U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 PM

482 posts, read 2,160,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcCoy View Post
Wow, the CIC site is a bit confusing. Immigration laws have certainly had their round of changes over the years. According to what I read, my wife should be considered a Canadian citizen merely because she was born to a Canadian citizen outside of Canada. However, she must still live in Canada for three years to apply for it? By the time I got done reading, I was totally confused. I tried to call them but it had a weird type busy signal always. Will keep plugging... Thanks again.
Tim, do yourself a favour (get used to the "u") and hire a lawyer... The big border towns have a wide selection of immigration lawyers and US/Canada accountants.

It will make your lives soooo much easier and reduce errors in paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,167,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Tim, do yourself a favour (get used to the "u") and hire a lawyer... The big border towns have a wide selection of immigration lawyers and US/Canada accountants.

It will make your lives soooo much easier and reduce errors in paperwork.
Best advice so far - either Canadian Immigration (if you can get a hold of them!) or a proper immigration lawyer will be able to advise you so much more accurately than us - as charming as we are

Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM

364 posts, read 1,011,048 times
Quote:
We want to move to Canada because the people are friendly, more tolerant and just plain nicer folks. We think it is a much better society overall, in all ways.
This answers my question, Tim. So your reason for wanting to move is the "grass is greener" belief.

I am a Canadian living in the US and I have met just as many wonderful, kind, friendly people here as I did in our last city in Ontario. My parents are "snow birds" now who live in Canada but go to Florida in the winter and they now have many wonderful, close friends that they have met from the US.

There are probably just as many people who are miserable in Canada as there are in the US and if you are unhappy here then chances are you will be there as well.

If you are paying Canadian high taxes, which partially go into paying for universal health care, then I can't see you continuing to pay out-of-pocket to go to the US for healthcare, not to mention you will probably need a local doctor and emergency healthcare services, and as you are getting older these things will become harder to travel to get.

Lots of people retire to a new country, though, so if that is what you have your heart set on then I am sure you will find a way to make it happen.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,167,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
...There are probably just as many people who are miserable in Canada as there are in the US....
Well, not according to surveys:

Canadians are 2nd happiest in world: survey - Canada - CBC News

Global 'happiness index' ranks Canada 23rd - Canada - CBC News

Tim doesn't state happiness as his goal anyways (and fwiw I agree with the general gist of your post Luhts, happy people tend to be happy regardless of where they are).

Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 PM

482 posts, read 2,160,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
This answers my question, Tim. So your reason for wanting to move is the "grass is greener" belief.

I am a Canadian living in the US and I have met just as many wonderful, kind, friendly people here as I did in our last city in Ontario. My parents are "snow birds" now who live in Canada but go to Florida in the winter and they now have many wonderful, close friends that they have met from the US.

There are probably just as many people who are miserable in Canada as there are in the US and if you are unhappy here then chances are you will be there as well.

If you are paying Canadian high taxes, which partially go into paying for universal health care, then I can't see you continuing to pay out-of-pocket to go to the US for healthcare, not to mention you will probably need a local doctor and emergency healthcare services, and as you are getting older these things will become harder to travel to get.

Lots of people retire to a new country, though, so if that is what you have your heart set on then I am sure you will find a way to make it happen.
Right, but remember that Tim will be retired so he won't be paying the hefty Ontario income taxes either...

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,583,738 times
Hi there Tim. I hope things are progressing well for you. It seems I'm always pushing Niagara as a great place to live but I can't help it. It is. For access to NY state you can't get any better. If I were to leave my house right now for Niagara Falls NY I would be there in 8 minutes, LOL there is never anyone on the bridge at this time of night. RE prices are very reasonable here in Niagara Falls and the entire pennisula, total popualtion of around 500,000. I've seen some nice houses in the older parts of NF for 160k and less for a fixer upper. I don't know about the demand for social workers but Niagara is a very socially progressive region to be sure. It would be a good time to look into te mental health and addictions field here as theyare just building a huge new hospital in St. Catherines and should be starting to staff it right about now. It opens in 2013. For your friend there is Brock university and Niagara college. They both have good reputations. My one son who is a medical Dr. got his BSc. at Brock and my wife got a diploma as a engineering Technologist at Niagara college. The geography of the area is great. You have the Escartment which is the main geological feature of note in Southern On. you have both Lake Ontario and Erie and the Niagara river. I have lived all over Southern On. in my days and there is nowhere I like as much. I'm pretty familiar with the different border towns and in my opinion there is nothing that can even touch Niagara. I really like the Kingston area also but it has some drawbacks. It has a much smaller population and so therefore a smaller array of services. It's close to the border but it's wilderness NY you are crossing into. It has a much more severe winter than we get here. It does have Queens university though which if we had such a thing would be considered an Ivy league school for sure. It's along way from any major city but it's a reasonable distance from Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal. No more than 4 hours to any of them. Well, best of luck to you and if you have any specific questions about Niagara EMail me.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM

658 posts, read 678,786 times
Quote:
Thank you all. I will check the site for Canadian Citizen born abroad. We all have health insurance for the remainder of our lives. We were even thinking we could live near the NY border and just get our health care in NY. We wouldn't be using the social welfare system as we will all have Social Security and other pensions. So we would only be adding to Canada's economy in that way. I am so thankful for your responses though and am about to check them out. ~~Tim
I was thinking the same way you are. My wife is a Kiwi, and we wanted to move to New Brunswick. We are in our late 50's, I hold a PhD in psychology, she is a MSW. We have savings, and health insurance for life as I retired from government and am a Veteran. The attorney I consulted with in Moncton New Brunswick basically said we were too old unless we had a half million? dollars to invest in a business we would not make good Canadians due to our age and health, I also draw a VA pension and have a huge monthly income as well. She told us regardless of pensions, health insurance, any one who moves to New Brunswick is a potential health risk thus a burden on the provincial healthcare plan. So we are doing the next best thing, moving to Maine! Maybe in my next lifetime? Good luck, you may have a foothold with your wife's heritage. I could move to New Zealand, but many factors (grand kids amongst them) prohibit us from doing it. We really love Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or