U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 AM

8 posts, read 10,728 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am 61, wife is 54 and very close friend is 49. We all want to move to Canada. We don't have a lot of money so Toronto is out. We like Ontario and wouldn't mind being close to New York if we need to return for health care in some instances. My wife is a Social Worker and Supervisor and is on the list of professions. Our friend would attend college in Canada and end up working and getting citizenship that way. I would work also. I am an addictions and mental health counselor. I am very worried that our health issues and age will prevent us from becoming citizens. I am looking to meet people from Canada, would be nice if possible on this forum. There is one thing that may help. My wife's mother was born in Halifax but raised in the US from the time she was in infant. She is deceased but we have her birth certificate from Canada. So she was a canadian citizen when she had my wife. My wife was born in New York however. Do you think that would help us? Any advice or discussion would be greatly appreciated? Also perhaps an immigration lawyer is what we need? Who would we trust? Thanks, Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 AM

903 posts, read 2,239,885 times
Canada's system is setup so you should not need a lawyer.
Their web site has all the information and their phone lines have people who will clear up any questions.
Immigrating to Canada
Don't think the deceased mother's status will help as the Sponsor a Family program is meant for a live person to be the sponsor.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:36 AM

7,211 posts, read 6,567,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcCoy View Post
Hi,
I am 61, wife is 54 and very close friend is 49. We all want to move to Canada. We don't have a lot of money ....... I am very worried that our health issues and age will prevent us from becoming citizens. ...... Also perhaps an immigration lawyer is what we need? Who would we trust?
Your concerns are valid. At your ages now, if you don't have a lot of money and you all have health issues now that could potentially put a lot of strain on the Canadian universal healthcare or social benefits systems in the near future that might very well be a disqualification for citizenship. So it's probably advisable to consult with someone knowledgeable about that. This government site has some information about finding legitimate representatives to counsel you. Protect yourself (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/protection/index.asp - broken link)

Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,156,299 times
I believe your wife may already have a right to Canadian citizenship (she is technically a "Canadian born abroad" - see this page for more information Proof of citizenship (citizenship card)

and here:

For persons born outside Canada to a Canadian parent after 1 January 1947

Canadian Consulate General, Boston
Three Copley Place, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
Telephone: (617) 247-5100
Fax: (617) 247-5190
Email: bostn@international.gc.ca

Last edited by sunshineleith; 03-28-2012 at 03:33 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 12:58 PM

Thank you all. I will check the site for Canadian Citizen born abroad. We all have health insurance for the remainder of our lives. We were even thinking we could live near the NY border and just get our health care in NY. We wouldn't be using the social welfare system as we will all have Social Security and other pensions. So we would only be adding to Canada's economy in that way. I am so thankful for your responses though and am about to check them out. ~~Tim

Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Wow, the CIC site is a bit confusing. Immigration laws have certainly had their round of changes over the years. According to what I read, my wife should be considered a Canadian citizen merely because she was born to a Canadian citizen outside of Canada. However, she must still live in Canada for three years to apply for it? By the time I got done reading, I was totally confused. I tried to call them but it had a weird type busy signal always. Will keep plugging... Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,455,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcCoy View Post
Wow, the CIC site is a bit confusing. Immigration laws have certainly had their round of changes over the years. According to what I read, my wife should be considered a Canadian citizen merely because she was born to a Canadian citizen outside of Canada. However, she must still live in Canada for three years to apply for it? By the time I got done reading, I was totally confused. I tried to call them but it had a weird type busy signal always. Will keep plugging... Thanks again.
No she can apply for her citizenship card while living in NY. Friends of mine are applying from the states.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 PM

Minibrings,
Would any of your friends care to befriend someone like us who are attempting to do this?
I tried calling CIC today with no luck but will try again tomorrow.
My best,
Tim

Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM

364 posts, read 1,009,163 times
If you are planning on using US healthcare, why exactly are you set on moving to Canada? Do you think your chances for employment will be better here?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Luhts, We do not want to move to Canada because of job or health care opportunities. We are about old enough to retire and have good pensions. We have health insurance for a minimal fee for the rest of our lives. We want to move to Canada because the people are friendly, more tolerant and just plain nicer folks. We think it is a much better society overall, in all ways. We would like to spend our last days with people like that. We hope to bring something to Canada, not take something from Canada. I'm not sure that answers it and if you would like to know more, I would be happy to add more. Thanks, Tim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or