U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:56 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,776,239 times

Advertisements

It is a basic law and principle that goes way back...The definition of the word '

Old 04-20-2012, 05:05 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,776,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It is a basic law and principle that goes way back...The definition of the word '
COUNTRY - signifies real estate- land.

NATION - signifies tribe or extended national family.

If a tribal leader is to be chosen or one asserts themselves..it is important that they be a member of the family and have firm loyalty to the protection of familiar turf.

Where as a person that is NOT a national family member have no right to enter into a position of dominance over those they are not loyal too. It is old fashioned but tried and true by time and tradition...It would be as if a stranger enters into your home and demands authority...

Canadians are not known for their fierce loyalty to family let alone national family. We are familiar whores in a sense..and more married to the state than each other.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:16 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Obviously, you missed the point of my post.

First, we fought two wars (the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812) against the British to win and maintain our freedom.

What war and against what enemy did Canada fight to win her independence??
We did fight on numerous occasions to maintain our independence, but we did not fight the British as until recently the English Canadians considered themselves to be British. We fought hard in 1812 to maintain our independence from the United States. We also fought against the US funded Fenian invasions. Britain was never who we worried about being independent from, America was always who we struggled against for independence. When given the choice, the Province of Quebec feared American annexation over British control so chose Britain in the revolutionary war. We truly became a nation when we fought at Vimy Ridge in World War One against the Germans and were so instrumental in winning the Great War for the allies that we gained the respect we needed to be granted almost full sovereignty. The experience of fighting as one Canadian army against the Germans, independent of Britain, is what bound the provinces together and fostered the idea of Canada as an individual nation. It's different from how the US gained independence, but there was alot of bloodshed involved.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:13 AM

7,255 posts, read 6,591,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Obviously, you missed the point of my post.
Honestly, I didn't miss any of the points to your posts. Don't take it personally but I don't have to agree with your points and I don't. As to the rest of your last post, I think Bimbam has responded far more eloquently than I would have so I'll just say kudos to Bimbam's last post and leave it at that.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:39 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,162,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

Canadians are not known for their fierce loyalty to family let alone national family. We are familiar whores in a sense..and more married to the state than each other.
What complete and utter nonsense.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,512,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
We did fight on numerous occasions to maintain our independence, but we did not fight the British as until recently the English Canadians considered themselves to be British. We fought hard in 1812 to maintain our independence from the United States. We also fought against the US funded Fenian invasions. Britain was never who we worried about being independent from, America was always who we struggled against for independence. When given the choice, the Province of Quebec feared American annexation over British control so chose Britain in the revolutionary war. We truly became a nation when we fought at Vimy Ridge in World War One against the Germans and were so instrumental in winning the Great War for the allies that we gained the respect we needed to be granted almost full sovereignty. The experience of fighting as one Canadian army against the Germans, independent of Britain, is what bound the provinces together and fostered the idea of Canada as an individual nation. It's different from how the US gained independence, but there was alot of bloodshed involved.
Thank you for your response. I learned something I didn't know and I have a different perspective on the Canadian mindset, especially towards us. If I came across a little belligerently and too defensively, please accept my apologies but like a lot of Americans, I get sick and tired of people talking s*** about us without really knowing our history. I appreciate you taking the time to patienetly and intelligently enlighten me.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,356,852 times
Nobody in America gives a crap about the birther stuff. A few charlatans push it too make some moey,that's all.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:07 AM

469 posts, read 602,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
We also fought against the US funded Fenian invasions.
I just read the Wikipedia article about the Fenian Invasions of Canada. I never heard about that in the American history classes I took throughout my years of schooling. I can see why it would be a major issue in Canadian history. I didn't read that the U.S. government actually funded the Fenians, but they did seem to support them passively by not taking action against them before their invasions.

God bless,

CKB

Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM

701 posts, read 534,038 times
Loved my time in Canada, but Canada not nationalist?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM

63 posts, read 40,566 times
Many Americans have fathers, grand fathers and great grand-fathers along down the line who died fighting for our country. Overwhelmingly, our ancestors kicked a** and took numbers; we won a lot of wars in the pursuit of worthwhile ideals. Lots of people struggled and died.

Even though many of us have grown up living easy Western lives, we have a very violent history as a people. Lots of sadness and emotion is intertwined in that.

Canadians, in general, cannot relate to this in any meaningful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or