U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 PM

353 posts, read 803,361 times

Advertisements

Just wondering which English version Canadians choose if "English (Canadian)" isn't an option.

I suppose the most common choices would be "English (US)" and "English (UK)".
I would imagine most Canadians would default to English US?
Or do some choose English UK or another English version?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 05:27 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
Just wondering which English version Canadians choose if "English (Canadian)" isn't an option.

I suppose the most common choices would be "English (US)" and "English (UK)".
Or do some choose English UK or another English version?

I always use English UK if Canadian English is not available. I do not want favourite, colour, centre, travelled, etc. "corrected".

I find Canadian English spellings are much closer to UK than US spellings, with a few exceptions. The automatic defaulting to English US annoys me to no end, but I am admittedly a bit of a spelling nazi.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 AM

5,690 posts, read 6,532,688 times
I default to English UK. It's closer to Canadian English.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,022 times
I default to US English only because the British spelling of aluminum annoys the hell out of me.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 AM

7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
I imagine many Canadians would default to British English because that is mainly what we were taught in Proper English courses in Canadian schools so that's what most of us are used to.

If you're interested in learning more about Canadian English the Canadian government published a book called "The Canadian Style: A Guide to Writing and Editing". It's an English language guide for editors, copywriters, students, teachers, lawyers, journalists, secretaries, business people and anyone else writing in the English language in Canada today. It provides concise, up-to-date answers to a host of questions on abbreviations, hyphenation, spelling, the use of capital letters, punctuation and frequently misused or confused words. It deals with letter, memo and report formats, notes, indexes and bibliographies, and geographical names. It also gives techniques for writing clearly and concisely, editing documents and avoiding stereotyping or biased language in communications. There is also an appendix on how to present French words in an English text.

The Canadian Style: A Guide to Writing and Editing: S2-158/1996E - Government of Canada Publications

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
It has been quite a while since I have seen a computer that did not offer the Canadian English language option. That said, I would probably pick English UK if I had to, although I spell my ''izes'' with z, except for analyse.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:56 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It has been quite a while since I have seen a computer that did not offer the Canadian English language option. That said, I would probably pick English UK if I had to, although I spell my ''izes'' with z, except for analyse.
Most quality software does have a Canadian English option - however when you're a stickler for spelling like I am, you notice its absence. Facebook, for example, has seen fit to offer an Upside Down and Pirate option - but no Canadian English

Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM

5,690 posts, read 6,532,688 times
What is "pirate" and "upside down" English? "Shiver me timbers" and Aussie English? I'm not a Facebook user.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 PM

179 posts, read 662,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What is "pirate" and "upside down" English? "Shiver me timbers" and Aussie English? I'm not a Facebook user.
Pirate English:

Upside down English (literally!):

Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Most quality software does have a Canadian English option - however when you're a stickler for spelling like I am, you notice its absence. Facebook, for example, has seen fit to offer an Upside Down and Pirate option - but no Canadian English
I get it. I use mostly French for stuff like Facebook, so I never noticed the absence of Canadian English there. Maybe I am not noticing it elsewhere as well.

Interestingly enough, Facebook has options for Canadian French and France French (which, despite differences in speech, are spelled virtually identically when you write them), but not Canadian English, which is actually a pretty unique hybrid of US and UK spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada