U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 AM

48 posts, read 77,339 times

Advertisements

Hey,
So two questions:
I need a great hotel for an upcoming business trip to Winnipeg. I have never been there before, and all searches point to downtown. help? My best pick so far is Inn at the Forks simply because it has that cool vibe.

I would love a great bar/pub to chill out in. My style: Beer market with high end beer, pizza & wine bar, sports bar(for hockey!). I prefer a nice casual experience.
Is there a strip or a street that is popular there right now? Preferrably somewhere I could walk, but cabs are not out of the question. Somewhere with a bevy of beauties and a cool cultural or artsy vibe. Not into the nightclub scene, drinks are too expensive and dance music sounds like garbage.

Google search can only do so much, lets hear it from the locals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,871,337 times
Inn at the Forks, is very nice, Muddy Waters Bar is also nice. I am not into the bar scene. Why don't you check Tripadvisor?? Check out the Exchange District, and the Mariaggi Theme Suite hotel, and last but certainly not least, the Fairmont Hotel is connected through underground tunnels so you don't have to go outside, if you are not a fan of prairie winter, although this winter has been very warm.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Inn at the Forks, is very nice, Muddy Waters Bar is also nice. I am not into the bar scene. Why don't you check Tripadvisor?? Check out the Exchange District, and the Mariaggi Theme Suite hotel, and last but certainly not least, the Fairmont Hotel is connected through underground tunnels so you don't have to go outside, if you are not a fan of prairie winter, although this winter has been very warm.
Fairmont is too expenisve for my liking, and checked members photos of the hotel - kinda disgusting.
Inn @ the Forks looks cool, great being next to a park for a run eh?
It'll be a couple weeks still, so that's why i'm doing my research beforehand.

I'm not into the bar scene either, but want a nice chill place to hang out, maybe some decent music, great food, couple bottles of wine

Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 PM

312 posts, read 946,451 times
I am planning a trip back to Winnipeg as well. For hotels I would say Inn at the Forks is the best. Fairmont, Delta and Fort Garry are close seconds though. The Fairmont has the convenience of being connected to the underground city so that would be helpful during cold winters. Overall I would say Inn at the Forks is the best in terms of hotels especially since you want to be near the Forks. I'm going to stay at Inn at the Forks during my stay. As for restaurants and all I would say look around Corydon and Osborne Village for the best restaurants and bars and you will need a cab or transit to get to those places from the Forks.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
I am planning a trip back to Winnipeg as well. For hotels I would say Inn at the Forks is the best. Fairmont, Delta and Fort Garry are close seconds though. The Fairmont has the convenience of being connected to the underground city so that would be helpful during cold winters. Overall I would say Inn at the Forks is the best in terms of hotels especially since you want to be near the Forks. I'm going to stay at Inn at the Forks during my stay. As for restaurants and all I would say look around Corydon and Osborne Village for the best restaurants and bars and you will need a cab or transit to get to those places from the Forks.
I have to be near Corydon for my trip as well, so that's why I wanted to stay downtown.
Osborne village is the high density neighbourhood, is that right?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinmymoney View Post
I have to be near Corydon for my trip as well, so that's why I wanted to stay downtown.
Osborne village is the high density neighbourhood, is that right?
Yes and there's many nice shop's and restaurants around there. It's a very walkable and nice area. Sorry, never mind what i said in my last post about needing to take a cab , It's actually right underneath the Forks and Corydon intersects it.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Yes and there's many nice shop's and restaurants around there. It's a very walkable and nice area. Sorry, never mind what i said in my last post about needing to take a cab , It's actually right underneath the Forks and Corydon intersects it.
Thanks for all the info.

I think i'm just going to find 5 good places off Yelp.ca or Urbanspoon then GPS it!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,871,337 times
Quote:
Well have fun on your trip..no one I know who has ever stayed at the Fairmont has been disappointed, but the Inn at the Forks is beautiful..

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Well have fun on your trip..no one I know who has ever stayed at the Fairmont has been disappointed, but the Inn at the Forks is beautiful..
Thanks!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 PM

88 posts, read 159,323 times
"Trip" and "winnipeg" should not be used in the same sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada