U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,138,090 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on living in Welland? Do people in Welland tend to spend a lot of time and gas driving to St. Catharines or Niagara Falls to do shopping and eat out? The town seems to have some really beautiful and affordable homes, especially in the historic core. The retail and dining seems somewhat lacking though (especially dining). When I visited the area, I went to Seaway Mall and found it halfway decent and the people looked and acted the same as elsewhere in Niagara. I know the economy was hit pretty hard by the John Deere closure. However, I hear they will be twinning 406 all the way to Welland, and the Mid-Peninsula highway will eventually go through Welland so the town may have a bright future on the main route between the GTA and the U.S., whereas now it is a little out of the way.

How are the schools in Welland? I assume all the high schools in the District School Board of Niagara will be equivalent. Is there much traffic getting out of Welland in the mornings to head north towards St. Catharines?

Any thoughts from Niagara locals would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,559,913 times
If I were moving to Niagara from elsewhere, Welland and Pt. Colborne would be my last choices of where to live in the pennisula. You mention John Deere closing. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Welland has lost so many industries over the last dozen years or so that I don't know how it even survives. I suspect that most people drive out of town to go to work.

My wife and I had lived in St. Catherines for a long time, it's actually her home town. We moved away for a few years and we did not find anywhere as nice as Niagara so we moved back. We could have chosen anywhere in Niagara to live and we looked at a lot of houses in St. Kitts. We just could not find what we were looking for so we started looking in Niagara Falls. We found just what we wanted here and it was about 25% less than the same house would be in St. Catherines. We have been here for 16 months and we just LOVE living in Niagara falls. I have lived in a lot of places in Southern Ontario in my life and I think NF is the best place yet. It has everything you could ever want. It has great shopping, fantastic places to eat, world class parks, lots of cultural activities, concerts, festivals and things of that nature. It has lots of good schools, a great YMCAand like I said, it has it all. I'm actually closer to the biggest mall in Niagara, the penn center than I was when I lived in St. Catherines. 8km vs 12km. It's way faster and closer to St. Kitts from NF than from Welland if you are going to be working in St. Kitts. My daughter lives at Vine and Carlton in St. Kitts and it takes me 12 minutes to get to her house. Because NF is bisected by the QEW and the 410 you are never more than a couple of minutes from a freeway.
Another bonus about living in NF is how close and easy it is to the USA. I have gone over fueled up my car and come home in 30 minutes. There is almost never a wait on the Rainbow bridge.
The older historic downtown of Niagara Falls is just SO much nicer than Welland. The houses are also very inexpensive from a southern On. standpoint. My wife would actually like to buy one down there because she likes the bigger lots than we have here in a newer subdivision. She was showing me one she liked the other day. Big, brick Victorian that was mostly upgraded, lot of 60 by 150 and the price was $160,000. You can't beat that.

I advise you to avoid Welland, especially the downtown areas as they have always tended to have a lot of undesirable elements there.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,138,090 times
Lucknow, I get the impression you haven't spent much time in Welland, or you have only really been around the downtown or southend. I did check out Welland quite extensively on a recent visit, and the northern part of town is quite beautiful, safe, clean, and very nice. The subdivisions, especially on the northwest end of the city, are very nice with mature trees and nicely maintained houses. The historic homes around Chippawa Park are beautiful too. They have an nice, large YMCA right next to Niagara College. The high school, Centennial, is well regarded and has respectable test scores, not quite as high as Myer or Westlane but the difference is minor. Stamford Collegiate in Niagara Falls has much worse test scores, as in about 40% of their students failed the provincial standardized exams. I suspect it's about the same at Eastdale on the poorer side of Welland. The old canal and the bridges give the city some very nice scenery. The other plus we found was the lack of gigantic overhead hydro lines that run throughout Niagara Falls. Seems every nice house we found in the Falls at a good price, was located near hydro lines. We are still leaning more toward the falls for easier access to the QEW, but I just wanted to point out that North Welland is quite a nice community with good schools and great neighbourhoods.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,232 times
Lucknow, although I enjoyed your comments on St. Catharine's and how long you've lived there, I find it interesting that you consistently misspelled it. How can you reside somewhere so long and not know the correct spelling?
Also, yes there are bad areas of Welland but as Tarp said there are many lovely areas. I live in the North end near Pelham Road and it's very pretty. St. Catharine's isn't exempt from bad neighborhoods, just look at Bunting and Welland, Hartzel Road, and area near there? All towns have their good and bad.

Last edited by Rebecca1960; 03-29-2014 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 02:11 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,559,913 times
It could have been the middle of the night while I wrote that post. I don't know. Usually I'm a good speller especially words I have written thousands of times like "St. Catharine's". I'll stick to my comments about Welland. Your area of town is OK but It's more an extension of Fonthill than Welland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or