U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 AM

11 posts, read 27,295 times

Advertisements

Firstly, thanks a lot for taking the time to read this and help me.

In short, I'm 24 living in Tampa, FL for 6 years. For many reasons, I want to move.

I currently work in an independent business right here in Carrollwood, so when I move, I will have to revert to working retail or banking. That would leave my income, depending on the job I acquire, as low as $20k to as much as $28k. Not a lot, but I don't need anything fancy.

What am I looking for?

I will be moving alone.
I am looking to rent a house, not buy.

The smaller the town, the better. I like quiet and boring, not lively college town. Definitely not a city person.

I just today considered Canada for a few reasons.
I have read/heard that it has a significantly lower crime rate than the US.
I have heard that apparently, people are just nicer there.
Here in Tampa, FL, I'm the type that always smiles when I pass a person in the grocery store or say hello when passing someone on the sidewalk (way my mother raised me), but I am used to getting snubbed or just ignored. I think people are uncomfortable because they aren't used to it.
I know Canada has some beautiful areas and nature, something New Jersey, New York, and Florida (all places I've lived), don't have.

The east coast states are too expensive, or they are too populated.
The west coast is preferred, but I'm still weighing my options.

I have enough money to make one trip to one location to explore. That's why it's so important to pick the most likely place for me to move. The next trip I'd be able to take probably wouldn't be until 2014, and by that point, I want to have relocated.

To anyone who has lived his/her entire life in Canada, please let me know if this might be a good place for me to consider.

Again, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,149,308 times
Coming from hot Florida, my wild guess is that you will hard a hard time phycically adapting to arctic like Canadian winters. Think it over twice (my 2 cents).

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,138,645 times
The first thing you need to do is make sure you qualify to immigrate to Canada. The process can take 1 to 3 years and will cost you thousands of dollars in application fees.

Also, it is generally very difficult unless you have a college or university degree plus several years of work experience in a "skilled worker" category. If so, you can often qualify as a "skiled worker" even without a job lined up in Canada. There is also a NAFTA professional visa that you may qualify for in certain occupations, but this requires a job offer. Other ways include student visas, employment visas, and family-based visas.

If you only have a high school diploma, no family in Canada, and no job offer in Canada, it will likely be impossible to legally move to Canada.

If you have decided that you do qualify, you need to be willing to go through the immigration process (lots of paperwork, required medical exam, fees often adding up to thousands of dollars).

From the sound of your post, it seems you have not visited Canada. You really should at least visit before considering a move. I, personally, love Canada and do not wish to move back to the U.S., but others may feel differently.

Also, one thing I had to point out incorrect in your post... New Jersey, New York, and Florida do indeed have plenty of natural beauty, especially New York. The Adirondacks, Finger Lakes, etc. are gorgeous... in fact most of upstate NY is beautiful. NJ also has beautiful places and so does FL.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Plan-A = Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada
As Tarp said,dont get your hopes up and it does take some time..

Plan-B = Burlington VT.

$20K wont get you much no matter where you live..

Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 27,295 times
Based on this alone, it sounds like for a first time move by myself, with the kind of work I do--maybe this will be better when I'm older.

Perhaps for a first move, I should stay within the US.

Thank you for the advice

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDB View Post
Based on this alone, it sounds like for a first time move by myself, with the kind of work I do--maybe this will be better when I'm older.

Perhaps for a first move, I should stay within the US.

Thank you for the advice
If you are into banking, check out the Royal Bank - they have a big presence in the USA and you could likely transfer to Canada from within!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,138,645 times
Royal Bank no longer has a large presence in the U.S. They sold their U.S. banking operations to PNC Bank and now only operate a small banking operation for cross-border banking purposes, based out of Atlanta, with no physical branches.

The OP's only viable option would likely be a student visa, but then she'd have to pay international tuition rates. It would probably be cheaper for her to relocate to a low-cost jurisdiction in the U.S. and pursue higher education at a state university there.

Personally I consider Canada a superior country to the United States, but the reality is that most U.S. citizens do not have enough "points" to migrate there. Canada only wants the "cream of the crop" in terms of educational attainment and job skills to settle there. They have enough people to fill the less-skilled jobs.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM

364 posts, read 1,009,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
If you are into banking, check out the Royal Bank - they have a big presence in the USA and you could likely transfer to Canada from within!
Or TD bank, whose headquarters are in Toronto.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you would qualify to move to Canada. You are still young, what about going to school in Canada? Not sure what the qualifications are for that.

I am suprised by your comment about lack of natural areas in NJ. I am from Canada and I am finding it quite beautiful in NJ. We are in an extremely treed area with lots of parks and wooded areas, and we love being close to the coast. You are right about one thing, though...it is expensive. But west coast Canada is very expensive, too.

As a new advocate of NJ, Check out the NJ photo thread:
New Jersey Picture Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Royal Bank no longer has a large presence in the U.S. They sold their U.S. banking operations to PNC Bank and now only operate a small banking operation for cross-border banking purposes, based out of Atlanta, with no physical branches.

The OP's only viable option would likely be a student visa, but then she'd have to pay international tuition rates. It would probably be cheaper for her to relocate to a low-cost jurisdiction in the U.S. and pursue higher education at a state university there.

Personally I consider Canada a superior country to the United States, but the reality is that most U.S. citizens do not have enough "points" to migrate there. Canada only wants the "cream of the crop" in terms of educational attainment and job skills to settle there. They have enough people to fill the less-skilled jobs.
Dang! Aren't you up on the news! I see it just transitioned (March 2) to PNC! Well that's a shame. I knew a couple of people from Canada that transferred to Charlotte so thought that would have been a good avenue for her in the reverse.

Well, there's always marrying a Canadian

Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM

179 posts, read 662,335 times
Check your options, it's definitely not Impossible to move to Canada, but a lot of Americans think that they can just pack their bags and show up at the border!

Do you have a degree? If so, what kind? For example, a degree in engineering will allow you to immigrate, a business degree most likely won't. Check your options! There are some weird professions in demand in Canada (Being a butcher will allow you to immigrate to Québec and other provinces for example!!)

If you don't have a degree, then how badly do you want to move to Canada? Are you willing to go back to school for 3 - 4 years? You can apply to study in Canada. Canadian universities qualify for US government loans, which makes it a lot easier, and once inside, after you graduate you can pursue a work permit and immigrate through the CEC (Canadian Experience Plan). Check out the PNP (Provincial Nominee Programme) if you have a province in mind where you want to settle, then check out if they have a PNP, which makes it a lot faster and easier to immigrate, especially if you're willing to settle outside the metropolitan centres.

And yes, Immigrating is a pain in the ass. I've spent over $3,000 CAD it took me two years to get approved (I haven't gotten my Landing papers yet!) and it probably increased my blood pressure, but to me it's worth it, Canada IMO is the best country in the world and I consider it just a small sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or