U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 AM

15 posts, read 39,195 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Tampa, Florida, but I am applying to a graduate program at UPEI which would start next year. UPEI is my top choice because my career field is one of their specialty degrees. I really hope I'll end up there, and I'd love to find out more information about the area.

The perception I get from reading online about Charlottetown is that it's a nice little town with friendly people and very cold weather. That's about all I can find. Can anyone offer insight into life on the island? Are the people really as friendly as they're made out to be? Is the cost of living average, or more expensive due to being on an island? Is there a strong hurricane threat? And how bad are the winters really?

Also, I've been looking at rental possibilities online. It seems that the majority of locations are not pet-friendly, which is rather discouraging because I have two pet dogs. Is the city in general pet friendly? I'm not talking about taking my dogs into shops or anything. I just want to feel that they're not a nuisance to others within the community.

I'd appreciate any insight or tips that anyone might have. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,043 times
Hi!

The last real hurricane threat was in 2003 during Hurricane Juan. Other than that, we have four wonderful seasons.. something a lot of places don't see anymore.

We are a friendly bunch, although sometimes it can be difficult to make friends with Islanders. I would suggest making friends with your classmates and going from there. Actually there is even an organization for "people from away" or "Islanders by Choice". They meet every so often.

While we are a quiet city, there's still things to do. Not everything costs money and you can save on groceries (even though more expensive) if you read the weekly flyers faithfully.

And if you need a place to stay while searching for an apartment, the Econolodge is only a 3 minute drive to UPEI.

Hope that helps!

Georgina

Last edited by sunshineleith; 03-20-2012 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: commercial links not permitted

Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM

15 posts, read 39,195 times
Georgina, this information was a great help, thanks! I'm pretty diligent with living frugally, so it's nice to know that's still possible in a small island town with slightly increased cost of living.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,156,299 times
Florida I think it would be an incredible experience for you - and certainly vastly different from life in Tampa!

Even if you live in Charlottetown, it will feel like rural living - so be prepared for that - I would say embrace it as that is the most positive approach, and as you will be studying, it is a perfect place to focus and not be distracted by exciting nightlife or a frantic cosmopolitan lifestyle! Charlottetown is as dead as a doornail in the winter. In the summer it is much more vibrant and there are lots of tourists about, outdoor cafes, festivals, concerts, lobster suppers* and if you golf, some excellent golf courses. The western end of the island even has a bit of a French feel to it with the Acadian population - great little places to explore. It is a beautiful little island. If you get shopping fever or want to enjoy a winter weekend somewhere a bit more lively, you can always cross the bridge and drive to Moncton or Halifax.

Weather wise, anywhere in Canada will be much colder than Tampa - but I always found PEI milder in winter than the rest of the east (with the exception of Halifax).

The upsides? Charlottetown is quaint and a pretty little town. PEI is just gorgeous everywhere. Green rolling hills, glorious red earth, beautiful beaches, the best lobster you have ever tasted.

As an outsider (a New Brunswicker) I always found the PEIers (or potato heads as we affectionately call them!) very friendly. I know nothing about their attitude towards dogs, but a LOT of places in Canada where rentals are tight say no dogs, especially in apartments. You may have better luck if you rent a house or half a duplex. In Canada kijiji is your friend - so check out http://pei.kijiji.ca/f-real-estate-a...cationZ1700119 Here is the link filtered for "pet friendly" http://pei.kijiji.ca/f-real-estate-a...cationZ1700119

*these are geared more for tourists - Maritimers will regularly buy a case of beer and a big whack of lobsters (- either from the shops or down at the wharf if you want to cook them yourself) grab a hammer and some pliers and "go to town"

Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,156,299 times
Also to give you an idea of grocery prices - you can see the weekly flyers online.

Sobeys - Choose-Store - major grocery store

Atlantic Superstore - Select a store - major grocery store

Bulk Barn – Canada's largest bulk food retailer - good for dried goods - grains, cereals, baking supplies, candy, snacks, nuts, spices, etc.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,484,166 times
The cost of living on PEI isn't really too effected by it being an island as there's a toll bridge from PEI to the mainland. As far as I can tell New Brunswick and PEI prices are similar. The cost of living in the Maritimes is medium by Canadian standards, except for housing which is cheaper.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 6,483,774 times
I used to spend a LOT of time in Charlottetown and would move there in a NY minute!!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 PM

4,054 posts, read 9,102,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I used to spend a LOT of time in Charlottetown and would move there in a NY minute!!
Can you share with us why? I'd love to know more!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM

230 posts, read 434,417 times
I also would love to relocate my family to PEI but job opportunities seem to be few and far between. However I've also heard it said that most everyone there owns even making just $20 an hour. Does anyone know if there's some truth to this?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM

4,054 posts, read 9,102,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
I also would love to relocate my family to PEI but job opportunities seem to be few and far between. However I've also heard it said that most everyone there owns even making just $20 an hour. Does anyone know if there's some truth to this?
I am lucky, I have created my own buisness and I can do it anywhere so living in a low cost of living place makes sense for me, especially if it's nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada