U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:54 PM

27 posts, read 57,528 times

Advertisements

where is the best place to get your passport stamped in canada just over the border? I'm thinkkng of visiting detroit this summer and was wondering how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Sounds like something that can be done right at the border..

Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 PM

Hey Jambo101 thanks a lot. I've never driven out of the country but I have flown. I figured it'd be kinda cool to get a stamp since you never know when you'll visit again. Do you know what the nearest checkpoint is crossing from Detroit?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,139,215 times
They don't stamp your passport when you cross at the border.

I think they would look at you funny if you asked them to stamp it.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,005,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
They don't stamp your passport when you cross at the border.

I think they would look at you funny if you asked them to stamp it.
They stamped my daughters passport for some reason at the Quebec-Vermont border last year, but did not stamp my wife's nor myself.

To the OP, just ask them to stamp it, dont see why that would be a reason for them to look at you funny.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingreezy View Post
Hey Jambo101 thanks a lot. I've never driven out of the country but I have flown. I figured it'd be kinda cool to get a stamp since you never know when you'll visit again. Do you know what the nearest checkpoint is crossing from Detroit?
The nearest checkpoint would be the Ambassador bridge over the strait from downtown Detroit into the city of Windsor, Ontario which is located directly across the water. Or you can take the tunnel which goes under the strait, which as I understand doesn't handle commercial traffic, so it might have better traffic in it. Windsor is a small industrial city and it's fairly suburban in nature, but there are a couple nice things to see. The waterfront is beautiful and there's some nice little parks along it, including the Odette sculpture park, which is picturesque. There's a few other attractions too.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...or-TG-C-1.html

Last edited by BIMBAM; 03-11-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 03:10 PM

8,578 posts, read 11,067,923 times
It's a passport, a government identity document that doesn't actually belong to you. Not a holiday keepsake. It will be stamped when it needs to be when you enter a foreign country.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 PM

179 posts, read 662,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's a passport, a government identity document that doesn't actually belong to you. Not a holiday keepsake. It will be stamped when it needs to be when you enter a foreign country.
+1

A passport is actually property of the government. I'd honestly hate it if you pissed a guard off with your "demand"

I would only recommend you to ask if it's possible only if the border guard is being nice.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Default Thank you

I appreciate all the great informative responses. I didn't get my passport stamped in Paris when I went and thought man I'd like to have that for my Wife and I. As for "demanding it" that is hilarious in itself. I just wanted to see if it was possible, if so where and how? Again thanks CityData family for the enlightenment.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:01 PM

285 posts, read 610,621 times
I've crossed several times with my current passport and nobody has stamped my passport.

Perhaps it's because I'm crossing at busy border points and they're just trying to keep things moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or