Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,011 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My wife just got accepted to Brock University in St. Catherine's, Ontario and we just got back from visiting. I'm concerned as to what my options are for employment since we have bills to pay while we're there. Apparently since I'm the spouse of a student studying in Canada, I can obtain a work permit, but I will only have a 2 year Associates degree in Business Administration. Can anyone tell me what the best route to take in successfully relocating to Canada under these circumstances? Or similar? I don't need fancy or prestigious job, just something to pay the rent and bills...aka student loans, cell phones, car payment... etc.

Also, how hard would it be for me to find some kind of work in St. Catharine's or the surrounding areas while my wife goes to Brock. I had to sit in line to cross the boarder back into the US the other day and it was a hefty 2 hr wait. I'd prefer not to commute to NY for a job, but who knows? Any help would be great as I don't even know where to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Get the work permit first as you never know what problems may arise in the application process. Jobs?as you are only looking for something temporary i'd start at the university in some form of grounds maintenance or support staff for building maintenance, golf courses are usually looking for workers at this time of year, if you have a Canadian drivers license then truck driving or delivery jobs are usually getable.Many hotels in the Niagara area i'm sure a few of them may need managers. read the news papers in the area (online eh) and see whats generally available in the Niagara/Ste Catherines/Hamilton/Stoney Creek/Burlington areas.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,265,681 times
And see this thread for best job search websites: Canada main job sites

Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,850,406 times
You can also get a NEXUS pass to speed up travel across the border, so Western NY might be an option for a job.

There is more job opportunity closer to Toronto in places like Oakville and Mississauga. Commute would be pretty bad from St. Catharines. One option would be to live in between in a place like Grimsby or Stoney Creek, if you found a job in Mississauga it would be possible to commute there, as long as you have two cars so your wife could also drive to Brock University.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,978,100 times
With the NEXUS card you can use the Whirlpool bridge to cross back/forth.. its never busy.
Crossing is a breeze. Not sure what the commute to Buffalo would be like from St Cats if you chose to look for work in Buffalo.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,011 times
thanks for the information everyone! My employment history includes managing a fast food restaurant for a number of years, a couple years of house frame construction (which i'm a little rusty at), and a couple years working in shipping/receiving. With only an associates degree in business, I just feel slightly intimidated about what kind of work to look for or if Canadian businesses hire americans with work permits like it's no big deal. Thanks for all the advice though. Every little bit helps!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,551,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brackie8287 View Post
thanks for the information everyone! My employment history includes managing a fast food restaurant for a number of years, a couple years of house frame construction (which i'm a little rusty at), and a couple years working in shipping/receiving. With only an associates degree in business, I just feel slightly intimidated about what kind of work to look for or if Canadian businesses hire americans with work permits like it's no big deal. Thanks for all the advice though. Every little bit helps!
I'm sure with the turnover they have and with your experience you will have no problem finding a job in the fast food area.

A heads up for you, the rainbow bridge in Niagara Falls is almost always wide open. I cross over on it all the time and usually there is no lineup at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada