U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times

Advertisements

I find that Quebecers could be said to drive "with purpose". This does not always necessarily mean they are careful or courteous though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 AM

410 posts, read 516,163 times
.................................................. .................................................. ....................................
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Driving in Québec is something that requires nerves of steel.

Check out this cool timelapse video about Montréal (And notice the general lawlessness when driving)

Hey that's my vid! I definitely agree with others that left-lane hogging is a nono in Quebec. The US too tends to be good in this regard save for super-urban areas (miami comes to mind)

I agree Ontario doesnt apply the principle as much, and tailgates more, but I think these are just symptoms of have very high volume highways.

Just look at the courtesy I was shown on this drive from montreal to magog. Folks vacate lane immediately!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM

903 posts, read 2,242,383 times
I spent a lot of time in Toronto and Ottawa where pedestrians need to be on their toes and somewhat aggressive to get around.

I had to go to a small town in Southwestern Ontario for a job interview. I believe it was Tilsonburg. As I was driving into the downtown I noticed that pedestrians kept walking out in front of me. I was scratching my head about it. Then when I parked and went to cross the road the cars would stop and let me pass. I realized it was the local custom

Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,571,595 times
I just moved back to Niagara from 5 years in Kitchener. The traffic engineers in Kitchener think us drivers are too stupid to turn left against oncoming traffic. Since that's the case they put in advanced left turn lights that turn red while it's still green to go straight through. To express my objection to this I just turned left anyway if there was no one coming. Once though, OH OH, I had not noticed there ws a cop sitting kitty corner and he was watching me turn against the red. Lucky for me though it must have been donut time at the local Tim's and he ignored me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada