auto race held there every year

Vancouver: they just had the Winter Olympics

Stuff like that.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,160,836 times
Still waiting for my beloved 'only offical bilingual province in Canada, home of McCains and some of the world's best maple syrup' New Brunswick to appear .. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada