U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:01 PM

229 posts, read 341,212 times

Advertisements

My sister and I were traveling with our parents in the summer of 2009 in Canada. We took a sleeping-car train up to Seattle, and another to Vancouver Pacific Railway station after a 1 night stop in Seattle. Before letting us into the country, they asked the usual questions. They weren't going to stamp off hand without asking, but we asked politely and the Canadian immigration officers stamped our passports. Vancouver train station customs is very friendly. They smiled a lot and they are used to having lots of people coming at once, followed by long periods of inactivity waiting for the next train.

I've been to Mexico (Baja) three times. The first was before the Western Travel Initiative so no passport was needed and I didn't own one. It was just a brief stroll across the border and back (I was in SD and I wanted to see what it was like). The other two times were the previous months of march ('10 and '11) when I went on a mission trip. We were in vans driven by people who cross all the time so their faces are known. the Mexican authorities just looked at our passports with no stamping involved. The first year they made us get out, the second not even. Mexican officials are more concerned about drugs or weapons. Of course, if I were to cross now alone, I'd ask.

Approaching Vancouver, there is fencing on both side of the tracks and if you are transfering to VIA (Canadian version of Amtrak, but nicer) you still have to go through customs. The only way to get to the other platforms is through Canadian security.

Last edited by Glenview94602; 03-29-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
Default passport not stamped

my sister came from france through montreal to stay with me to the US for 3 months, we went back to montreal twice since and was hoping she could stay longer than 3 months in USA but they did not stamp her passport, how could she prove she actually went through the canadian border twice ?
thanks
cecile

Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,447,708 times
I don't see the issue in asking for the passport to be stamped. Just ask. Yeah, it's government property, but you can request them to poke a hole through it and void passport once it's expired, and then it's yours. I don't know what's up with the other posters getting annoyed over asking for a stamp. They're just border countrol people, and it's a reasonable request. You don't have to kiss their a** that much.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM

15,837 posts, read 10,041,097 times
No need to stamp your passport - they just scan it or swipe it. US customs also scans your license plate and then your border crossing history comes up on a screen. On the southern border they even record license plates leaving the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or