U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,008,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Really? then they should invest in a bit of marketing as i've never heard of it or seen a game scheduled on TSN, Do we have a franchise here in Montreal?
It really just started recently and honestly the budget is just not there yet for wide spread marketing, but I do agree they need to get the word out.

No Franchise in Montreal, but there is one in Quebec City (Quebec Kebs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Should check out a game and report back Jambo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Your right on. There was the original National Basketball League of Canada which defaulted in the 90's; Ontario Professional B-Ball Association which folded in 2004. I also vaguely remember Dr. J trying to start a league in Canada which never got off the ground.

There have been numerous attempts at Pro Soccer Leagues in Canada, that is an even tougher sell than Basketball it seems. I do love how much the MLS has progressed though, so I think the future of Soccer in Canada is directly tied to the MLS success. MLS recently passed the NBA in the US as the 3rd most attended Sport, I am watching closely to see how the Montreal Impact catch on, especially since they have two Jamaicans on the roster that play Internationally for us.
L'Impact have sold more than 50,000 tickets for their home opener tomorrow.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
L'Impact have sold more than 50,000 tickets for their home opener tomorrow.
Wow, incredible! I assume they are playing the home opener in Olympic Stadium then?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Wow, incredible! I assume they are playing the home opener in Olympic Stadium then?
Yes, they will be playing the first few home games of the season there because their home (outdoor) stadium is being expanded but the construction is not yet complete.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
. I do love how much the MLS has progressed though, so I think the future of Soccer in Canada is directly tied to the MLS success.
While I wish the three MLS clubs in Canada success, these are probably the only three we are likely to get. That's a problem with having Canadian clubs in U.S. leagues as a opposed to having a "true" Canadian league. The Canadian league (if one is formed), ends up being rinky-dink and playing second-fiddle to the U.S. league and its handful (sometimes single) Canadian club(s). There is zero chance MLS will come to Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, etc., even though these are fairly large cities that in most any other country would be worthy of clubs in their country's top sports league.

The future of soccer in Canada is likely to be Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in MLS with 20-30,000 fans per game, TV contracts and media attention, and on the other side some other incarnation of a Canadian third-rate league with Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, etc. with zero media attention and 800-1200 people per game.

Anyway, sorry for the rant! Allez l'Impact! all the same!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While I wish the three MLS clubs in Canada success, these are probably the only three we are likely to get. That's a problem with having Canadian clubs in U.S. leagues as a opposed to having a "true" Canadian league. The Canadian league (if one is formed), ends up being rinky-dink and playing second-fiddle to the U.S. league and its handful (sometimes single) Canadian club(s). There is zero chance MLS will come to Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, etc., even though these are fairly large cities that in most any other country would be worthy of clubs in their country's top sports league.

The future of soccer in Canada is likely to be Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in MLS with 20-30,000 fans per game, TV contracts and media attention, and on the other side some other incarnation of a Canadian third-rate league with Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, etc. with zero media attention and 800-1200 people per game.

Anyway, sorry for the rant! Allez l'Impact! all the same!
I agree with you completely. The problem with the lack of a true top flight Domestic league in Canada is that it has a direct effect on developing talent and building a National program. There is a reason why you probably will not see Canada as a competitive Top 5 CONCACAF Nation and it starts with the lack of a domestic league.

It is not a coincidence that the rise in US success Internationally at Soccer coincided with the creation and development of the MLS. Until that point only the NCAA held the burden of developing National team players before they went to play over in Europe. Speaking of Collegiate soccer (or lack of) that is another strike against Canada as well.

Personally I love to see the sold out stadiums at BMO Field and the same for Montreal once they get up and running. I just wish a domestic league that develops top flight talent was offered.

As a side Question (and to attempt to get back on Topic so this doesnt get locked!): In Quebec, after Hockey how would you rank the popularity of Sports in order?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM

212 posts, read 308,655 times
I agree that bball isn't as popular in Canada, well in vancity anyway. The courts that hubby & I go every week are usually pretty packed, but just not enough. My husband has tried to find a league he can play in, but no luck. Anyone know of any here? It's more popular in T.O, which is why we want to go there. It sucks not being able to attend games here, in Vancouver people are more into Hockey.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Here are some players that come to mind when I thought about this question:

Syracuse University Athletics - 2011-12 Men's Basketball Roster

Andrew Nicholson - St. Bonaventure

Chris Johnson - St. Bonaventure

Matthew Wright - St. Bonaventure

Sim Bhullar biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Hernst Laroche biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Daniel Mullings biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Renaldo Dixon biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Tyrone Watson biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Tavaunn Prince Bio - GoJacks.comOfficial Web Site of South Dakota State Athletics

Myck Kabongo Profile - TexasSports.com - Official website of University of Texas Athletics - Texas Longhorns

Randy Dezouvre Bio - ICGaels.com — Official Web site of Iona College Athletics

Bryson Johnson Profile - BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE (team is in NIT Tournament)

Detroit Titans Athletics - 2011-12 Men's Basketball Roster

Laurent Rivard: Harvard Athletics - GoCrimson.com

Robert Sacre Biography - GoZags.com - The Official Website of Gonzaga Bulldog Athletics

Kelly Olynyk Biography - GoZags.com - The Official Website of Gonzaga Bulldog Athletics

Kevin Pangos Bio - GoZags.com - The Official Website of Gonzaga Bulldog Athletics

Junior Cadougan Profile - Marquette University Official Athletic Site

Melvin Ejim - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Davidson College Athletics - 2011-12 Men's Basketball Roster

Maurice Walker Profile - GOPHERSPORTS.COM - The Official Athletic Site of the Minnesota Gophers (NIT Tournament)

Stefan Nastic Profile - Stanford University's Official Athletic Site (NIT)

Dwight Powell Profile - Stanford University's Official Athletic Site (NIT)

Drexel Dragons - 2011-12 Men's Basketball Roster (NIT)

I'll add more, if I come across them.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM

410 posts, read 516,014 times
I think Montreal could definitely support a team. Lots of bball enthusiasts here, and the metro area is closing in on 4million people. I think we'll have to see how Montreal responds to it's first MLS team. There is a myth that this is a one-sport city - that emerged after expos left - on the basis that we're just TOO crazy about hockey. Our CFL team is by no means a pop culture beacon in Montreal, yet they still sell out every game of the season...

Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are some players that come to mind when I thought about this question:

Syracuse University Athletics - 2011-12 Men's Basketball Roster

Andrew Nicholson - St. Bonaventure

Chris Johnson - St. Bonaventure

Matthew Wright - St. Bonaventure

Sim Bhullar biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Hernst Laroche biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Daniel Mullings biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Renaldo Dixon biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Tyrone Watson biography - NMStateSports.com - The Official Website of New Mexico State Athletics

Tavaunn Prince Bio - GoJacks.comOfficial Web Site of South Dakota State Athletics

Myck Kabongo Profile - TexasSports.com - Official website of University of Texas Athletics - Texas Longhorns

Randy Dezouvre Bio - ICGaels.com — Official Web site of Iona College Athletics

Bryson Johnson Profile - BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE (team is in NIT Tournament)

Detroit Titans Athletics - 2011-12 Men's Basketball Roster

Laurent Rivard: Harvard Athletics - GoCrimson.com

Robert Sacre Biography - GoZags.com - The Official Website of Gonzaga Bulldog Athletics

Kelly Olynyk Biography - GoZags.com - The Official Website of Gonzaga Bulldog Athletics

Kevin Pangos Bio - GoZags.com - The Official Website of Gonzaga Bulldog Athletics

Junior Cadougan Profile - Marquette University Official Athletic Site

Melvin Ejim - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Davidson College Athletics - 2011-12 Men's Basketball Roster

Maurice Walker Profile - GOPHERSPORTS.COM - The Official Athletic Site of the Minnesota Gophers (NIT Tournament)

Stefan Nastic Profile - Stanford University's Official Athletic Site (NIT)

Dwight Powell Profile - Stanford University's Official Athletic Site (NIT)

Drexel Dragons - 2011-12 Men's Basketball Roster (NIT)

I'll add more, if I come across them.
Djim Bandoumel Biography - University of Idaho Athletics Official Site — GoVandals.com

Stefan Cvrkalj » Men's Basketball » Lehigh

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-16-2012 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or