U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 PM

179 posts, read 662,308 times

Advertisements

So you move to Canada expecting something totally different and unique, you get it and you complain? I don't get it.

Yes Toronto is different, also understand it's the biggest city in Canada. That's like me going to NYC and complaining that all Americans are *******s because I was treated like crap. People are different yes, but when in Rome, do as the Romans; find out how to go about making new friends, and start changing your attitude. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, if you're always complaining about a place and you have a negative attitude then guess what? Your life is still gonna suck no matter where you move.

I've been to Toronto many times, and I found a lot of rude people, but I also found some great people and I have established genuine friendships with Torontonians. I wouldn't want to live in Toronto (I prefer Montreal) but I can definitely see its appeal and it's a vibrant and exciting place.

Make the most out of your visit and I'm sure that you'll change your mind in a bit, you're just experiencing a bit of a culture shock, There are certain phases to it, first when you move everything is awesome because it's all new, then after a while you start feeling homesick and emphasize all the negatives from the new place (this is where you are right now) and soon after things start looking brighter after you get used to the new place.

Give Toronto an opportunity, and don't paint all Canadians with the same brush just because of the few experiences you've had. I'm sure most Canadians would be upset if you judged and compared them to Torontonians (I'm kidding Toronto, we love you )

Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM

5,688 posts, read 6,531,390 times
I would like to add one thing about Toronto - my sister did her Master's at Ryerson not that many years ago and her first year was a very lonely one. There were many 3 am phone calls from her to me and I encouraged her to stick it out. After that first year, she found her place and friends that continue to be her friends to this day.

I'm saying that your experience isn't necessarily related to the people but to a new situation, something that is often hard for people.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 PM

5,688 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
So you move to Canada expecting something totally different and unique, you get it and you complain? I don't get it.

Yes Toronto is different, also understand it's the biggest city in Canada. That's like me going to NYC and complaining that all Americans are *******s because I was treated like crap. People are different yes, but when in Rome, do as the Romans; find out how to go about making new friends, and start changing your attitude. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, if you're always complaining about a place and you have a negative attitude then guess what? Your life is still gonna suck no matter where you move.

I've been to Toronto many times, and I found a lot of rude people, but I also found some great people and I have established genuine friendships with Torontonians. I wouldn't want to live in Toronto (I prefer Montreal) but I can definitely see its appeal and it's a vibrant and exciting place.

Make the most out of your visit and I'm sure that you'll change your mind in a bit, you're just experiencing a bit of a culture shock, There are certain phases to it, first when you move everything is awesome because it's all new, then after a while you start feeling homesick and emphasize all the negatives from the new place (this is where you are right now) and soon after things start looking brighter after you get used to the new place.

Give Toronto an opportunity, and don't paint all Canadians with the same brush just because of the few experiences you've had. I'm sure most Canadians would be upset if you judged and compared them to Torontonians (I'm kidding Toronto, we love you )
No, we really don't, actually

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,455,420 times
I'd be careful to make blanket statements on an ENTIRE country based on your experience in one city.
This you should have learned before moving to Tdot. It would be like a Candian going to a small town in North Dakota and making blanket statements about ALL Americans.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM

179 posts, read 662,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
No, we really don't, actually
LOL That reminded me of this cool documentary I watched about a Torontonian who went on a trip across Canada to promote "Toronto Appreciation Day" because he found out that rest of Canada hates Toronto.

You guys should watch it if you can, it's very entertaining.

HotDocs Doc Library | Let's All Hate Toronto

Old 04-02-2012, 06:17 PM

506 posts, read 1,081,643 times
The analogy 'Toronto is to Phoenix as Canada is to the USA' makes very little sense.

You made a regional move as well as a national one, remember that. Also, I've found that people in cities tend to be much less friendly. I know and like Phoenix...one thing to understand is that PHX is probably less urban/city-like than any other major city I have ever visited. Toronto is almost four times as dense and in an entirely different league in terms of high-powered urban industry (finance, law, publishing, etc.)

Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 PM

29 posts, read 42,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanInCanada View Post
I just came up here from the southwest for college (currently a sophomore at University of Toronto), basically because I wanted something totally different and unique as my college experience.

In general I find this city interesting and eclectic, but my real beef is more with the students here as well as the locals. I just don't get it. I come from a city about the same size as Toronto (Phoenix) yet the people are WAY more personable back home. What's up with other students not wanting to socialize before/after class? What's up with the girls totally rejecting my advances? Why does customer service suck so badly? People may hold the door open for you here and say "Pardon me" instead of "HUH?" like we do, but seriously, I'm not impressed with Canadians so far.

On top of that I have seem AMPLE evidence that folks here are just in general less likely to do the right thing for the sake of being a good person. I've seen students totally outcast others - not even acknowledge them in group work, make stupid remarks to make them look bad, etc. - for no good reason. It's like high school all over again except even more immature.

Not to mention, around town here I've seen people in bad situations basically get the cold shoulder from others and especially from businesses. Need change for a $5? Need to use a phone? Have a flat tire? Trying to move something and could use a hand? Don't expect help from ANYONE here because it won't happen.

I'm starting to lose my patience with this place, and fast. I came here admittedly with some preconceived notions - basically a more tolerant, liberal, open-minded, compassionate, and civil populace - but I'm consistently let down with this place.

I recently read something that pretty much explains what I'm saying: Miranda Frum: Canadians vs. Americans: The Final Showdown of Manners.

Take heed especially to this:

"Although Americans, generally speaking, may seem loud when out in public, or unapologetic when they run into you in the street, I've found they are more likely to say good morning to you in the elevator, or come more quickly to your aid when you are in some sort of trouble. Manners are better than no manners, of course; but manners are something that can be taught. Actions speak louder than "please."
so you can't get a date and now you hate Toronto/Canada...mass generalization based on narrow experience is always intelligent......poor fella...funny how all of my anecdotal experience in Toronto/Canada is almost the opposite of yours

Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM

701 posts, read 895,724 times
Quote:
I just came up here from the southwest for college (currently a sophomore at University of Toronto), basically because I wanted something totally different and unique as my college experience.

In general I find this city interesting and eclectic, but my real beef is more with the students here as well as the locals. I just don't get it. I come from a city about the same size as Toronto (Phoenix) yet the people are WAY more personable back home. What's up with other students not wanting to socialize before/after class? What's up with the girls totally rejecting my advances? Why does customer service suck so badly? People may hold the door open for you here and say "Pardon me" instead of "HUH?" like we do, but seriously, I'm not impressed with Canadians so far.

On top of that I have seem AMPLE evidence that folks here are just in general less likely to do the right thing for the sake of being a good person. I've seen students totally outcast others - not even acknowledge them in group work, make stupid remarks to make them look bad, etc. - for no good reason. It's like high school all over again except even more immature.

Not to mention, around town here I've seen people in bad situations basically get the cold shoulder from others and especially from businesses. Need change for a $5? Need to use a phone? Have a flat tire? Trying to move something and could use a hand? Don't expect help from ANYONE here because it won't happen.

I'm starting to lose my patience with this place, and fast. I came here admittedly with some preconceived notions - basically a more tolerant, liberal, open-minded, compassionate, and civil populace - but I'm consistently let down with this place.

I recently read something that pretty much explains what I'm saying: Miranda Frum: Canadians vs. Americans: The Final Showdown of Manners.

Take heed especially to this:

"Although Americans, generally speaking, may seem loud when out in public, or unapologetic when they run into you in the street, I've found they are more likely to say good morning to you in the elevator, or come more quickly to your aid when you are in some sort of trouble. Manners are better than no manners, of course; but manners are something that can be taught. Actions speak louder than "please."
<sarcasm on>

Gee, what is it about these Americans? I've been at ASU for a year now and I gotta say, I'm getting pretty fed up. They actually are fighting for students to be allowed to bring handguns onto campus and into class? And that Arizona governor and immigration law? Anyone remotely brown looking gets arrested on the spot? And that Arizona senator, what's his name? McCain? - who wants to bomb Iran, Syria and anything he can get his bomby little hands on? And he was a legitimate candidate for president, you know the guy who gets to deploy the nukes? And the fact border states like Arizona and its gun laws there allow narcotraffickers to be armed better than the army in Mexico and commit brutalities so horrific they can't even be described.

But that's ok, because America is still the land of opportunity. Unless you're a teacher, in which case they'll take away your pensions that you've counted on for 2 decades so they can give Mitt Romney all the money you earned. But that's ok, it's a democracy. I'm sure it'll all get worked out in Congress. Oh wait, congress is owned by lunatics, corporations and the hard core right wing billionaire Koch brothers. But surely the members will do the right thing. Oh wait, they don't have time. They need to raise nearly $20,000 a DAY just to have a chance at re-election, so they bend over for big oil and any other corporate interest group who'll throw them a bone. What about a nation "of the people and for the people". Meh, screw 'em. Who cares if they don't have health care. Who cares if they bankrupt their whole family because they can't afford the checkup that would have found that cancer that eventually kills them.

In Arizona they'll definitely help you change a tire. And then either put a gun in your face and steal your car, or go back to panhandling trying to survive the 130 degree temperatures because ASU prof Daniel Klein says global warming is a big hoax. But luckily your progressive Senator will stand up for what's right. Oh wait, she got shot in the face.

A real paradise, this Arizona.

</sarcasm off>

Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,286,964 times
Canadians are kind polite peaceful people- but they are likely to keep to themselves. It is very true that Toronto and Vancouver are indifferent cold-feeling places where people mind their own business and DONT hold doors for each other. But I wouldnt consider the people rude at all. I do find the seniors there can be uptight, but I attribute a British connection to that.

Conversely, they also tend not to be as judgmental and pigeonhole groups of ppl the way Americans do. If you are DIFFERENT- it just doesnt seem to matter so much in Canada...So it's a trade-off. People up there generally wont give a rat's aXX if you have pink hair, nose rings etc etc - cant say the same about the US Sunbelt.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,567,148 times
Quote:

..... I wanted something totally different and unique as my college experience.

..... What's up with the girls totally rejecting my advances?

..... I'm not impressed with Canadians so far.

..... Don't expect help from ANYONE here because it won't happen.

..... I'm starting to lose my patience with this place, and fast. I came here admittedly with some preconceived notions .....
Well, it looks like you did find something totally different and unique as your college experience. Now that your preconceived notions about Canadians bending over backwards to help you have been dashed to the ground and you've realized you're not impressed with Canadians and the Canadians you've met aren't impressed with you ..... get over it and forget about being a helpless social butterfly. Help yourself. Get on with your education. Isn't that what you really came here to do?

Don't expect a lot of sympathy because you're feeling not helped. Nobody in Canada owes you anything. Nobody else cares about being impressed by you or about impressing you and helping you. Stop being impatient waiting for yourself and Canadians to be impressive and helpful with each other and just focus on your education. Your education really is the most important thing for you and you need to stand on your own two feet and get on with what is most important. EDUCATION. You can do all that helpful, generous social butterfly stuff when you go back home after you've gotten the education you came up here for. Or else go back home and finish your education there. It really doesn't matter one way or the other to Canada and complaining about it isn't going to help you or make any difference to Canadians. Complaining just makes you sound like a whiner.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-02-2012 at 11:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada