U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 PM

51 posts, read 213,590 times

Advertisements

From what I have read, most of the post see this as a majorly negative thing, and it is often associated with why "single mother" would be a risky choice at best for some men. On the other hand, I have another understanding of this law. I am thinking of for instance of the situation described by a single mom on another post, where she explained that her 5 years old has seen her bio dad only until a few month old, and then has seen the boyfriend as her "real" dad for over 4 years now - nearly all her life. As far as she is concerned, that step-dad IS her real dad, not the bio dad. When I try to imagine that I would be this step-dad, the boyfriend, I am left wondering this: what would happen if I suddenly were to break-up with the mom? Wouldn't I be totally heart-broken that this would mean I was going to loose my relationship with "my" daughter? Of course, that kid isn't really the boyfriend's daughter - not from a biological sense. But as far as the relationship links created between the step-dad and her, it might be nearly as terrible for the step-dad never to see her again, as it would be for the kid.

Note that the law of course isn't about single mother, but rather about single parent and that it can just as well be applicable to a single-dad with full custody having a girlfriend. For this reason, I'll present my question in a neutral way, and will talk about primary caregiver vs step-parent. So my question is this: isn't that law also protecting the non-bio step-parent? If the step-parent breaks up with the primary caregiver, and he/she has to pay child support, this also means that he/she is entitled to see the child legally, and act as a legal parent (like an adoption). It means the primary caregiver cannot prevent the step-parent from continuing to be present in the child's life (absent of abuse of course).

In other words, asking for child support from a boyfriend/girlfriend for your child is, at the same time, recognizing legally that the step-parent is seen as a real parent for the child. It is a recognition of the strength and importance of the relationship between the non-bio parent and the child. Isn't Canada child support law in that regard a double edged sword then, that is as much in favor of the primary caregiver financially, as it is in favor of the secondary caregiver / step parent in terms of relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM

15,729 posts, read 18,103,913 times
It would be helpful if you could post a link to the Canadian Child Support law that you are referencing.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,486,098 times
Are you saying a boyfriend can be hit with child support for a child that's not his?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,629,477 times
Don't have a law degree from McGill. My opinions are unchanged from a similar thread in Relationships you started which, by the way, was locked but made for enjoyable discourse.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-06-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,162,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Are you saying a boyfriend can be hit with child support for a child that's not his?
It happens in the USA as well, not just in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or