U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 AM

62 posts, read 309,704 times

Advertisements

I left Canada 2 years ago.

Recently a friend of mine received a collections letter for $190 from GLobal credit and collections in my name.

I called them up. I had transferred my fido number to another name. They never transferred it and now have $190 outstanding in my name. They transferred this debt to Global Credit and collections. I have paid all the bills till the date I left Canada.

The guy from Global threatened that they will ruin my credit in Canada for life and I cannot start good until I pay. After a while he agreed to $90 for settlement and I asked for a confirmation letter proving they are settling for $90.

I've not received the confirmation letter to date even after asking for it thrice. The letter states creditor as Rogers Communications.

I have three questions here.

1. Can Fido (Rogers Communications) push their weight around like this? It's their fault since they confirmed the ownership transfer first and then when the outstanding balance came up, they put it in my name.

2. Can Global Credit really hit my credit every year for life?

3. I am willing to pay $90 but the guy never sent me the confirmation letter even though I called up thrice. Can they even hit my credit or do they just take up old outstanding accounts in bulk from companies and try to force money out of people?

Please help so I can sleep at nights without worrying about this. I would pay if I get confirmation but I've yet to receive confirmation from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM

391 posts, read 588,173 times
My first approach on this would be...

Contact Fido directly and explain that you no longer reside in Canada
but want to settle up any amount owing to them. I assume you did
have cellular service with them in Canada? Also don't mention the
collection agency at all when speaking with them.

Fido may not deal with you directly, but you can cross that bridge
when you get there.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,136,825 times
1. While Rogers/Fido does have a special department to "push their weight around like this" (they are called "account receivables" and play the role of a bad cop, while the customer reps service play the role of a good cop. In fact, both are the same regular folks hired off the street, the first group is just trained in toughness) -- it's not Rogers who called you: Rogers has already wrote off or sold your account to a third party, called Global Credit. Rogers may have sold your account for $45, and now Global Credit tries to make their own small profit off of you.

2. No. Your account is listed "in collection" for 7 years on your credit report, then erased.

3. First, you can call Rogers/Fido directly to ascertain the exact amount they have on their books. Sometimes the 3rd parties pad the amount. You could ask Rogers/Fido if you could pay them directly to skip the third parties (sometimes it's possible, sometimes they say they wrote you off already).

The collectors strike me as tough racket: they have to threaten people to survive, but they rarely follow their own threats. They are reluctant to leave any written traces like the letter you are expecting, in case of your going to sue them.

They DON'T HIT your credit: Rogers/Fido already did, and the third party just follows in the wake of a possibly easy prey. Stop worrying about their calls. If you pay them, the record on your credit most likely will still be hanging around for 7 years. Your best bet is to call Rogers, they will be able to find even a closed account. If they agree to settle your debt, pursue this and THEIR confimation that they would erase the record on your credit report. If they say your account is passed on, pursue to the upper management, explaining the story: how you tried to transfer an account, but it was never done properly (Rogers' fault). Keep pressing no matter how many times the front-line representatives "drop" your call, fail to transfer to the Office of the President, etc. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 PM

so irrespective of the fact that I pay in full/half or not at all, the record stays for 7 years and then erased?

Again, as you said it was Roger's communications who hit my credit. Does the same 7 year timeline apply? If in any circumstance I come back after paying the money in part as offered by Global credit, will they run after me again for the same? Can they pursue the same case?

I assume as per your opinion, it is best to communicate with Rogers Communications and if they have passed on the account, I should forget about it, otherwise I should press it as long as possible to get them to erase 'in collection' from my credit report.

PS: Does in collection affect my credit report if all my other payments have been in full and timely? This is the first ever incident I've faced so pardon my ignorance.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,136,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz05 View Post
so irrespective of the fact that I pay in full/half or not at all, the record stays for 7 years and then erased?
Depends. The originator of the judgement can erase the record upon mutual settlement. Payment to the third party may or may not result in the erasure, depending on how the originator and the third party have set up their agreement, and how thorough the third party is. If they are not thorough or ethical enough, they will take your money and forget about your credit record.

Quote:
Again, as you said it was Roger's communications who hit my credit.
Yes.

Quote:
Does the same 7 year timeline apply?
Yes if you don't settle it directly with Rogers.

Quote:
If in any circumstance I come back after paying the money in part as offered by Global credit, will they run after me again for the same? Can they pursue the same case?
Most likely they won't this being Canada. But to say for certain is hard as collections is a shady business.

Quote:
I assume as per your opinion, it is best to communicate with Rogers Communications
Yes.

Quote:
and if they have passed on the account, I should forget about it,
You will have 2 choices: forget about it and wait the 7 years out, or press Rogers on the basis of their own mistake that resulted in an injury to you.

Quote:
otherwise I should press it as long as possible to get them to erase 'in collection' from my credit report.
Yes.

Quote:
PS: Does in collection affect my credit report if all my other payments have been in full and timely? This is the first ever incident I've faced so pardon my ignorance.
Yes it does. You can get your own free credit report by applying by snail mail (or online for a fee from TransUnion or Equifax) . You will get your credit score and an explanation if online.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,024 times
The other thing to remember is that a $190 debt from Rogers is pretty insignificant if the rest of your credit is fine. Once you have the debt paid, wait a while and then get your credit reports from Equifax and the other one (not sure what it is but google - "credit bureaus Canada") and see what is on it.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM

8,576 posts, read 11,065,012 times
The hit has already been done to your credit. Call Rogers, find the details. If you have proof that you asked them to move the line and they didn't (in writing) you can have the whole thing struck from your record.

Otherwise, pay it off. The debt can and will cycle forever. After two years, it is legally uncollectable, UNLESS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE DEBT. If you say ya, that's mine, or offer to work something out, the two year clock starts again. Basically by offering to work with them you've re-started that clock.

On the plus side if you've left Canada for the States, the US won't look at your Canadian credit for anything. They don't use it at all.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:57 PM

167 posts, read 716,545 times
Yes, the damage may have already been done. Collection agencies are generally not that easy to deal with, but see if you can speak to a manager or supervisor. Even if you feel you are 100% in the right, it might be just easier to pay them off and be done with it. But see if you can leverage it a bit - tell them you believe this is in error, but want to preserve your good credit. Ask them if you pay them the full amount if they will remove (or not report) this to your credit profiles. Of course, get this in writing. They might just do it.

Or, if Rogers/Fido will admit to their mistake, if they indeed made one, they should be able to override this. If they don't take it off your credit report, showing proof to Equifax Canada and TransUnion Canada will usually get inaccuracies removed.

And I believe mikeyyc is right - it can keep being recycled into perpetuity if you acknowledge the debt. I've had an old debt resurface and spend a bit more time on my credit report. Worst case, pay them what they want, even if it's wrong (considering it's a relatively small amount of money) and have the peace of mind knowing that you're in the clear. If you're away from Canada for a few years, it will start moving down the line in your credit report anyways, until it eventually falls off completely. You never know when you might need your Canadian credit report again.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 PM

I havent received the fax from Global Credit yet.

How smart would it be to just not pay it since even they do not seem to be interested in collections?

Not that I don't want to pay, I just wanted a confirmation from their end. Even after promising the guy never sent anything to me till date.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 PM

8,576 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Quote:
I havent received the fax from Global Credit yet.

How smart would it be to just not pay it since even they do not seem to be interested in collections?

Not that I don't want to pay, I just wanted a confirmation from their end. Even after promising the guy never sent anything to me till date.
Ignore it. You've already taken the hit to your score. Something about sleeping dogs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or