U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,350,053 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm curious to know the state of civil liberties in Canada compared to the US. Here in the states, the government is gradually hacking away at our basic civil liberties, especially the 1st amendment right to free speech. This is not a temporary blip, but rather a long-term trend, as both republicans and democrats alike (is there really a difference anyway?) are taking unprecedented strides toward restricting civil liberties (I won't go into the details, but the evidence is overwhelming).

Is there a similar trend in Canada?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
People don't talk about civil liberties in Canada the way they do in the US. Since you are being very general, then generalizing in turn from what I hear on the news, I'd say that generally what Americans consider liberty, Canadians might consider license.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,188,447 times
Well, in Canada in their free speech section of their "constitution" it says, paraphrasing, that the people have the right to freely express their opinion, but reasonable government regulation is allowed. Alberta province is also infringing on what homeschoolers may teach in the privacy of their homes when it comes to political philosophies

Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,204,307 times
Ask Mark Steyn:

Free speech, eh? Why is Canada prosecuting Mark Steyn? - World - CBC News

June 13, 2008.

The bookshop across the street from my office here in Washington is once again offering America Alone, Mark Steyn's 2006 polemic about the Muslim diaspora in the West.
But it now carries this splash on the cover: "Soon to be banned in Canada."
Inside the latest edition, Steyn, a conservative New Hampshire-based columnist who writes regularly for a number of Canadian publications, advises the reader: "If you're browsing this in a Canadian bookstore, you may well be holding a bona fide 'hate crime' in your hand."
That is a bit of self-promotion, of course, designed to sell even more copies of a book that is already a New York Times bestseller. It also happens to be true.

Steyn, at the moment, is effectively being tried, by a quasi-judicial panel in Vancouver, for insulting Islam.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:58 PM

In the US, the government can now arrest you and detain you *indefinitely* without due process (google "NDAA") for being a "terrorist", and of course "terrorist" being defined as whatever the government decides it is, including protesting against the government.

Obama also just signed a bill that prohibits free speech at any public event in which the secret service is present (google HR 347).

And let's not forget the "Patriot Act", which is still alive and kicking.

There is little doubt the US is becoming a fascist state. Just wondering if Canada is also seeing their civil liberties being eroded in such fashion. Here in the US, we are going down the road of fascism for sure.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Ask Mark Steyn:

Free speech, eh? Why is Canada prosecuting Mark Steyn? - World - CBC News

June 13, 2008.

The bookshop across the street from my office here in Washington is once again offering America Alone, Mark Steyn's 2006 polemic about the Muslim diaspora in the West.
But it now carries this splash on the cover: "Soon to be banned in Canada."
Inside the latest edition, Steyn, a conservative New Hampshire-based columnist who writes regularly for a number of Canadian publications, advises the reader: "If you're browsing this in a Canadian bookstore, you may well be holding a bona fide 'hate crime' in your hand."
That is a bit of self-promotion, of course, designed to sell even more copies of a book that is already a New York Times bestseller. It also happens to be true.

Steyn, at the moment, is effectively being tried, by a quasi-judicial panel in Vancouver, for insulting Islam.
Ridiculous. Political correctness gone awry.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,188,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Ridiculous. Political correctness gone awry.
Generally speaking, if you want to live in a freer country with little to no political correctness than the US, best to move to Latin America.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM

218 posts, read 445,188 times
The 2011 Legatum Prosperity Index

High levels of individual freedoms in Canada help to create an extremely tolerant and welcoming society
Canadian citizens are afforded extensive freedom of expression, association, and organisation, placing sixth on this variable. Public satisfaction with the level of individual freedoms is very high, with over 90%* of respondents stating their contentment with the degree of freedom of expression and belief in 2010. Residents believe that Canada is a very tolerant and welcoming country, with an extremely high nine in 10* claiming that the area where they live provides a welcoming environment for both immigrants and ethnic minorities; Canada places in the top three countries on both of these variables.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM

179 posts, read 662,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Generally speaking, if you want to live in a freer country with little to no political correctness than the US, best to move to Latin America.
+1

I haven't read the book so I won't comment on it.

But in regards to free speech, where do you draw the line?

The world isn't (shouldn't be!) a free-for-all where everyone can just say whatever they want. The freedom of moving your arm freely ends when it touches my nose.

Can I yell "FIRE!" in a movie theatre? Or why can't I just call people from a different ethnicity racial slurs if I'm not hurting anyone? Well because saying whatever you want is not allowed, especially if it will promote violence/prejudice against someone else.

I don't really care if the government is threatening me to send me to jail if I call someone a racial slur or anything like that. You know why? Because I don't do it! I'm respectful and don't judge someone based on the colour of their skin, their religion, their sexual orientation, their height, etc.

But of course I'm just taking advantage of my freedom of speech and expressing my opinion on this forum

Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,163,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
+1

I haven't read the book so I won't comment on it.

But in regards to free speech, where do you draw the line?

The world isn't (shouldn't be!) a free-for-all where everyone can just say whatever they want. The freedom of moving your arm freely ends when it touches my nose.

Can I yell "FIRE!" in a movie theatre? Or why can't I just call people from a different ethnicity racial slurs if I'm not hurting anyone? Well because saying whatever you want is not allowed, especially if it will promote violence/prejudice against someone else.

I don't really care if the government is threatening me to send me to jail if I call someone a racial slur or anything like that. You know why? Because I don't do it! I'm respectful and don't judge someone based on the colour of their skin, their religion, their sexual orientation, their height, etc.

But of course I'm just taking advantage of my freedom of speech and expressing my opinion on this forum
I think that you will fit in well in Canada - your attitude pretty much sums up how most Canadians that I know, see "freedom of speech". I find the Canadian approach well balanced. I agree with your post 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or