U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 PM
 
2,291 posts, read 3,935,416 times
Reputation: 2056

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Can you elaborate on what is in bold.
BIMBAM provided the link just above (what per capita income means).

As for my "regional and cultural differences within a country trump the US vs Canada comparisons on most respects" comment, what I meant is that variation within a country (one state/area vs another, or a given cultural/demographic group vs another) is way more important than the difference between countrywide US and Canada measures. For example, looking at the median household income table I provided in my last post --

Canada (PPP i.e. purchasing power neutral) $54,510
US $49,445
Difference ~$5,000

Connecticut $66,452
Mississippi $35,076
Difference ~$31,000

(that said, those PPP rates come from the OECD i.e. country-level numbers, the "true" difference between US states is assuredly smaller than that, since the cost of living in CT is higher than MS)

You'd likely find similar patterns for crime, poverty rate, drug addiction rates or whatever you use as a proxy for "social problems".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Ka-nah-da
254 posts, read 486,076 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Does the US have alot more social issues than Canada when comes to crime , drugs ,addiction , teen pregnancy ,promiscuous youth , school drop out and out-of-Wedlock.......Also there more street gang problems in the US than Canada.
You should look into the reasons why you have such a large variety of violent and dangerous gangs in the US....many kids of the non white race feel ostracized and not wanted in certain areas of America. They create groups within their own race/culture while holding resentment towards those who ostracized them. The crips were founded because of this and so were many other gangs....maybe if people would give up their racist redneck ways, America would be a little peaceful and could cross out some of their social issues.
Just saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Mexico City (Montreal soon!)
179 posts, read 662,625 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
You should look into the reasons why you have such a large variety of violent and dangerous gangs in the US....many kids of the non white race feel ostracized and not wanted in certain areas of America. They create groups within their own race/culture while holding resentment towards those who ostracized them. The crips were founded because of this and so were many other gangs....maybe if people would give up their racist redneck ways, America would be a little peaceful and could cross out some of their social issues.
Just saying
I'm not American and even I find this comment rather offensive. Los Angeles has a whole bunch of gangs and I wouldn't exactly call it a "Redneck" town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 AM
 
Location: Ka-nah-da
254 posts, read 486,076 times
Reputation: 336
Well I'm sorry the truth is offensive, but this is how the Crips became the Crips. The Mongols biker gang sprouted up because they were denied entry into the Hell's Angels based on their ethnicity. America has a high number of racist and intolerant people and as long as these people continue to "think" this way, this particular social problem will only get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 01:47 AM
 
3,060 posts, read 7,161,659 times
Reputation: 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Per capita income is, simplistically, Gross Domestic Product, so all of the goods and services an economy produces, divided by population. Wikipedia:

Per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Disposable income is probably a better indicator of what people have to spend. These figures show the averages after all taxes have been taken off - (in other words, the Canadian healthcare costs have already been deducted from the Canadian figures.)

From List of countries by average wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,493,596 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
Well I'm sorry the truth is offensive, but this is how the Crips became the Crips. The Mongols biker gang sprouted up because they were denied entry into the Hell's Angels based on their ethnicity. America has a high number of racist and intolerant people and as long as these people continue to "think" this way, this particular social problem will only get worse.
I'm sorry, but it's much more complicated and systemic than racism which is only one part of a wider issue, which is that the US let an underclass develop, albeit with racial connotations because of their history. It's the lasting impact of people being racist forty years ago even if people changed there ways now. It's the fault of a broken justice system that manufactures criminals. It's the lack of real institutions like health care systems, true public education, and public transit which combined could ease the burden of poverty enough so that there'd be hope of crawling up from under it. A thousand different mistakes add up to their situation, and those just didn't happen to our cities. Our city cores didn't die and our poor stayed upwardly mobile to a greater degree.

Which isn't to say we don't have our social sins and bad history that comes up to bite us on the ass. Our government was incompetent for all of history, even until today, on the topic of Aboriginal peoples. They can argue all they want about why the things they did are really what was the right decision, but the manifestation of their incompetence is massive social problems and urban Aboriginal ghettos, like you see with African Americans and Hispanics in the US, all throughout the Western cities and in northern towns, not to mention many reserves. They didn't do great with their aboriginal people, but we did even worse. In fact, to see how bad we screwed up, just compare Nunavut and Nunavik with Greenland, the Inuit territory Denmark colonized. They're wealthier, they're happier, they aren't plagued by mass substance abuse, mental health issues, and there culture and language isn't under threat, they're secure in their institutions. We messed up to so let's not be too smug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
Reputation: 8193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm sorry, but it's much more complicated and systemic than racism which is only one part of a wider issue, which is that the US let an underclass develop, albeit with racial connotations because of their history. It's the lasting impact of people being racist forty years ago even if people changed there ways now. It's the fault of a broken justice system that manufactures criminals. It's the lack of real institutions like health care systems, true public education, and public transit which combined could ease the burden of poverty enough so that there'd be hope of crawling up from under it. A thousand different mistakes add up to their situation, and those just didn't happen to our cities. Our city cores didn't die and our poor stayed upwardly mobile to a greater degree.

Which isn't to say we don't have our social sins and bad history that comes up to bite us on the ass. Our government was incompetent for all of history, even until today, on the topic of Aboriginal peoples. They can argue all they want about why the things they did are really what was the right decision, but the manifestation of their incompetence is massive social problems and urban Aboriginal ghettos, like you see with African Americans and Hispanics in the US, all throughout the Western cities and in northern towns, not to mention many reserves. They didn't do great with their aboriginal people, but we did even worse. In fact, to see how bad we screwed up, just compare Nunavut and Nunavik with Greenland, the Inuit territory Denmark colonized. They're wealthier, they're happier, they aren't plagued by mass substance abuse, mental health issues, and there culture and language isn't under threat, they're secure in their institutions. We messed up to so let's not be too smug.

Once again, a really great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 AM
 
2,291 posts, read 3,935,416 times
Reputation: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Disposable income is probably a better indicator of what people have to spend. These figures show the averages after all taxes have been taken off - (in other words, the Canadian healthcare costs have already been deducted from the Canadian figures.)

From List of countries by average wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good point, and thanks for the link. However, the average vs. median discussion still applies -- the US is ahead of Canada for every "average" measure but "median" measures usually have them very close to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
 
701 posts, read 896,555 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
In viewing median income consider how they are averaged; the 400 wealthiest Americans have as much wealth as the poorer 150,000,000. Or that half of Americans have a gross income of $33,000 and less.

My understanding that Canada has higher taxes, but in overall consideration possibly lower related to what one receives, such as some measure of public healthcare.

The last time I checked Canada still operated under the rule of law. However the United States no longer does. It should be lost on no one that the basis of that republic, the U.S. Constitution, has been effectively abrogated by the present government. This has been going on for some time, certainly since 2001, but now no secret at all when all branches of government routinely ignore and flaunt the basis of any legal authority they have. Not to mention publicly proclaiming that they can hunt down, disappear, or outright exterminate anyone they want, American citizens included, on their own authority (without need of trail or judicial oversight).

The United States enjoys a bountiful and beautiful land. It still enjoys many strengths, and retains some promise. Not to mention being founded on the highest principles, if maybe some personal hypocrisy. But it is also a troubled empire in decline, no longer a republic, and still largely in denial. That is not a happy recipe.

The biggest problem Canada may have in future is having such a neighbor, whose influence, wholesome and otherwise, has already infiltrated up north in various ways.
The principal difference is that the US is run by and for the wealthy, be they corporations or individuals. If you don't have wealth, you don't matter in the US anymore.

This seems not to be the case in Canada...so far, though I'm sure Harper and co. will do all they can to change that during their tenure. Let us however hope Canadian voters are too smart to follow their neighbors to the south down the sewer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM
 
3,060 posts, read 7,161,659 times
Reputation: 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Good point, and thanks for the link. However, the average vs. median discussion still applies -- the US is ahead of Canada for every "average" measure but "median" measures usually have them very close to each other.
Your point about median makes sense - I am sure the USA has a much higher millionaire count per capita, which drives up the "average" - median is much more representative of the average household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top