Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM

482 posts, read 2,410,797 times

Advertisements

Canada is a country of distinct cultural differences between regions. Just wondering, what is unique about where you live now compared to where you used to live (or visit frequently)?

One major difference I have noticed between urban Central Canada and urban Western Canada is motorist/pedestrian interaction. In Montreal for instance the law of the jungle or law of the sea prevails... Smaller avoids larger. Pedestrians avoid cars. In Calgary, pedestrians are some of the gustiest I've ever seen. Pedestrians will step out in front of loaded dump trucks expecting them to stop at the crosswalk... They seem to have the moral imperative in Calgary as well where in Montreal that same person would literally be considered mentally unwell...

What defines your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,465,461 times
I've noticed that motorists in Ontario tailgate more than Montreal or Vancouver motorists. So much so I think it might be that collectively they've decided that the correct following distance is shorter than that agreed upon in most other places.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,561,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Canada is a country of distinct cultural differences between regions. Just wondering, what is unique about where you live now compared to where you used to live (or visit frequently)?

One major difference I have noticed between urban Central Canada and urban Western Canada is motorist/pedestrian interaction. In Montreal for instance the law of the jungle or law of the sea prevails... Smaller avoids larger. Pedestrians avoid cars. In Calgary, pedestrians are some of the gustiest I've ever seen. Pedestrians will step out in front of loaded dump trucks expecting them to stop at the crosswalk... They seem to have the moral imperative in Calgary as well where in Montreal that same person would literally be considered mentally unwell...

What defines your area?
I was pleasantly surprised when I visited Quebec last year that some car drivers would just stop and let you cross the road, even when there was no crosswalk, they certainly seemed to be a lot more considerate to pedestrians than drivers in Australia.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I was pleasantly surprised when I visited Quebec last year that some car drivers would just stop and let you cross the road, even when there was no crosswalk, they certainly seemed to be a lot more considerate to pedestrians than drivers in Australia.
Certainly beats Windsor or Toronto where I have actually seen drivers speed up when someone walked onto the street. Of course, Windsor doesn't have a jaywalking ban nor does it even have controlled pedestrian crosswalks.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 AM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post

Living in Quebec I was somewhat surprised to read this.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 AM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
I live on the border between Quebec and Ontario and one thing I have noticed is that left (fast) lane ''hogging'' by driving slowly is much more tolerated in Ontario than in Quebec. Sure, you may get flashed and tailgated in Ontario as well, but not so instantaneously and, umm... as enthusiastically as you will in Quebec.

It appears to be essentially a provincial difference because the most aggressive city behind the wheel (Gatineau) is by far the smaller of the two (compared to Ottawa).

Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I live on the border between Quebec and Ontario and one thing I have noticed is that left (fast) lane ''hogging'' by driving slowly is much more tolerated in Ontario than in Quebec. Sure, you may get flashed and tailgated in Ontario as well, but not so instantaneously and, umm... as enthusiastically as you will in Quebec.

It appears to be essentially a provincial difference because the most aggressive city behind the wheel (Gatineau) is by far the smaller of the two (compared to Ottawa).
Could also be cultural. Sub-par driving is just less tolerated in Quebec. I don't think it is a coincidence that winter tires are mandatory in Quebec unlike the rest of Canada. Sloppy driving (and left land hogging is sloppy) is just not culturally acceptable in Quebec.

Mind you, in Western Canada you also see less left land hogging even though the culture is more "laid back."

Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,104,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Could also be cultural. Sub-par driving is just less tolerated in Quebec. I don't think it is a coincidence that winter tires are mandatory in Quebec unlike the rest of Canada. Sloppy driving (and left land hogging is sloppy) is just not culturally acceptable in Quebec.

Mind you, in Western Canada you also see less left land hogging even though the culture is more "laid back."
I don't think sloppiness is the right word. Courtesy is generally a non-factor in Quebec. Nobody ever yields without a yield sign (you want to change lanes? you slow down and let me through, then you change lanes. oh, there are 5 cars behind you and you'll never be able to change lanes? too bad, don't care!)

The SAAQ (provincial DMV) actually made ad campaigns on courtesy in the past few years.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 PM

179 posts, read 822,953 times
Driving in Québec is something that requires nerves of steel.

Check out this cool timelapse video about Montréal (And notice the general lawlessness when driving)

Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I don't think sloppiness is the right word. Courtesy is generally a non-factor in Quebec. Nobody ever yields without a yield sign (you want to change lanes? you slow down and let me through, then you change lanes. oh, there are 5 cars behind you and you'll never be able to change lanes? too bad, don't care!)

The SAAQ (provincial DMV) actually made ad campaigns on courtesy in the past few years.
Courtesy can be taken too far, after all the point of driving is to get from A to B as quickly and safely as possible. (otherwise a bike would do, no?)

One person's lack of courtesy can be perceived by others as efficient and assertive after all.

Coming from my personal experience, I find that rural Canadian drivers in general tend to dawdle and are on the timid and slow side. Comparing Western and Rural Canadian drivers to the world that is definitely the case. The drive with a certain lack of confidence. Those same folks would consider Central Canada city folks to be "crazy drivers" (their quotes, not mine). I personally enjoy driving in Quebec because the folks there don't waste time and get on with driving. Similarly to Chicago, Detroit, London, Paris, etc.

That of course is seen thru a cultural lens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada