U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,042 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 26 year old America and I am very interested in moving to Canada. I have a girl friend up in Edson, AB. I visited them in February and I desperately want to start my life with them. My problem is that I will need employment while I am there. I don't have very much money so I cant immigrate through the skilled worker program because I don't have the 10 grand plus my skills are not currently needed. I am a certified teacher.
I don't think marriage will work either because she owes the Canadian government money and I think her sponsorship even if married will be rejected.
My last option is the Alberta Nominee program and it sounds like my best option but I am having a hell of a time finding a job offer near her house in Edson. I am willing to do any work.
While browsing the CIC website I found out that in some cases it maybe possible for me to enter the country as a visitor, apply for a workers permit and then go about finding work. Has anyone ever heard of that working?
I have also heard I could move there as a visitor, look for a job, then go back to the border and apply for a workers permit there with the new job offer and I could start work even faster. My question is if anyone has ever heard of this working or am I just not reading things right?
If I am wrong, can anyone link me or help me out on the best ways to land a job in Canada? I'm running out of time and the whole process is extremely confusing. Thank you in advance.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,163,348 times
What's holding her in Edson? In other words, if you are willing to move countries to be with her, is there the option of her moving towns to be with you where you find work?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 AM

34,399 posts, read 41,509,339 times
If you want job your logical option would be to move to Edmonton or Calgary, the immigration could be a tough nut to crack as you dont really qualify.If i were you i'd secure a job in the USA with a Canadian Company that has a branch office in the USA then in a few years when you are established with the company you get them to transfer you to the Canadian operation with sponsorship for the immigration.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM

I will work any job and from what i read in news articles, the rural towns like Edson can't fill positions for fast food and lodging jobs quick enough and employers are begging for foreign aid. I have applied for many many jobs this week and I am not really hearing things back yet. She owns a house in Edson and it is where her family is too so she wants to stay put.

Is this process really going to take years? Is there no simple way? I mean, I have accommodations when i move, I want to work to support myself, I have no criminal record, I'm healthy, and have an outstanding credit score.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM

179 posts, read 662,761 times
What do you mean by "she owes money to the government?"

She can sponsor you as long as she's not receiving social assistance or is under declared bankruptcy.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg4469 View Post
I will work any job and from what i read in news articles, the rural towns like Edson can't fill positions for fast food and lodging jobs quick enough and employers are begging for foreign aid. I have applied for many many jobs this week and I am not really hearing things back yet. She owns a house in Edson and it is where her family is too so she wants to stay put.

Is this process really going to take years? Is there no simple way? I mean, I have accommodations when i move, I want to work to support myself, I have no criminal record, I'm healthy, and have an outstanding credit score.
I feel for ya but emigrating to another country isnt easy is fraught with bureaucratic hurdles and can end up being impossible to achieve..be prepared for that possibility. You might look into how marrying the Canadian might make things easier,i'm not getting how her owing the government money has any bearing on the ,matter.
Any chance of getting a job with a school in Edson and getting them to sponsor you?..
PS if you dont even have a work permit how would/could you start a job if you were offered one?,

Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 PM

My understanding is I can only apply for a work permit once I have a job offer from within America still. Her debt to the government is through taxes. I'm not saying it would be a problem but I fear it might be. I am not sure. I'd hate to get married, wait 6 months to get approved for PR status and then be denied and have no way of living together as a family.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 AM

Is she willing to move to the USA if your immigration situation cant be resolved ?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,143,352 times
From the way you are speaking, it sounds like the relationship is way too premature to be talking about things like marriage. Forgive me if I am mistaken about this, but you seem to be jumping the gun a little.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Is it possible for her family to sponsor you?
At this point it sure looks like a one way street as you have jump through all the hoops to make it happen while she insists in staying in Edson..
Also as you have no work documents at the moment you are considered an alien,its illegal in Canada to hire undocumented illegal aliens,so until you get the right working visa looking for a job at this point is just a lesson in futility..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada