U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM

56,775 posts, read 81,126,018 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if Basketball is a continually growing sport in Canada? I ask because while watching the NCAA Basketball Tournament and other college Basketball games recently, I noticed that there were quite a few Canadian players on many of these top teams. Some of these players are top players on these teams as well. Many are from Toronto, but some are from Montreal, BC, Nova Scotia and other places in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,410,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was wondering if Basketball is a continually growing sport in Canada? I ask because while watching the NCAA Basketball Tournament and other college Basketball games recently, I noticed that there were quite a few Canadian players on many of these top teams. Some of these players are top players on these teams as well. Many are from Toronto, but some are from Montreal, BC, Nova Scotia and other places in the country.
Basketball is a mainstream participatory sport in most of Canada, and almost any high school will have a team. Of course, it is nowhere near as popular as it is in the U.S.

Not sure if it is growing or just maintaining itself steadily. It was pretty popular already when I was a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,016,726 times
As Acajack mentioned playing Basketball has always been a popular sport to play. From personal experience after moving to Toronto in the inner city neighborhoods significantly more kids play Basketball than Hockey the National Sport.

I think what you are noticing recently though is the level of success Canadian players are enjoying at the NCAA and NBA level. Up until this point the only Canadian you could call a "Super Star" is Steve Nash.

Now you have guys like Tristan Thompson (Lottery Pick of the Cleveland Cavs), Myck Kabongo (Predicted Top 10 pick if he declares) and Cory Joseph (1st rd selection of the San Antonio Spurs). The interesting part of their development is that all finished their High School playing careers at US Private Prep Schools where they were recruited. All of them also played travelling Summer Ball around the US when they were still in Toronto.

So the level of competition is still not there in Canada when it comes to Basketball at the High School level, but Prep School and College coaches have Canada on their radar now when scouting and have uncovered some excellent players that could turn out to be NBA All Stars.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM

34,455 posts, read 41,569,541 times
I'm surprised Canada hasnt started some form of professional basketball league as the game is very popular..

Old 03-16-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm surprised Canada hasnt started some form of professional basketball league as the game is very popular..
The NBL of Canada started in 2011. Consists of 7 Franchises.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,410,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but this is not the first attempt at having a national professional basketball league in Canada. The other leagues have all failed.

Off topic but I also know there have been attempts at national Canadian pro soccer leagues as well, which also have not met with much success.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM

3,338 posts, read 5,803,928 times
Yes, basketball is popular in Canada. Basketball was played all the time, both in gym class or on the playground outdoors, when I was growing up.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,473,716 times
It's common knowledge Bball was invented by a Canuck.

The popularity of basketball has declined DRASTICALLY here in Oz since the 90s glory days with Jordan etc. Only recently with digital TV have they begun showing NBL games on free to air TV again. This was after a 10 year hiatus. The Raptors are still in the NBA, right? I think the Vancouver Grizzlies are no more.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM

34,455 posts, read 41,569,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Really? then they should invest in a bit of marketing as i've never heard of it or seen a game scheduled on TSN, Do we have a franchise here in Montreal?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but this is not the first attempt at having a national professional basketball league in Canada. The other leagues have all failed.

Off topic but I also know there have been attempts at national Canadian pro soccer leagues as well, which also have not met with much success.
Your right on. There was the original National Basketball League of Canada which defaulted in the 90's; Ontario Professional B-Ball Association which folded in 2004. I also vaguely remember Dr. J trying to start a league in Canada which never got off the ground.

There have been numerous attempts at Pro Soccer Leagues in Canada, that is an even tougher sell than Basketball it seems. I do love how much the MLS has progressed though, so I think the future of Soccer in Canada is directly tied to the MLS success. MLS recently passed the NBA in the US as the 3rd most attended Sport, I am watching closely to see how the Montreal Impact catch on, especially since they have two Jamaicans on the roster that play Internationally for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or